• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Saracens - Leicester Tigers (19/02/2012, 14:30)

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale

Aviva%20Premiership.png

Vicarage Road (19/02/2012, 14:30)
Saracens.png
Versus%20Prem.png
Leicester.png

Live on Sky Sports

Ugly looking drop goal, but its in the record books as a win. Surprised to see Flood didn't want to do it, certainly something for Lancaster to consider with next weekend in mind.

That was appalling from Flood, he had a fairly quiet game anyway but to shirk responsibility like that was poor. Fair enough he was probably petrified that if he missed he'd be vilified in the media but still...

On the basis of that I can't agree that he can be just thrown back into the England 10 shirt when he evidently hasn't got too much form or confidence about him. Tuilagi on the other hand looks like he's back to a decent level.

10. Farrell, 12. Barritt, 13. Tuilagi, 21. Flood I think would be the best option.

Pretty good game this.
Flood had a good showing, better form than he's been on recently (coincidence that it's when Youngs isn't at 9?).
I think it was Murphy taking charge rather than Flood bottling it. He was in the pocket then Murphy told him to move.

Good DG from Murphy at the end to seal it,though. Didn't particularly want Tigers to win it, as it moves them further up the table, but at the same time it's nice to see Sarries beaten at home :p

Last edited:
Best game of the weekend imo - last drop goal won't help Floods England chances. Pretty sure Farrell would have stepped right up to take it. Leicester will be congratulating themselves on winning it - but doesn't reflect very well on them given Saracens were missing their 1st choice 10,12,13, and that they were playing with there's.

Manu into the England 13 shirt, looks ready...

Pretty good game this.
Flood had a good showing, better form than he's been on recently (coincidence that it's when Youngs isn't at 9?).
I think it was Murphy taking charge rather than Flood bottling it. He was in the pocket then Murphy told him to move.

Good DG from Murphy at the end to seal it,though. Didn't particularly want Tigers to win it, as it moves them further up the table, but at the same time it's nice to see Sarries beaten at home :p

Although I haven't seen the game, I agree this is probably the case but my question is why would Murphy not want Flood who is supposedly an international class fly half to take the drop goal?

Pretty good game this.

Flood is an international 10 of 46 caps. He's played in finals, big 6N away games, a world cup final... kicking a drop goal to win a match is his job.

I can understand him not wanting to risk it until Leicester got to the 22. But after that there were a number of opportunities to finish the game (a hell of a lot of phases), and Flood didn't want it, so Murphy (not known for his kicking ability) had to come and stand in the pocket and take responsibility, kicking an awkward looking DG under pressure.

Hats off to Murphy, but for a fly half of Flood's calibre not to do that job himself is poor and doesn't indicate to me that he's ready to come straight back into the England team to play Wales.

Flood is an international 10 of 46 caps. He's played in finals, big 6N away games, a world cup final... kicking a drop goal to win a match is his job.

I can understand him not wanting to risk it until Leicester got to the 22. But after that there were a number of opportunities to finish the game (a hell of a lot of phases), and Flood didn't want it, so Murphy (not known for his kicking ability) had to come and stand in the pocket and take responsibility, kicking an awkward looking DG under pressure.

Hats off to Murphy, but for a fly half of Flood's calibre not to do that job himself is poor and doesn't indicate to me that he's ready to come straight back into the England team to play Wales.

Agree with all of this. Just watched the highlights programme on ITV, it was a fairly easy drop goal, straight in front of the posts and 20 metres out. Meat and drink for any out half worth his salt. Very concerning for England fans that he was unwilling to take it on.

I thought it was Grindall's fault it didn't come earlier than Floods, he was shouting and waving his arms around from the moment they crossed the 10m line.

Pretty good game this.

I think Murphy told him to move because Flood kept rejecting opportunities and it was clear he was too shaken to take it. Flood was more than happy to let Murphy take it. It was the simplest of positions for a drop goal. Flood has slipped right down in my estimations.

Latest posts