Saturday, 6 August: Springboks v New Zealand

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Saturday, 6 August: Springboks v New Zealand – Mbombela Stadium, Nelspruit

NZ are going to be chomping at the bit to get a win I'd imagine. That said for me at least the series vs Wales even if won 2-1 also rankles.

Both these sides are used to being top dog. What's frustrating from an SA POV if one is looking at the rankings are that we got Wales and now NZ at undervalued points and at home which inflates our own points. We can only lose points in effect. Even if we beat NZ by 15+ in both games (89.97) we won't go above Ireland (90.03). And what are the chances we manage to beat NZ twice by 15+. My expectation is one narrow win and one narrow loss. But the rankings I suppose is nothing more than a minute sideshow and should in any case be seen in the very long term view rather than as a snapshot.

There was a ton of rust vs Wales which I suppose is to be expected. More so from the foreign based players actually. Hopefully we can get pick it up a tad vs NZ- which we tend to do TBH.

we're in real trouble unless we have a change of coach and about a third of a squad....lots of them starters

we've had little to no gameplan for the last couple of seasons...now we've got a case of the yips and low on confidence

we're in real trouble unless we have a change of coach and about a third of a squad....lots of them starters

we've had little to no gameplan for the last couple of seasons...now we've got a case of the yips and low on confidence
Don't get me wrong but I'm glad Kiwi's are thinking they are in trouble. I think most South Africans also have no clue of what to expect going into these two matches.

I do think however we know what our best side is (which is not something I am sure NZ knows ATM). That side just needs to step up. Kolisi had a better game second time round and Pollard as well but still a lot of room for improvement. PSdT, Faf and Kolbe all with a lot of work to do. Kolbe will probably not be available. Sounds like Vermeulen might be though. Am also not on top form but difficult to say too much as he played the majority of his second match out on the wing.

I am happy enough to continue with Hendrickse and Willemse with an eye to developing depth with younger players at 9 and 15 but its been a tad hit and miss though that is to be expected I suppose.

My hope is for a step up in terms of constructive play and then also dropping the 6-2 split. Surely we don't really need that extra forward? Rather rotate players across games rather than in-game to give us that versatility for backline players on the bench.

I honestly think we need to drop some players, won't name names right now but there are certain "worlds best" players that just don't seem to play well with others…nzr really don't seem to get that "the best" outright player in a position….isn't necessarily always the best choice when you looks at the others your selecting…I would have savea on the bench for example

This will be one of the most interesting tests against the old foe in a while. Both teams not at their best but NZ clearly far worse off (especially psychologically). A big SA win could mentally break them.

As a SAffer part of me will be supporting the team I'm "supposed to" for the first time ever, not because I like them all of a sudden (ew) but because it's the only way Foster will be fired. That may seem negative but it's reality. Any AB fan who actually wants to see Foster coach this team is being strung along by the false "siege mentality" narrative of mainstream NZ media.

Should be a good game regardless. Expecting a reaction from the ABs but it might not be enough.

This will be one of the most interesting tests against the old foe in a while. Both teams not at their best but NZ clearly far worse off (especially psychologically). A big SA win could mentally break them.

As a SAffer part of me will be supporting the team I'm "supposed to" for the first time ever, not because I like them all of a sudden (ew) but because it's the only way Foster will be fired. That may seem negative but it's reality. Any AB fan who actually wants to see Foster coach this team is being strung along by the false "siege mentality" narrative of mainstream NZ media.

Should be a good game regardless. Expecting a reaction from the ABs but it might not be enough.
i think quite a few of the current squad are broken already, just look out of ideas

Springboks by 12 points. I don't see the ABs winning either test. They look lost under Foster.

I'm not sure about that. The Boks didn't look particularly convincing against Wales. Even under Foster, I'd argue that NZ are a fair bit better than the Welsh. Hard to call, but I could quite easily see a 1-1.

Recent history tells us both games will be within one score and likely to come down to the last 10 minutes. I'd give the edge to the Boks in this scenario with the ABs composure severely lacking versus Ireland.

i said i enjoyed last years loss to the Boks more than the win, just how we played....i will be happy with that again, to see something we might be able to build upon...and there is no shame in losing to SA at home

should this be moved to the Rugby Championship Forum?

anyway, squad announced, no change in coach, captain or 98% of the squad...frizell in for PGS...Frizell the thug that missed a criminal record by the skin of his teeth for PGS who did as much as he could in the limited time he was given...on the upside at least we've made PGS ineligible for Fiji 👍

1658456164338-png.14285

edit: sums it pretty well i think

Last edited:
should this be moved to the Rugby Championship Forum?

anyway, squad announced, no change in coach, captain or 98% of the squad...frizell in for PGS...Frizell the thug that missed a criminal record by the skin of his teeth for PGS who did as much as he could in the limited time he was given...on the upside at least we've made PGS ineligible for Fiji 👍

1658456164338-png.14285

edit: sums it pretty well i think

What happened to the No dickheads policy of the ABs?

What happened to the No dickheads policy of the ABs?
went the way of our perfect record against Ireland, cant even argue hes good enough to looks past being a massive thug....constantly failed at international level...and taking a spot on tour that would be better used by someone like Grace or MMT or Blackadder

Last edited:
Think Jordan has to start at 15 now, can see Goodhue coming in to harden the midfield, I think right now the AB's weakness is their backrow, only to experience. Think the best they could go for right now would be 6. Savea 7. Papalii 8. Ioane. I dont think Cane is good enough.

Saying this I dont think the AB's should be written off, the played a seriously good Ireland team beat them once and matched them in the 2 others, theres no shame in losing to them.

They have been one of the few teams that beats SA in recent years so I can see it going either way..

They have been one of the few teams that beats SA in recent years so I can see it going either way..
We havent played Ireland since 2017, when we were at our lowest point in our history. So yeah we haven't played against Ireland in 5 years, yet we have played Wales 8 times in the last 5 years.

Latest posts