• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Saracens in shock talks with Fulham FC

P

Prestwick

Must have been late news for the Telegraph but this morning they report that Saracens are in talks with Fulham FC over a potential groundshare agreement at Craven Cottage.

This may shock some, especially the band of Sarries fans who are also part time S&M people and enjoy trudging miles from Watford Junction to watch a game/dodge falling masonry before huddling together in the only Rugby outpost in South Hertfordshire for miles (which, actually, is the rather damn awesome Rugby Pub, Druids).

Now, Craven Cottage to me sounds ideal especially with its Central London location. The fact that it isn't falling apart or stuck in an absolute dump of an area makes it pretty good as well. Anyone fancy a bit of Rugby fun on the banks of the Thames?

A combination of funding and planning issues. Building a new 15,000 seater stadium in Central London is laughably impossible due to incredibly high land value (even in this credit crunch era) and the most confusing and kafka-esque planning red tape this side of Italy.

Saracens were looking at buying a brownfield site in Watford and building there with the usual Shopping center/special homes thing to help finance it but in light of the recession thats out of the window.

Lulz, they've got Raad in their eyes so they're moving from one shockingly lifeless and condemned stadium to another hockingly lifeless and near-condemned stadium! :lol:

Let's see how many of the Watford fan-base follow them.

I am surprised Fulham are gonna allow this, due to some of the comments made about Pitch Quality... Christ didn't Bristol Rovers complain over the mess Bristol City made of their pitch...

But hey ho... Don't worry Bath will be the next to move to a Football Stadium, if the Charity Commission get their way killing the atmosphere at Bath, it would be like the Cardiff Arms Park outside the city centre of Cardiff...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jan 7 2009, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Must have been late news for the Telegraph but this morning they report that Saracens are in talks with Fulham FC over a potential groundshare agreement at Craven Cottage.

This may shock some, especially the band of Sarries fans who are also part time S&M people and enjoy trudging miles from Watford Junction to watch a game/dodge falling masonry before huddling together in the only Rugby outpost in South Hertfordshire for miles (which, actually, is the rather damn awesome Rugby Pub, Druids).

Now, Craven Cottage to me sounds ideal especially with its Central London location. The fact that it isn't falling apart or stuck in an absolute dump of an area makes it pretty good as well. Anyone fancy a bit of Rugby fun on the banks of the Thames?[/b]

If that's true then I'm delighted!

Firstly, Fulham is very convenient for me cos I work there and it only takes 20 mins to get to.

Secondly, I've been to Craven Cottage a number of times for football and it's great. I agree with Mite, Vicarage Road is a dreadful stadium, Watford is a dreadful place and it's only redeeming feature is being on the right side of the M25. CC is a nice crumbly old stadium, bang next to the Thames and it's lovely having a halftime pie looking over the river. Would be fantastic if we could groundshare there...

Plus it would put some camel **** up Quins' nose with them going on about being 'pride of London' and all that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jan 7 2009, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
A combination of funding and planning issues. Building a new 15,000 seater stadium in Central London is laughably impossible due to incredibly high land value (even in this credit crunch era) and the most confusing and kafka-esque planning red tape this side of Italy.

Saracens were looking at buying a brownfield site in Watford and building there with the usual Shopping center/special homes thing to help finance it but in light of the recession thats out of the window.[/b]

Ah okay it would be wonderful for sarries to have there own ground but s**t happens at least sarries will be in london now......unlike the exiles and the pests. :)

Latest posts