• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Samoa leaves Pacific Rugby Alliance

M

munross

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Samoa has split from the Pacific Islands Rugby Alliance, likely spelling an end to the Pacific Islanders team which plays tests against top rugby nations.

The Samoan Rugby Union this week informed fellow Alliance members Fiji and Tonga of its intention to withdraw, saying the merged Pacific Island team had failed to produce financial benefits sought by member unions.

"We've already advised (PIRA) of that decision by Samoa," Samoa Rugby Union chief executive Peter Schuster told the Samoa Observer newspaper.

"The original concept was basically to provide an opportunity (to play) every two years.

"There were two aims, to get revenue to help in the running of the activities of the unions (and) to provide players with the opportunity to play against tier one sides.

"But the International Rugby Board (IRB) changed the schedule for the Pacific Islands team to play every four years. Every four years won't generate the revenue needed to run our rugby."

Samoa said the Pacific Islanders concept was designed to increase the profile of Pacific rugby and attract sponsorship but that would be better achieved by teams played tests individually.

The Samoan Rugby Union also this week withdrew its expression of interest in fielding a team in an expanded Super 14 tournament.

Samoa was the only Pacific nation invited by Super 14 bosses SANZAR to bid for a place in the enlarged Super 15 competition but Schuster said the island nation did not have the financial resources or facilities to support a team at this stage.

"Unfortunately our stadium at Apia Park is not a full (international) rugby ground," Schuster told the Observer.

"It doesn't meet the width and length of a full international field."

Schuster said a Super Rugby competition might eventually expand to 18 or 20 teams and Samoa would re-examine participation at that time.

It was also eager to discuss with Australia whether Samoan players might join a new franchise based there.

"From what I can gather it's a choice between Melbourne, Gold Coast and western Sydney," he said.

"They're not sure yet whether it will be in Melbourne but we've already indicated ... that we'd like to have a relationship with the new team."[/b]
www.rugbyweek.co.za

Okay so there goes the Pacific Island team...I still think, rather then to wait for two years to be able to play rugby as one team or to wait for Super rugby to become the Super 18 or 20 why not make the Tri-Nations the 7Nations tournament with SA, NZ, Aus, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and Argentina that plays each other every year or leave the Tri-Nations as it is with SA, NZ & Aus and create a new 4Nations tournament with Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and Argentina.I know there is already a Pacific Nations Cup but that includes Australia A and the Junior AB's and also Japan, they must scrap Australia A and the Junior AB's from that tournament and only let the International teams play, Japan I guess can also be included so that will make it the 5Nations tournament.

Or they must bring back tours, like eg. Wales that goes and tours the Pacific Island and plays a game against Tonga, a game against Samoa and a game against Fiji and not the combined team of those 3 countries.

Read this myself a couple of days ago on Planet Rugby. Thought the idea of Samoan players joining with a new Aussie franchise was intereting seeing as there's only so mant that tha Australians can support themselves before the talent gets spread a bit thin.

I've never bought into the whole Pacific Islands thing myself. Always fancied that it was a bit of a money making scheme. Seeing as the Lions with a 6 match run in can't beat the big teams it was always going to be a push for the Pacific Nations wit no run in to challange any top teir nation and in the end they only ever got that one win against Italy (and did that even happen or am I imagining things?)

I feel that Tha pacific nations will develop better playing games on as their own entity. I like the sound of IK JDV's suggestion of a Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Japan, Argentina competition. Argentina would probably have to do it as a tour given the distance which could work out rather expensive.

I also agree that perhaps the 6 nations sides should all play a match against one of these sides on their way to Australia or NZ for their tours, hence giving them more competative internationals. Something the IRB should be encouraging perhaps.

Personally I'm really looking forward to Fiji visiting Ireland in the November Internationals. Bit more interesting to be than the Pacific Islanders who came with a bit of a 'Look how hard we tackle' mentality opposed to the Fiji 'look at us playing 7s with 15 men' mentality.

Latest posts