TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_49694692_105615676-1.jpg

Saracens director of rugby Brendan Venter has been charged with misconduct following comments he made after his side's Heineken Cup defeat by Leinster.

Venter claimed European Rugby Cup (ERC) had not prepared its referees well enough to deal with new interpretations of laws around the breakdown.

He added a lack of action could mean "the game of rugby is going to die".

The South African, 40, has been called to appear in front of an Independent Disciplinary Committee on 4 November.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/saracens/9136553.stm

Gooooooooood
You shouldn't be allowed to make such ridiculous comments, and it's good to see the ERC are doing something about it

Doubt it'll shut him up though (he didn't pipe down after last season, no reason to start now =/ )

"The game of rugby is going to die"

Ever since that interview every time I hear or read this quote I can't help but laugh. It's no more than the ludicrous ramblings of an extremely sore loser.

... and to think PDV was looking for Assistant Springbok coaches ... how was he overlooked :p

serves him right. Let's put a muzzle on him and let him focus solely on the great job he's doing at Saracens.

Venter sounded like a fool making those comments but is it really worth throwing the book at him for it? His rants are laughable but it's certainly more entertaining than the inane comments most coaches come out with after a game. Let the issue die.

It's the same as players mouthing off to refs on the pitch, imo. Shouldn't happen/he should show greater self-restraint. Yes some of the things he say can be funny, but his comments about refs being fixed or whatever it was are unneccesary and it only takes one tabloid to latch onto one comment for it to bring the game into disrepute

Maybe while he's in Dublin for the Hearing he can go watch Leinster and see why Saracens really lost.

The more I hear of this guy, the more he sounds like a proper c***.

Yes some of the things he say can be funny, but his comments about refs being fixed or whatever it was are unneccesary
......but he didn't say that. He inferred that Berdos was poor (as did the Leinster camp) not corrupt.

Joe Schmidt said it right. When asked about Venter's comments he suggested that instead of making "state of the union" speeches, perhaps the Sarries coach should wonder why his team had the ball for 30 phases at the end of the game and couldn't create anything.

I don't think he should be charged - the ERC are as childish as he is by trying to bring him down like this. Fundamentally I'm a firm believer in free speech, if he feels a certain way about something he should be able to express it. The censorship of him may seem like a good thing for those to disagree with his comments, but if the premise is that one can be charged for ones comments it becomes all to easy for people who have genuine grievances to be frightened off expressing them or to be charged if the ERC don't like them or find them too uncomfortable.

Honestly I don't actually think he was even saying what he really thinks. I think he was just frustrated with his team and was trying to make excuses.

honestly i don't actually think he was even saying what he really thinks. I think he was just frustrated with his team and was trying to make excuses.

but rugby is gonna die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Imagine those words in CAPITALS cause that's how I wrote them.

Also, I'm Hammered

Latest posts