Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
SANZAR unveil Rugby Championship trophy

Rugby_Championship1.jpg

SANZAR have revealed the new trophy that will be awarded to the winner of the Four Nation Rugby Championship which replaces the TriNations.

The exciting new evolution of the Tri-Nations kicks off on 18 August with the Rugby Championship featuring three double World Champions in the All Blacks, Springboks and Wallabies, as well as the exciting addition of the Argentinean Pumas.

The new trophy will be presented to the winner each year from 2012 onwards. Each team is to play the other three at home and away with the total competition points after the 12 matches deciding the winner.

SANZAR CEO Greg Peters explained the thinking behind the trophy,"The new trophy embodies all the elements of The Rugby Championship," he said.

"A competition of the best versus the best in world rugby, with the four teams competing ranked one, two, three and eight in the world. "

"Over the years the competition and trophy will develop its own heritage and legacy and we look forward to that evolving."

The stainless-steel trophy was designed by Sydney based consultancy Blue Sky, and reflects The Rugby Championship logo by incorporating the 'H's' as the goal posts to support the bowl."

"The gold panels on the bowl signify the status of the trophy and will recognise the winner of the championship.

The trophy stands 56cm tall, and weighs approximately 5kg. It was made using the latest materials and state-of-the-art design processes, before being completed with a polish to bring the new trophy up with a mirror finish.

source: superxv

Anyone else think that creativity is making trophies more and more tacky? It looks like a novelty beer cup. I can't see that trophy being something that will last the test of time.

That being said, it's better than the ITM Cup trophy...

The problem these days with trophies is that the competitions change to rapidly, and with it the trophies change, for them to grow on the fans and turn into real historic trophies like for instance the UEFA Champions League trophy.

The only trophy that has that nostalgic feeling in rugby is the Currie Cup. Even the Webb Ellis Cup doesn't have that nostalgia yet... But it has just been around for less than 3 decades.

Look at the Super Rugby trophy. It's the 3rd design since the inaugural season of 1996. It looks tacky in a way but apart from the hideous gold colored parts I like the rugby posts being used in the design, being a referral to the new logo which also holds them.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

I'll raise you a Brennus Shield.

edit: the Bledisloe and Calcuta cup don't do bad either.

Last edited:
Okay okay, sorry lads ;)

Doesn't take anything away from my point though...

The Holy Ghost u13 cu[ has been going for over a hundred years.

The problem these days with trophies is that the competitions change to rapidly, and with it the trophies change, for them to grow on the fans and turn into real historic trophies like for instance the UEFA Champions League trophy.

The only trophy that has that nostalgic feeling in rugby is the Currie Cup. Even the Webb Ellis Cup doesn't have that nostalgia yet... But it has just been around for less than 3 decades.

Look at the Super Rugby trophy. It's the 3rd design since the inaugural season of 1996. It looks tacky in a way but apart from the hideous gold colored parts I like the rugby posts being used in the design, being a referral to the new logo which also holds them.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

I disagree. The problem isn't a lack of nostalgia, it's the fact that the trophies are ugly. The Heineken Cup hasn't been around all that long but it's a nice trophy, same goes for the 6 nations. The Super rugby and RC trophies just look cheap and tacky, it's nothing to do with a lack of tradition.

As far as ugly goes, its hard to go past this trophy!

2011561978.jpg

Last edited:
edit: removed to avoid looking like an idiot by not noticing the first page of thread

Last edited:
Generic Rugby Trophy #169
Still not as bad as the Pro12 or S15 one.

For me, to classiest and most iconic trophy is the Currie Cup.
14240.jpg

yeah, i wish the would make a more traditional trophy, name it after a couple of legends (the Tony Brown Cup....Kees Meeuws Trophy etc) and keep using it even when the comp changes, let these companies buy the naming rights but not a new trophy!

is the super 12 cup just sitting in chch somewhere gathering dust?

Last edited:
yeah, i will the would make a more traditional trophy, name it after a couple of legends (the Tony Brown Cup....Kees Meeuws Trophy etc) and keep using it even when the comp changes, let these companies buy the naming rights but not a new trophy!

The Tony Brown Cup, I don't care what it is or what it looks like, I would dedicate my life to winning it.
I think a glass replica of his head would be the best option.

The Tony Brown Cup, I don't care what it is or what it looks like, I would dedicate my life to winning it.
I think a glass replica of his head would be the best option.

I think i have one of those around here somewhere

Last edited:
it looks like the new super rugby trophy, did the same company design both trophies

Latest posts