TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_48008782_samwarburton.jpg

Flanker Sam Warburton has been ruled out of Wales' two-Test tour to New Zealand this month.

The 21-year-old open-side suffered a jaw fracture in the first half of Wales' 31-34 loss to South Africa in the Millennium Stadium on Saturday.

Despite that, Warburton played on and impressed against the Springboks but a scan after the game revealed the break.

Ospreys lock Ian Gough has been called up, as Wales have Dragons number seven Gavin Thomas already with the squad.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/8724713.stm

Gatland swallow some pride and get Delve in the mix.

Don't agree with getting Delve in. He won't be available for the majority of Wales' games leading up to the world cup, so it'll be hard for him to get more gametime than these two games. For me that rules him out of contention. He chose to go to Melbourne, when there was a good offer made by the Blues. If he'd taken that, he'd 100% be involved right now.

I think Gatland will go for Turnbull, who's probably the next in line. He's covered 7 for the Scarlets, and looked good there.

This is a massive blow for both Wales and Warberton. He looked at home v SA, and I was excited to see how he went against NZ.

Is Bearman injured too? Wales are going to have to pick him eventually, well better than Thomas for a start.

Don't agree with getting Delve in. He won't be available for the majority of Wales' games leading up to the world cup, so it'll be hard for him to get more gametime than these two games. For me that rules him out of contention. He chose to go to Melbourne, when there was a good offer made by the Blues. If he'd taken that, he'd 100% be involved right now.

I think Gatland will go for Turnbull, who's probably the next in line. He's covered 7 for the Scarlets, and looked good there.

This is a massive blow for both Wales and Warberton. He looked at home v SA, and I was excited to see how he went against NZ.

At the moment they are going to need some experience in the backrow. Remember this tour will be physical and he has yet played for the Rebels. The fact also he is problem down South already should also be considered.

I see where you are coming from Cymro. A stop-gap for this tour would make sense. Would you play him and Ryan in the same backrow, or have Delve on the bench with McCusker and Gavin Thomas starting?

MunsterMan. Yup Bearman is still injured. He would be a good addition to the squad, but picking him wouldn't exactly be looking to the future! I honestly can't see Gatland playing him now, last year's Autumn internationals/this years 6 nations maybe, but he was injured for both, and he's just too old to be startign an international career. Gatland prefers to pick youngsters tbh, just look at Prydie!

Last edited:
I see where you are coming from Cymro. A stop-gap for this tour would make sense. Would you play him and Ryan in the same backrow, or have Delve on the bench with McCusker and Gavin Thomas starting?

Id have him on the bench. You got to give the McCusker and Thomas a go. Delve on the bench would just add a bit of experience. If you were to play Jones and Delve then you would look at Delve at 6. Although at 8 he probably is a bit more physical.

Turnbull turned out an invitation to train with the squad around the time they realised Powell could be out because his girlfriend has recently given birth.

Gough called up, so I'm asuming AWJ becomes a cover 6, with JT the cover 7. I'd have a backrow of McCusker-G. Thomas-Ryan, as McCusker and Thomas have been fantastic for the Scarlets and Dragons respectivly this year, and Ryan is the captain and therefor must play. JT has been an average Magners League second-row. Not an international-class back-row.

Since that injury JT has not been the same. My only problem with Gav Thomas is that he is a little chunky for my liking of being a 7.

In the long run, exposing these players to top class international rugby should be a good thing. McCusker could be another find in the Bradley Davies mould, we don't know untill he's tried and tested. Similar thing with gavin Thomas, he's a much better player now than the last time he played for Wales, and we may just find out we have three quality sevens available to us by the time the World Cup rolls around.

Add to this the players that are out injured which should be back early next season and we will have given gametime to a number of backrow players. The likes of Lydiate, Bearman, Dafydd Jones and Powell aren't available, but all have shown in the past capable at this level (to an extent). Add them back into the mix, and things aren't looking bad atall at flanker.

8 is the problem position in the pack. If Ryan get's injured, what do we do? The only option I can think of is to play Jon Thomas at 8, and that's nowhere neer good enough!

Cymro, I think Gavin Thomas has actually improved sinse putting some weight on. I always thought he was a smallish player when he was at the Scarlets (for his position anyway), and never looked half as strong and aggressive as he has been at the Dragons. We;ll have to wait and see, as it could go either way with him really.

I recall Gavin Thomas playing at 8 for the Dragons earlier in the season. he's the right size, anyway, and at random points in the game seems to switch the the back of the scrum.

Latest posts