Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JP Pietersen

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Draggs

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Voting has opened up on the official Springboks Facebook page!
https://www.facebook.com/springboks

Nominations in alphabetical order:
Willem Alberts (Sharks)
Keegan Daniel (Sharks)
Bismarck du Plessis (Sharks)
Jannie du Plessis (Sharks)
Eben Etzebeth (Western Province)
Bryan Habana (Western Province)
Elton Jantjies (Golden Lions)
Siya Kolisi (Western Province)
Pat Lambie (Sharks)
JP Pietersen (Sharks)

Last edited:
Too many Sharks, I don't know who to pick.
I'll probably say Keegan, as he really stood out this year. I want to say Patrick or JP, but both a while injured.
Jannie is quite underrated, and another favourite of mine.
Agh! We need more Bulls ;)

Too many Sharks, I don't know who to pick.
I'll probably say Keegan, as he really stood out this year. I want to say Patrick or JP, but both a while injured.
Jannie is quite underrated, and another favourite of mine.
Agh! We need more Bulls ;)

My vote is not just based on the Super rugby season, but also based on the England and Rugby Championship... too many sharks yes, but not a single Bulls player deserves to be nominated as no-one stood out...

Keegan Daniel had a good Super Rugby tournament but faded away in the international scene... The next Kanko IMO...

It was between Willem Alberts, Bryan Habana, and Eben Etzebeth, and I decided to pick the rookie! He was one of the best finds for the Boks and to a latter extent the Stormers giving us some grunt we thought we lost with the departure of Bakkies.

What made me pick him was he had a great bunch of games vs England, then that awful Mendoza test where everyone was crap... but he picked himself up and battled back, even after Nathan Sharpe got him into trouble...

Based on international matches: Habana

But I'm voting for Etzebeth, he's been good all around.

Yes but look what he did to Bissie in Super15!

No Marcell Coetzee on there is a surprise. The way I see it;

1 Habana
2 Etzebeth
3 Coetzee (not even there o_O)
4 J du Plessis
5 Pietersen

If this is only for SR then Habana and Du Plessis move down and out and Keegan Daniels can come in.

The winners and finalists (where applicable) in all the categories are:

SARU Rugby Player of the Year
Winner: Bryan Habana
Finalists: Keegan Daniel, Eben Etzebeth, Pat Lambie, JP Pietersen

Absa Young Player of the Year
Winner: Eben Etzebeth
Finalists: Marcell Coetzee, Johan Goosen, Elton Jantjies, Raymond Rhule.

Absa Team of the Year
Winner: The Sharks (Absa Currie Cup)
Finalists: DHL Stormers (Vodacom Super Rugby), EP Kings (Absa Currie Cup First Division), Junior Boks (IRB Junior World Championship), The Sharks (Vodacom Super Rugby).

Absa Coach of the Year
Winner: John Plumtree (The Sharks).
Finalists: Allister Coetzee (DHL Stormers and Western Province), Pote Human (GWK Griquas), Alan Solomons (EP Kings), Dawie Theron (SA Under-20).

Vodacom Super Rugby Player of the Year
Winner: Keegan Daniel (The Sharks)
Finalists: Marcell Coetzee (The Sharks), Bismarck du Plessis (The Sharks), Eben Etzebeth (DHL Stormers), JP Pietersen (The Sharks).

Absa Currie Cup Premier Division Player of the Year
Winner: Deon Fourie (DHL Western Province)
Finalists: JC Janse van Rensburg (MTN Golden Lions), Elton Jantjies (MTN Golden Lions), Louis Ludik (The Sharks), Raymond Rhule (Toyota Free State Cheetahs).

Absa Currie Cup First Division Player of the Year
Winner: Hansie Graaff (Griffons)
Finalists: JW Jonker (Ford Pumas), Rudi Mathee (Ford Pumas), Paul Perez (EP Kings), Luke Watson (EP Kings).

Vodacom Cup Player of the Year
Winner: Demetri Catrakilis (DHL Western Province)
Finalists: Marcel Brache (DHL Western Province), Jaco Kriel (MTN Golden Lions), Gouws Prinsloo (Sharks XV), Jan Serfontein (Vodacom Blue Bulls).

SARPA Players' Player of the Year: JP Pietersen (The Sharks)

Springbok Sevens Player of the Year: Cecil Afrika

SuperSport Try of the Year Winner: Bryan Habana (Springboks v All Blacks, The Rugby Championship).
Finalists: Johan Goosen (Toyota Cheetahs v Crusaders, Vodacom Super Rugby); Joe Pietersen (DHL Stormers v Highlanders, Vodacom Super Rugby); Paul Jordaan (The Sharks v Reds, Vodacom Super Rugby); Jaco Taute (MTN Golden Lions v Vodacom Blue Bulls, Absa Currie Cup).

SA Under-20 Player of the Year: Jan Serfontein (Vodacom Blue Bulls)

Coca-Cola Craven Week Player of the Tournament: Sergeal Petersen (Eastern Province)

Marriott Referee Award: Jaco Peyer

Women's Achiever of the Year: Yolanda Meiring (Blue Bulls)

SARU National Club Championship Player of the Tournament: Nico Luus (Pretoria Police)

Just thought I'd share the results with you guys...

Largely sanity has prevailed as opposed to the usual SARU WTF?heid. Pity Habana is injured. It probably puts his bid for IRB player of the year to bed ;_;

My view on the winners...

SARU Rugby Player of the year:
Given the fact this is based on Test matches only, Habana is the clear winner. When looking at the nominees (Lambie and Daniel being there) it suggests this is based on the entire season, Super Rugby included. When you consider that, I think Eben Etzebeth or Marcell Coetzee would have been a better pick rather than Habana who played 5 matches worth noticing. What is this based on though? Entire year or just Test matches?

Absa Young Player of the Year:
No argument here. Etzebeth is the revelation in world rugby in 2012. His overall performance in both Super Rugby and at Test level shows how huge he is (no pun intended). Clear cut winner in my opinion.

Absa Team of the year:
Really? The Currie Cup Sharks team? Sorry to say but there's 2 teams who deserved this more. The Super Rugby Sharks team who made it all the way to the final after travelling around the world in eighteen days or, and this would be my pick, the Junior Boks who won the JWR championship.

Absa Coach of the year:
Plumtree deserved this. Making the final in both Super Rugby and Currie Cup is an achievement to be proud of. Despite missing out on the silverware, this was a year to remember. Allister Coetzee would have been an equally deserving winner though if he was picked. Winning the SA Conference and Currie Cup.

Vodacom Super Rugby Player of the Year:
4 Sharks and 1 Stormer in this category. Keegan Daniel being the flashy loosie who steals the hearts of the Durban faithful but I would have gone with Marcell Coetzee, who's stats were McCaw-like this season and he is still just 21 years young (21 years old doesn't sound right for a Bok).

Absa Currie Cup Premier Division Player of the Year:
This one was really a toss-up between Deon Fourie and Louis Ludik. Both played out of their skin, both showed they can outplay their opponent and I think both deserved a Bok call-up. I can live with Ludik missing out on this award since it is going to the player who was amazing. Deon Fourie, out of position, captains his side to a Currie Cup victory.

Absa Currie Cup First Division Player of the Year:
Not much I can say here. I don't see enough of the 1st Div. to judge this properly. Seeing a Griffon winning though, is always nice.

Vodacom Cup Player of the Year:
Again, not enough footage made it to Holland for me to be the judge of this award. I do know Catrakilis was amazing in the Currie Cup final

SARPA Players' Player of the Year:
I think this award means more to a player than the one Habana won. Being judged as the best by your colleagues is something to be proud of. JP Pietersen deserves an award for his consistency over the years.

The rest of the awards I can agree with easily. Serfontein as the Under-20 player of the year is an easy choice. I do wonder how the hell Jaco Peyper was voted referee of the year.

Deon Fourie played so well at openside I almost think that is now considered his prefered position LOL. Well it helps us out. Will be interesting to see who of Fourie, Burger, Kolisi or Liebenberg gets religated to the bench. I just hope it isn't D Fourie being a victim of his own versatility. The season is very long though and it's good to have options.

Versatility is the most common cause of quality players ending up on the bench or leaving. We Sharks fans know all about that! Russell, Pienaar, Steyn, Lambie... We messed up a lot lately in player management. Don't make the same mistake in Cape Town man!

I feel though, no player should be playing every match anyway. It's just too much to handle for rugby players to perform 40 weeks in a row. Look at the Crusaders prop-management for example. They rotated Ben Franks, Owen Franks and Wyatt Crockett. None of them played more than 4 consecutive matches during the Super Rugby season. We should work out something similar as well in South Africa. In Durban we can try that with the versatile Allan Dell (who really surprised everyone when he played against the Cheetahs) and other youngsters like Nick Schonert, Wiehahn Herbst and Dale Chadwick (although the latter is not my favorite).

At best, a player should only be playing 65% of his teams matches. When the SA teams play the Kings, Force and Rebels you can easily give the big guns a rest (not all at once though!)

Latest posts