• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sam Warburton retires

As I stated in the Cardiff Blues News thread, pretty devastated about this atm.

A great shame, he was a fine player and always came across as a nice bloke and a good leader.

Sadly not remotely surprised by this. As with so many players its a shame that injury has curtailed his career and he couldn't go out on his own terms, but he can look back with pride on a fine career.

Sad news,
You never hear a bad word against him, and he comes across really well in interviews and his punditry - I'm sure he won't be a stranger in rugby coverage going forwards
He achieved a hell of a lot in his career for a guy not even 30

Glad he is putting health first. A warrior to be fair and at 29 has had a career many would dream of.
A lovely gent off the field too who served Wales brilliant as captain and an ambassador.
Best of luck in the next chapter

Real shame injury forced him out at 29 although he's achieved plenty still. Great player and captain and a top ambassador for the game. Hope he does well in retirement and has something to look forward to.

Strong decision from a strong character . It's a shame when injury cuts short ones career. Pob lwc Sam .

Too many guys challenging for his position in both Regional and International teams. A wise decision.

Too many guys challenging for his position in both Regional and International teams. A wise decision.

Don't think that had anything to do with it tbh, as at his fully fit best he's one of the first names on the teamsheet. Type of guy who was probably spurred on by the competition of the other 7s coming through for the Blues and for Wales.

I'll always remember that tackle he made on Tuilagi.

I hope SO'B isn't next.

I'll always remember that tackle he made on Tuilagi.

I hope SO'B isn't next.

Media isn't working for me but if it's the one I'm thinking of (Warbs chasing back and although it looks like Tuilagi is too far away, Warbs dives and somehow reaches him and brings him down) that was one helluva tackle.

If it's not that one, I might have to have a quick Warbs tackle Youtube search?

It shows the standing of Sam that nobody has a bad word to say about him.
A true warrior and gent.. I hope he is as successful in whatever career he chooses next.

It shows the standing of Sam that nobody has a bad word to say about him.
A true warrior and gent.. I hope he is as successful in whatever career he chooses next.

I've seen a few kiwis calling him a cheat because of the end of the 3rd Lions test ... don't ever underestimate the internet's capacity to be petty and mean-spirited!

Personally, I find it very sad that he has to retire so young, it must be hard for him. I'll reiterate what others have said that he's a class act as a human being, as well as a world-class player

Media isn't working for me but if it's the one I'm thinking of (Warbs chasing back and although it looks like Tuilagi is too far away, Warbs dives and somehow reaches him and brings him down) that was one helluva tackle.

If it's not that one, I might have to have a quick Warbs tackle Youtube search?

Hopefully that should work.

Latest posts