• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Samoa - money money money

€$50,000

Well....which was it? Euros? Dollars?
Why would the RFU pay in either of those when we use £ here? That does seem very very low - either he's bull****ting or that's a really crappy deal, especially as the attendance was only 150 shorter for the Samoa game (I presume the tickets were more expensive for the All Blacks, but not enough that it creates 950k extra).

That whole article is just crazy though, and really paints this guy in a bad light. He shouldn't have anything to do with the Samoan Rugby Union.

I can't claim to be an expert on the Pacific Island culture, but I've seen enough documentaries and heard sufficient Pacific insight to know that corruption is rife for our Island neighbors. Not just Samoa either. Disaster relief fund money given to Tonga in the past has magically gone towards propping up replacement buildings an extra two stories, or creating a pier at the beach, and generally things that weren't agreed to by the Chinese bank who lent the money. It happens a lot.

Again, I'm not an expert, but I don't think traditionally countries like Samoa and Tonga are people to question authority. Very private, reserved, religious people. Not really sure what the oversight, auditing and scrutiny of the men at the top are like. Clearly not world standard though.

For anyone interested in reading the report from an audit of the SRU during 2011. It certainly favour some of the allegation of corruption, particularly in regards to benefits of SRU officials during that point in time (and some interesting missing records).

http://www.samoaobserver.ws/home/headlines/12374-revealed-unions-2011-audit-report

Slightly older news, it appears SRU are getting sued by the Australian jersey manufacturer they were using.

Looks like the ***le triggered the bot. In other news, when this thread was last posted in, Russia has annexed Crimea earlier this year, Cameron was PM in that coalition, Suarez bit someone and Scotland voted to remain in the UK.

Latest posts