• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Samoa - money money money

Last edited:
You know if that All Blacks test next year was played in Auckland instead of Apia the Samoan Rugby Union would make a lot more money........

Seriously though it is pretty stink for Samoa. This is a time when they have actually got a team which has put out some consistent performances against the Tier 1 nations but it seems like it hasn't paid off much for them. I would hope that Samoa do get good gate takings out of the game at Twickenham.

we've no guarantee what degree is genuine on that report, who's really lying, who's lying a little bit, who's completely telling the truth...but one thing's for sure, and that, completely certain: Samoan Rugby is getting screwed over, there's a shiitton of corruption mostly at the top, and Samoa could be easily better in decent, not even ideal, but just decent conditions. It's nothin but a shame.

To be honest I think Tuilaepa Sailele is an absolute petulant idiot. If I were a Samoan player I'd hold my ground. His condescending remarks about the players - which he makes a point of noting some of them can't speak Samoan (which is probably what you expect when you recruit players not born in Samoa..), notes that they are only earning money because of exposure from the SRU's teams (also not true), and that they are petulant because they expect fair compensation and not have to pay their own air fares. Then making digs that it's hard to get money when they lose so often. Seriously, SRU is so poorly run with corrupt officials - including and especially their PM. Disgraceful.

Last edited:
To be honest I think Tuilaepa Sailele is an absolute petulant idiot. If I were a Samoan player I'd hold my ground. His condescending remarks about the players - which he makes a point of noting some of them can't speak Samoan (which is probably what you expect when you recruit players not born in Samoa..), notes that they are only earning money because of exposure from the SRU's teams (also not true), and that they are petulant because they expect fair compensation and not have to pay their own air fares. Then making digs that's it's hard to get money when they lose so often. Seriously, SRU is so poorly run with corrupt officials - including and especially their PM. Disgraceful.

... but they can't really hold their ground, can they? They aren't being supported by anyone, particularly not the IRB!

The players have a valid point, that if they do hold their ground (strike), then they effectively destroy what they are fighting for, by losing the AB test in Apia, being thrown out of the RWC, and the Olympics

... but they can't really hold their ground, can they? They aren't being supported by anyone, particularly not the IRB!

The players have a valid point, that if they do hold their ground (strike), then they effectively destroy what they are fighting for, by losing the AB test in Apia, being thrown out of the RWC, and the Olympics

It seems to me that if the SRU isn't even willing to send representatives to discuss the matter - with representatives from the IRB and IRPA - then it's not really the players problem. Yes it will be disappointing to miss out on those opportunities, and the players are in an extremely tough position, but it may lead to SRU caving in and having to provide some transparency. I have a feeling that if SRU can't provide some detailed account as to where the IRBs money is going, they will be in some serious trouble anyway!

I am ignorant of the Samoan government's setup let alone it's sporting administrations but it really is a shame if the infrastructure that should be there to support the XV on the field actually works actively against the best XV. As a South African I can empathize. Hope the fans back the players as it seems to me- with my admittedly less than tenuous grasp of the situation- that the top structures come across as a little rotten.

I am ignorant of the Samoan government's setup let alone it's sporting administrations but it really is a shame if the infrastructure that should be there to support the XV on the field actually works actively against the best XV. As a South African I can empathize. Hope the fans back the players as it seems to me- with my admittedly less than tenuous grasp of the situation- that the top structures come across as a little rotten.

...noooooooooooooooooooooo...

you're just...you're just jealous.
(??)

It seems to me that if the SRU isn't even willing to send representatives to discuss the matter - with representatives from the IRB and IRPA - then it's not really the players problem. Yes it will be disappointing to miss out on those opportunities, and the players are in an extremely tough position, but it may lead to SRU caving in and having to provide some transparency. I have a feeling that if SRU can't provide some detailed account as to where the IRBs money is going, they will be in some serious trouble anyway!

Yes, transparency is probably all that's required to finalise/make the England test go ahead, but I'm not sure that the Players have the right to jeopardise the rights/opportunities of future players (they don't seem to want to anyway) ... I'm sure if it was the IRB's money, they'd be all over it by now, but my understanding is that a lot of it was donations from the Samoan people, so whether the IRB has any interest or to force accountability of the SRU, remains to be seen.

... Here's another pro-SRU article http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/63326460/Samoan-team-put-nation-to-ransom-says-PM

For sake of Samoan Rugby, just open the books so this issue can be laid to rest

Yes, transparency is probably all that's required to finalise/make the England test go ahead, but I'm not sure that the Players have the right to jeopardise the rights/opportunities of future players (they don't seem to want to anyway) ... I'm sure if it was the IRB's money, they'd be all over it by now, but my understanding is that a lot of it was donations from the Samoan people, so whether the IRB has any interest or to force accountability of the SRU, remains to be seen.

... Here's another pro-SRU article http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/63326460/Samoan-team-put-nation-to-ransom-says-PM

For sake of Samoan Rugby, just open the books so this issue can be laid to rest

Unlikely that the books will be opened or if they are they will likely be heavily falsified.

Unfortunately, you have to understand the inherent corruption within Samoan politics and Government to know that this won't be resolved until there is a complete clean out of the SRU. That won't happen as it is/was a revenue generator for the current PM. Tuilaepa is about as corrupt as they come and also as smart. He's attached himself as the Samoa Rugby League as well. Unfortunately, because of the governments popularity and the money that gets filtered down to keep others happy, it's unlikely to happen very soon. Even if Tuilaepa resigns, as long as he has people within the SRU, he'll always have his hands on it.

For the betterment of the Samoan rugby, I honestly believe it's best that the AB's cancel the game OR every International Samoan eligible player just boycott playing for Samoa. A Samoan team without any international based/born/raised players would make it (unfortunately) a laughing stock.

^ interesting post. Confirms a number of things that looked rather clear to me. Nice to have a Samoan input here.

Unlikely that the books will be opened or if they are they will likely be heavily falsified.

Unfortunately, you have to understand the inherent corruption within Samoan politics and Government to know that this won't be resolved until there is a complete clean out of the SRU. That won't happen as it is/was a revenue generator for the current PM. Tuilaepa is about as corrupt as they come and also as smart. He's attached himself as the Samoa Rugby League as well. Unfortunately, because of the governments popularity and the money that gets filtered down to keep others happy, it's unlikely to happen very soon. Even if Tuilaepa resigns, as long as he has people within the SRU, he'll always have his hands on it.

For the betterment of the Samoan rugby, I honestly believe it's best that the AB's cancel the game OR every International Samoan eligible player just boycott playing for Samoa. A Samoan team without any international based/born/raised players would make it (unfortunately) a laughing stock.

Thanks for the background info ... it seems that SRU have now missed two meetings to attempt to resolve this issue.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/63403860/Samoa-rugby-officials-got-the-date-wrong

Word Rugby (I'm going to have trouble getting use to that name), should now issue the same ultimatum to the SRU, regarding loss of games, if they don't attend these meetings, and open the books ... the players should play against England, and then if the ABs game, RWC, and Olympics don't happen, it will show who's being selfish.

It would also be interesting if the international players from other teams, will escalate from more than just tweets of support

money's good....

Mmmkay ?

And if there's a way you can make money...that's gonna be good...
Mmkay.

amoa's hard-talking prime minister has launched a fresh attack on his country's rugby team and said they've got to stop showing off before they get any pay rises.Tuilaepa Sa'ilele, who is also chairman of the Samoan Rugby Union, has also hit out at the Manu Samoan team for their failed bid to get rid of board members.
Last month the team threatened to boycott their match against England but were told by World Rugby – the new name for the International Rugby Board (IRB) – if they did that next year's All Black match in Apia would be cancelled.
Tuilaepa now says the team had a point over the Twickenham match.
The Samoa vs England game had ticket sales worth WSD$8 million (NZ$4 million) of which Samoa got just a "lousy €$50,000 compared to $1 million that was given to the All Blacks."
His comments came as Samoa named its sevens team for the Dubai and South African legs.
It includes former New Zealand sevens and Chiefs player Tim Nanai-Williams.
According to the Samoa Observer Tuilaepa cautioned the players against showing off.
He reminded them that many opportunities are lost because some players simply think they know it all.
"Most of the time you haven't reached the try line and yet you are already walking," Tuilaepa said.
"Stop being show offs. The spectators despise it when they see it."
He told the players to ignore the media.
He said in his reign he had only ever made two recommendations to the selectors.
One of them, he said, was over the former New Zealand player Tasesa James, now with the English club Sale, for the 2011 World Cup game against Wales. To this day he is blamed for the loss of that match.
"I advised them not to pick Tasesa," the prime minister said.
"They did not accept my advice and you all know that it was through Tasesa that we lost the game."
He urged sponsors to use the sevens side.
"Peanuts are for monkeys. If you give us ten times the amount that you've given us, the government will salute you."
Manu Samoa players have not said publicly who they want removed from the rugby board but Tuilaepa named them today - board member and member of parliament Lefau Harry Schuster and official Tuala Mathew Vaea.
The prime minister said he was not going to replace them as they were valuable and it had nothing to do with the players.
"It is not for them to decide," he said.
"Their duty is to play and win. If they win, win, win, it makes it a lot easier for us to find sponsors to help us."
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...le-blasts-show-off-players-rules-out-pay-rise

Disingenuous c*nt doesn't even begin to describe this muppet! Lying b*stard pretty much describes him too

And WTF is the country's leader doing on the board of Samoan Rugby; can anyone imagine John Key dictating NZRU policy, or David Cameron telling the RFU what allowance it can pay its players.

There are a lot of shady goings-on in the administration of Samoan rugby... too many political snouts in the trough if you ask me!

Disingenuous c*nt doesn't even begin to describe this muppet! Lying b*stard pretty much describes him too

And WTF is the country's leader doing on the board of Samoan Rugby; can anyone imagine John Key dictating NZRU policy, or David Cameron telling the RFU what allowance it can pay its players.

There are a lot of shady goings-on in the administration of Samoan rugby... too many political snouts in the trough if you ask me!

Exactly my thoughts and just what I was about to say. The rugby has nothing to do with him, he should stick his fat nose out of it. I bet that money went on fancy dinners and hotels, all that sort of crap. Probably took a share to fund political campaigning. I love how he has a go at the players for being show offs. If anyone is showing off, it's his arrogant ass.

I know it's easy to say from the outside, but stuff them. I'd have nothing to do with it and would be trying to see what colleagues I could get on board to walk out the organization until they can prove they've sorted their **** out. Zero tolerance for that bull****.

Latest posts