• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Saturday, 6 August: Springboks v New Zealand

You look at the team and you question their motivation levels in games they lose. They shouldn't lose. What's the chance they can't be arsed for this one?

You look at the team and you question their motivation levels in games they lose. They shouldn't lose. What's the chance they can't be arsed for this one?
Nelspruit is not a great venue for us. We have scraped every one of the 3 tests there. Maybe it's too close to the Kruger and Bushveld so the players dont get out of holiday mode lol. Already seen the golfing pics from Leopard Creek. Field is gonna be fast and dry, and I have a feeling NZ are gonna try run us away. They could blow out 3 tries in the first 10 minutes on that dry field. All this confidence from everywhere but I have a shaky feeling. Same feeling I had before Wales 1st test when everyone wrote them off. Then we scraped that barely.

Nelspruit is not a great venue for us. We have scraped every one of the 3 tests there. Maybe it's too close to the Kruger and Bushveld so the players dont get out of holiday mode lol. Already seen the golfing pics from Leopard Creek. Field is gonna be fast and dry, and I have a feeling NZ are gonna try run us away. They could blow out 3 tries in the first 10 minutes on that dry field. All this confidence from everywhere but I have a shaky feeling. Same feeling I had before Wales 1st test when everyone wrote them off. Then we scraped that barely.
The day you're optimistic is the day I will get nervous. Your nerves calm me.

The presenters on the NZ Aotearoa have predicted a 2-0 series win for NZ. Seem very confident. This is nice because I probably fear a backs to the Wall NZ more.

I think NZ has a good chance to take the first game, not sure about this Nelspruit game from Springbok's perspective something feels off. Some players will need to start putting in some good shifts .

I think Faf had done nothing wrong especially to warrant him being dropped in the wales series.

Because Hendrikse is a shark, the bias allowed me to overlook that move by the coaches, also its in our interest to blood the younger players. So, all for giving Hendrikse opportunities, but people must not get the perception that it's Faf that is not performing in the current team.

The players I feel need to step it up is:
Pollard, De Allende, Mapimpi, Wiese, Koch, Mbonambi, Ox, Kolisi.

Then there are the players who I think are probably, doing their job as asked and with Professionalism. Making little to almost no mistakes but you won't necessarily say that they are setting the world alight.

They include Faf, AM, PSdT, Malherbe, Kitshoff, Lood, Eben. If these guys raise their level then SA might be very dangerous on Saturday.

I don't think Eben has a kak game in him. Marx will be up for his 50th. The guy has been arguably the best replacement forward in the world in the last 2 years. He is a machine, and even Scott Gibbs said he feels he is unplayable at times. The backs, yho let's hope they cope. If Barret decides F this I'm getting my 2017 form back it could be a rough day for us.

I have literally no idea what to make of this game, and a lot of that has to do with us being booted from SR. This is an unknown a test now as it would be if we played Ireland or France.

My brain also can't really handle NZ not being favorites. Never known that in my lifetime watching rugby.

Last edited:
The presenters on the NZ Aotearoa have predicted a 2-0 series win for NZ. Seem very confident. This is nice because I probably fear a backs to the Wall NZ more.

I think NZ has a good chance to take the first game, not sure about this Nelspruit game from Springbok's perspective something feels off. Some players will need to start putting in some good shifts .

I think Faf had done nothing wrong especially to warrant him being dropped in the wales series.

Because Hendrikse is a shark, the bias allowed me to overlook that move by the coaches, also its in our interest to blood the younger players. So, all for giving Hendrikse opportunities, but people must not get the perception that it's Faf that is not performing in the current team.

Then there are the players who I think are probably, doing their job as asked and with Professionalism. Making little to almost no mistakes but you won't necessarily say that they are setting the world alight.

They include Faf, AM, PSdT, Malherbe, Kitshoff, Lood, Eben. If these guys raise their level then SA might be very dangerous on Saturday.

Dude was motm v Wales in the first test

I'm surprised that they've given a rarely used venue for SA games a test against NZ. I get why Loftus (ABs have a great record) and Cape Town (big NZ support) have been overlooked but after Joburg I would have said PE, Bloemfontein or Durban would have offered a greater home ground advantage for the Springboks.

Quite like the ad MTN has done making use of their Springbok sponsorship:

which presenters?

Those presenters are the only two people in New Zealand who think that way. So it doesn't indicate New Zealand's backs aren't against the wall. And the main reason they predicted that result is actually because they thought there would be a strong performance because the all blacks backs are against the wall. It was a surprise to hear that prediction though, given these guys actually watch rugby throughout the world so don't have the same biases some all blacks fans have from not realising other teams can be good too because they simply never watch other teams, and they have spent years watching and playing a lot of rugby so they shouldnt have the heuristic that many fans have that rugby is our main sport and we've won in the past therefore our players must have been the best in the past and must still be the best. Usually these presenters are the most realistic media that exists in New Zealand. There was a bit of "we have to expect we will win, because it's the expectation of winning that makes us win" from James parsons and "don't get me wrong, we won't be favourites at the betting agencies" from bryn hall. So probably they are acknowledging their predictions are driven more by optimism than realism.

I wouldn't write us off, we've always got some moments in us, but apart from those moments it's hard to see us competing.

which presenters?
Bryn hall and James parsons. Seemed more like optimism to me. Or they'd made a decision to show their confidence in the all blacks as a means of support. Or maybe they're just in denial. Some of what they said made sense though (or at least aligned with my own thinking, which doesn't necessarily mean it makes sense). For instance it's a different kind of challenge to Ireland - our defence won't need to be as good for example. That's a good point, but there are also many other challenges that ireland didn't bring as much - the scrum, the aerial battle.

Last edited:
Po
Those presenters are the only two people in New Zealand who think that way. So it doesn't indicate New Zealand's backs aren't against the wall. And the main reason they predicted that result is actually because they thought there would be a strong performance because the all blacks backs are against the wall. It was a surprise to hear that prediction though, given these guys actually watch rugby throughout the world so don't have the same biases some all blacks fans have from not realising other teams can be good too because they simply never watch other teams, and they have spent years watching and playing a lot of rugby so they shouldnt have the heuristic that many fans have that rugby is our main sport and we've won in the past therefore our players must have been the best in the past and must still be the best. Usually these presenters are the most realistic media that exists in New Zealand. There was a bit of "we have to expect we will win, because it's the expectation of winning that makes us win" from James parsons and "don't get me wrong, we won't be favourites at the betting agencies" from bryn hall. So probably they are acknowledging their predictions are driven more by optimism than realism.

I wouldn't write us off, we've always got some moments in us, but apart from those moments it's hard to see us competing.
Point taken

James Parson and Bryn Hall
they are very much in the minority and literally get payed to say things that will make people watch their show

SA has never been as easy place to win and a clean sweep would be a huge result even with a team operating at a high level....even more so with a team thats struggling for answers

another forum im on that is almost exclusively kiwis if full of people that think 1-1 would be a solid result but dont have high expectations

they are very much in the minority and literally get payed to say things that will make people watch their show

SA has never been as easy place to win and a clean sweep would be a huge result even with a team operating at a high level....even more so with a team thats struggling for answers

another forum im on that is almost exclusively kiwis if full of people that think 1-1 would be a solid result but dont have high expectations
I hope that South Africa wins 2-0 and in a convincingly fashion, so that a potential HC regime change within the All Blacks environment to be taken into consideration seriously. A series draw and worst, an All Blacks 2-0 win will only further mask New Zealand core problems and generate false hopes of revival.

if ABs win and fight hard then Foster still owns the changingSheds. if they lose, especially playing crap then Fosters lost the sheds and needs to go.
Good luck Foster. all the best

So glad to see taukeiaho start and Taylor finally dropped after three consecutively poor games.

Good to see Clarke back too.

The scrum is a worry, particularly with lomax who has not been good in the scrum this year. They should definitely have gone for Newell. Hoping de groot does well.

It's not a good midfield combo. Our best available 12 and our best available 13 perhaps, but not a good combo. Honestly an umaga jensen should be in the team for balance (or two just because it would be fun to have twins in the midfield).

Not happy to see frizell, but it's not about his playing ability.

Glad jordan isn't at fullback, especially after the disaster last year. If the opposition doesn't play the high kick too often then you can play jordan at fullback otherwise no thanks. Not good defensively Under the high ball. Good on attack under the high ball because just challenging for the ball is enough in that scenario and it doesn't matter if you knock it going for the ball when you're in the oppositions territory and they're peddling backwards so have no one else behind the ball so can't launch much of a counter. Better to be on the wing to contest attacking high balls.

Would have preferred Fakatava or weber or actually several other halfbacks to Christie against the boks. He has been so bad when there's pressure at the breakdown and the boks will no doubt bring that.

It's not the greatest team but even with the best players being picked it still wouldn't come close to matching the boks team. If we win it will be due to individual brilliance (from a select few players whose all round ability isn't that great) or superior coaching or just because we are desperate.

Last edited:

Latest posts