• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SARU confident over Kings S15 bid

S

Steve-o

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
SA Rugby are confident that they have a compelling case for the Southern Kings’ inclusion in the expanded Super Rugby competition in 2011.

The Kings will be up against a franchise from Melbourne for the 15th spot in the southern hemisphere tournament, and acting managing director of SA Rugby, Andy Marinos, was bullish about their prospects after they submitted a 60-page bid document.

‘The bid document makes a very exciting and compelling case for the Southern Kings’ inclusion,’ said Marinos. ‘SA Rugby has taken the lead in the organisation and preparation of the Bid Document with input from all stakeholders in the three provinces and, all together, it makes for an outstanding case.

‘We have put together a strong and sustainable business plan based on realistic sponsorship and attendance projections. In addition, the Kings’ Bid is not a case of having to reinvent the wheel â€" they can be operational very quickly: the Kings have a ready audience; they have a fantastic stadium; there is a rich heritage of rugby in all communities and a significant number of schools that continue to produce outstanding young players.

‘Key personnel with Super Rugby experience in Alan Solomons [director of rugby] and Stefan Pretorius [managing director] are ready to fill the main leadership roles and they have already identified players with top-level experience who are willing to sign in due course.’

Marinos added that they expected an average attendance of 24000 for home matches and explained that they could potentially have a budget that exceeds that of some current South African franchises. He also clarified the widely held assumption that the 15th franchise will be based in Melbourne because it will compete in the Australian conference.

‘That is far from the case,†said Marinos. ‘SANZAR has to make a decision that makes rugby sense and business sense and the Southern Kings fills both criteria. Even the claims that it makes logistical sense to be based in Australia do not stack up to close examination â€" the Kings would have only one more match overseas than does a South African franchise at the moment.’

The Kings would play six matches overseas â€" SA teams currently play five matches in Australasia every other season â€" while Australian teams would play three matches in South Africa, a schedule they currently enjoy every other season.

Solomons, who coached the Kings in their inaugural match against the British & Irish Lions, was confident that they would be competitive, explaining that they had identified a coaching team and ‘taken soundings with Super Rugby quality players both here and overseas.’

Marinos echoed that sentiment. ‘There are 74 South Africans playing in the French Top 14 and English Premiership compared to 20 Australians and plenty more where they came from looking for the opportunity of top flight rugby,’ said Marinos.

‘The Kings pulled together a very competitive team to take on the British & Irish Lions in June and only Derick Kuün could be counted as a current Super 14 player â€" it shows the depth that we can tap in to. The Kings are a franchise waiting to burst to life.’

SANZAR are expected to announce their decision on October 21. If a consensus cannot be reached the matter will go to arbitration.[/b]
http://www.keo.co.za/2009/09/26/sa-rugby-b...bout-kings-bid/

In connection with...

Melbourne’s Super 15 bid has suffered a major setback after losing it’s main sponsor on Wednesday.

VicSuper15, who was given majority control at the start of the project, withdrew their support because they claim they were forced out of the process.

VicSuper15 director Ray Evans said his association ran out of patience at a recent board meeting.

‘We were awarded the franchise and we actually had a draft agreement,’ he told rugbyheavan.com.au. ‘Then we went to the board meeting to be told that our draft was withdrawn. We were told that as we walked into the board meeting.

‘They indicated to us that the reason it was withdrawn was because the Victorian Rugby Union [VRU] was not prepared to work with us, but that is not our problem, that’s their problem to manage.’

The controversy began from the start when the ARU made the decision that Melbourne was going to be their fifth franchise bid, and then combining the rival parties to form one team.

The team consisted of VicSuper15, which is backed by Sydney businessman Kevin Maloney, a VRU-backed Melbourne Rebels and Belgravia headed by Melbourne Victory chairman Geoff Lord.

With Thursday the deadline for the Super 15 bid’s submission to Sanzar, the ARU realised that the parties could not be brought together and has now started the process of structuring a new financial model.

Maloney has not ruled out a return to the franchise, saying it depends on their future plans if they are successful.

‘All I can say is, one has to wait and see what the ARU might possibly come out with if they win the bid. If it’s a private franchise and they’re looking for equity investors, I’m in the mining business, I do understand the risk associated with it.

‘Melbourne is a premier sporting state, people do love sport, they do love sports no matter what, so if any state has got half a chance of making a successful franchise, they’ve got a better chance than most, so you’d be silly if you said â€no, I’m not going to consider itâ€.’

Sanzar will make their final decision between Melbourne and South Africa’s Southern Kings on 21 October.[/b]
http://www.keo.co.za/2009/09/24/melbourne-take-sponsor-blow/

Well an eventful week it has been indeed.
Melbourne was getting much hype these last couple of months, looking to be in front in terms of support. However in-fighting seems to be the downfall of yet another opportunity for Australian rugby union to get a foot hold in the football codes.
Come guys get your act together! Wasn't O'Neill employed because of his skill to secure deals like this?

I love both articles its all about the Southern Kings franchise vs Melbourne franchise. Not once do either article mention where the Southern Kings will be based. Shows how ridiculous the South African teams names are. Do they represent anything?

FWIW I think Port Elizabeth should get the franchise, but the Bloemfontein Cheetahs get kicked out. North Harbour or West Sydney should be looked ahead of Melbourne.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Sep 26 2009, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I love both articles its all about the Southern Kings franchise vs Melbourne franchise. Not once do either article mention where the Southern Kings will be based. Shows how ridiculous the South African teams names are. Do they represent anything?

FWIW I think Port Elizabeth should get the franchise, but the Bloemfontein Cheetahs get kicked out. North Harbour or West Sydney should be looked ahead of Melbourne.[/b]

What you talking bout Moe? It's very clearly based in Southern.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Sep 26 2009, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

FWIW I think Port Elizabeth should get the franchise, but the Bloemfontein Cheetahs get kicked out. North Harbour or West Sydney should be looked ahead of Melbourne.[/b]

All the Australian teams are state based...

It would be daft to have the NSW Waratahs... and the Western Sydney whatevers...

If they're going to persist in the format they've set out for the Super 15 tournament than Victoria must be awarded the next bid or it's going to be retarded to have a South African team in the Australian conference...

Would Sydney be able to support a second team? The Waratahs don't exactly attract fans in their droves.

I agree, a SA franchise in an "Australian" conference seems daft. A Victorian franchise based in Melbourne seems the best option if they can get the financing together. A question I'd have is whether the Australian playing base is large enough to support another team. Should Victoria win out, there'll be a hell of a lot of non-Australian players brought in to all their franchises in order to fill out the rosters.

Yep, that would be a marketing coup alright; plonk another Super Rugby franchise in a city where there already is one, thereby splitting the existing fan base between two teams, while leaving another city that has a large potential fan base of its own, with NO team. :rolleyes:

Daft!

Any one who thinks Melbourne does not have a rugby fan base....

New Zealand vs Australia at the MCG, Saturday, 26 July 1997: Attendance 90,119

New Zealand vs Australia at the MCG, Saturday, 11 July 1998: Attendance 75,127

New Zealand vs Australia at the MCG, Saturday, 30 June 2007: Attendance 79,322

Compare that with Football (Soccer), a popular sport in Melbourne. The last few times the Socceroos played at the MCG

2006 v Greece: Attendacne 95,103 *

2007 v Argentina: Attendance, 70,150

2009 v Japan: Attendance 69,238* this will have been boosted by the huge number of Greek descendants and ex-pats living in Melbourne

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (smartcooky @ Sep 27 2009, 05:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yep, that would be a marketing coup alright; plonk another Super Rugby franchise in a city where there already is one, thereby splitting the existing fan base between two teams, while leaving another city that has a large potential fan base of its own, with NO team. :rolleyes:

Daft!

Compare that with Football (Soccer), a popular sport in Melbourne. The last few times the Socceroos played at the MCG

2009 v Japan: Attendance 69,238* this will have been boosted by the huge number of Greek descendants and ex-pats living in Melbourne[/b]

Quite a few Melbournians went along to the games out of interest rather than support, there's a two flies thing happenng down there. How about less than 40k for Australia v Italy, with a huge Italian population to call on. I can guarantee after initial interest Melbourne crowds will die off fairly quickly once the AFL kicks back in, the MCG sells out for top club clashes as well btw. Just ask the Waratahs how hard it is to sell the game in the face of a major competiting sport, the Eels and Dogs got a crowd the Tahs could only dream of on Friday for example. If the Swans have a good season they'll out sell the Waratahs week in week out, and Sydney isn't noted as an AFL stronghold (only one team here, though the AFL keep insanely talking up a second team in the Western Suburbs).

The question no one is asking is will the Southerners support a team jam packed with foreigners and inter state players? There's not a lot of home grown talent to be perfectly frank. This is simply JON getting a national league up by stealth and using NZ and SA to help finance it. A second question for the existing franchises, and in particular the Force, will inter state games attract the large ex pat contingets that S14 gained. The answer there is a solid no, crowd averages are going to fall off for S15 from S14. Besides the clash with the Reds I have zero interest in getting along to the Tahs v Melbourne Handbags or Brumbies or anyone else.

IF the NZRU want to see what happens when rugby is centered in the major centers, they need to simply look across the Tasman JON has pretty much alientated the regions over here. We're in the midst of our rugby season here on the Coasts and local clubs are having to advertise for players in the face of falling numbers. Thanks JON, if wondering where the Coast rugby suporter has gone, then check out Blue Tongue stadium for Mariner and hopefully next season Bear games. Heartland pretty much cut off at the knees thanks to the ARU and their grandoise plans. Speaking to people out in Balthurst and up on the Sunshine coast the feeling isn't restricted to my own area.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Sep 26 2009, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Southern Kings, on the south coast, the province of the Eastern Cape.
SA franchises are setup up differently from Aussie or NZ franchises. We use our pre-existing geographical provinces to make teams. Just like it's always been in the Currie Cup. The Eastern Cape provincial team competing in the CC is actually known as the Elephants but there you go.

KwaZulu-Natal = Sharks
Western Cape = Stormers
Free State = Cheetahs
Southern Gauteng = Lions
Northern Gauteng = Bulls
Eastern Cape = Kings

RSA_by_provinces.jpg

As you can see we not only keep to the governmental borders but to the history of provincial unions as well unlike NZ do. So calling the Cheetahs the Bloemfontein Cheetahs is not accurate.

The city where the Kings is based is not as relevant as it would be in Melbourne's case as well although it is in fact based in Port Elizabeth (recently changed to the 'Nelson Mandela Metropolitan'). Where the Kings played the Lions in the new FIFA 2010 stadium.

Speaking of Mandela, I just learned he's not allowed in the US without permission from the Secretary of State as he was classed as a terrorist in the 60's. Crazy or what?

Sorry to get off topic there . Anyways it's got to go to Melbourne, a South African franchise in the Oz Conference would make zero sense. I for one wouldn't mind seeing 6 teams in the SA conference and 4 in Australia but that would unbalance the fixtures would it not?

SA franchises are setup up differently from Aussie or NZ franchises. We use our pre-existing geographical provinces to make teams.[/b]

Because obviously Queenlsand Reds, New South Wales Waratahs, Australian Capital Territory Brumbies and Western Australia Western Force aren't in our pre-existing geographical provinces..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Sep 27 2009, 01:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Would Sydney be able to support a second team? The Waratahs don't exactly attract fans in their droves.

I agree, a SA franchise in an "Australian" conference seems daft. A Victorian franchise based in Melbourne seems the best option if they can get the financing together. A question I'd have is whether the Australian playing base is large enough to support another team. Should Victoria win out, there'll be a hell of a lot of non-Australian players brought in to all their franchises in order to fill out the rosters.[/b]

Yes it can. I think Australia's problem is ignoring rugbys heartlands. Sydney's population is 4million. Sydney has nine rugby league teams, AFL wants to plonk a 2nd team there.. a second team in Sydney would generate more interest than a Melbourne team. West Sydney is a mission to get to the SFS in the Eastern Suburbs and this team can represent the the entire west and north sydney. A team for all the bored polynesians out there lost to rugby league.

Who says Melbourne would work? AFL heartland with a presence of league.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Sep 27 2009, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Sep 26 2009, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Southern Kings, on the south coast, the province of the Eastern Cape.
SA franchises are setup up differently from Aussie or NZ franchises. We use our pre-existing geographical provinces to make teams. Just like it's always been in the Currie Cup. The Eastern Cape provincial team competing in the CC is actually known as the Elephants but there you go.

KwaZulu-Natal = Sharks
Western Cape = Stormers
Free State = Cheetahs
Southern Gauteng = Lions
Northern Gauteng = Bulls
Eastern Cape = Kings

RSA_by_provinces.jpg

As you can see we not only keep to the governmental borders but to the history of provincial unions as well unlike NZ do. So calling the Cheetahs the Bloemfontein Cheetahs is not accurate.

The city where the Kings is based is not as relevant as it would be in Melbourne's case as well although it is in fact based in Port Elizabeth (recently changed to the 'Nelson Mandela Metropolitan'). Where the Kings played the Lions in the new FIFA 2010 stadium.
[/b][/quote]

Cape Town Stormers or the Durban Sharks sounds better anyway for the super rugby. Naming them by the city would still represent their provinces.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Sep 27 2009, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Sep 27 2009, 01:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, a SA franchise in an "Australian" conference seems daft. A Victorian franchise based in Melbourne seems the best option if they can get the financing together. A question I'd have is whether the Australian playing base is large enough to support another team. Should Victoria win out, there'll be a hell of a lot of non-Australian players brought in to all their franchises in order to fill out the rosters.[/b]

Yes it can. I think Australia's problem is ignoring rugbys heartlands. Sydney's population is 4million. Sydney has nine rugby league teams, AFL wants to plonk a 2nd team there.. a second team in Sydney would generate more interest than a Melbourne team. West Sydney is a mission to get to the SFS in the Eastern Suburbs and this team can represent the the entire west and north sydney. A team for all the bored polynesians out there lost to rugby league.

[/b][/quote]

And with the league team apparently losing a couple of million each season :bravo:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Sep 27 2009, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Sep 27 2009, 01:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

East Sydney, West Sydney and North Sydney are already represented by a team - they're called the NSW Waratahs...

We can't have the NSW Waratahs, and the Western Sydney Rams or whatever... you can't have the state go up against a team that only represents a group of suburbs within a city within that state... it's stupid, really really stupid... and it will further disrupt the Tahs already dwindling fanbase...

The NSWRU just need to put more effort into making rugby attractive in Western Sydney...

And why would North Sydney rugby fans give a f*** about a Western Sydney team?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woldog @ Sep 27 2009, 01:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
SA franchises are setup up differently from Aussie or NZ franchises. We use our pre-existing geographical provinces to make teams.[/b]

Because obviously Queenlsand Reds, New South Wales Waratahs, Australian Capital Territory Brumbies and Western Australia Western Force aren't in our pre-existing geographical provinces..
[/b][/quote]

My bad, got that wrong.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Sep 26 2009, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If they're going to persist in the format they've set out for the Super 15 tournament than Victoria must be awarded the next bid or it's going to be retarded to have a South African team in the Australian conference...[/b]

I completely agree, I would much rather have another Australian team in the... wait for it... AUSTRALIAN CONFERENCE. Even if it's just for national prides sake. I'm not sure how the rugby passionate crowd down in PE are gonna react to that, but they'll probably be stoked just to have a team from that region. EP used to be a very strong union, guys like Danie Gerber came from there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Sep 27 2009, 12:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Speaking of Mandela, I just learned he's not allowed in the US without permission from the Secretary of State as he was classed as a terrorist in the 60's. Crazy or what?[/b]

I'm pretty sure he got an official permanent pardon a couple of years ago and got taken off the terrorist list. I actually only found out he was ever on there because of the news of him being taken off.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Sep 27 2009, 02:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Cape Town Stormers or the Durban Sharks sounds better anyway for the super rugby. Naming them by the city would still represent their provinces.[/b]

Dude what are you on about?

You said, "Shows how ridiculous the South African teams names are. Do they represent anything?"

I've just told you who they represent. They represent what/who they've always represented, provinces.

Back in Super 12 days the Sharks were called the 'Natal Sharks'. Don't know why the name simply got cut down to the 'Sharks' because nothing has changed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (smartcooky @ Sep 27 2009, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Daft!

2009 v Japan: Attendance 69,238* this will have been boosted by the huge number of Greek descendants and ex-pats living in Melbourne[/b]
I am supportive of a Melbourne team but your argument does not make that much sense. Just because Melbourne has got very good crowds at three rugby games over a 10 year period does not mean they should have a team. It is very different getting a big crowd to watch NZ vs Australia every once and a while to getting good crowds week in, week out over the whole season.

Then of course we get onto the fact that Melbourne has hardly any rugby presence . It has taken league ten years to get average crowds of just 12,000. I expect a Melbourne rugby team to beat that but not beat it by so much. Victoria has only a current amount of about 5,000 registered players. That is not very many at all.

I only support the Melbourne franchise because all countries should have the same amount of franchises and no where else in Australia deserve one more. I don't think the franchise will work and I can't see it lasting. It should be up the ARU and the VRU to do the best job with this team as they can.

Got to be in Melbourne, that much is obvious. It's just up to the VRU and the ARU to make it work. I think a Melbourne franchise can be just as successful as the Western Force.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Sep 28 2009, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Got to be in Melbourne, that much is obvious. It's just up to the VRU and the ARU to make it work. I think a Melbourne franchise can be just as successful as the Western Force.[/b]

So it would be facing bankruptcy too within four years ;) You seem to be down a major sponsor at the moment btw.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Sep 28 2009, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Got to be in Melbourne, that much is obvious. It's just up to the VRU and the ARU to make it work. I think a Melbourne franchise can be just as successful as the Western Force.[/b]

I thought Melbourne would have been the best option originally but West Sydney to me just seems better. We need to strengthen our heartlands and Sydney can easily cater for two teams. Play at ANZ and it doesn't matter what the crowds will be like originally because teams playing there make a profit no matter what the crowd is. This new stadium, tickets will be even more expensive and being successful from the start would be unlikely. How are they going to attract fans from the successful Melbourne Storm RL team, with the likes of Greg Inglis, Billy Slater etc?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Sep 27 2009, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Sep 27 2009, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

East Sydney, West Sydney and North Sydney are already represented by a team - they're called the NSW Waratahs...

We can't have the NSW Waratahs, and the Western Sydney Rams or whatever... you can't have the state go up against a team that only represents a group of suburbs within a city within that state... it's stupid, really really stupid... and it will further disrupt the Tahs already dwindling fanbase...

The NSWRU just need to put more effort into making rugby attractive in Western Sydney...

And why would North Sydney rugby fans give a f*** about a Western Sydney team?
[/b][/quote]

According to your theory Tasmania and South Australia would be better options than a West Sydney team because we already have a NSW team.

Technically they don't represent the whole of NSW when they are based in Sydney.. most of their fans are from the Eastern Suburbs. Do you think it's easy for rugby fans in Penrith, Parramatta, Campbelltown, parts of North Sydney etc to make it to the SFS? and Southern NSW is Brumbies territory.

The one crowd at ANZ in Western Sydney got the highest Waratahs crowd all year of 32k. Your team abandoned what it represents a couple of years ago and are now just The Brumbies.. no reason why the NSW Waratahs can't do the same.

I think West Sydney Rams and Sydney Waratahs would be better for the game imo. Possibly a Fibros vs Silvertails rivalry, and the people of NSW can choose a team they want to support. Melbourne is AFL mad, the Storm have needed assistance (5-10 million) from news ltd since 1998 just to stay alive.. imo rigged too so they have the best players playing for them under a salary cap.. no surprise the two news ltd (Broncos and Storm) teams have done well every year? Heck I reckon a second Brisbane rugby team would be better than a Melbourne side given the amount of juniors we are producing.

Latest posts