• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SBW back to NZ?

ABs2011

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Seems to depend on who you listed to at this stage.

The news coming out of NZ is that he is about ot sign a 3 year deal with the NZRU & Chiefs this week:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...nny-Bill-Williams-speculation-gets-downplayed

However just heard a journo from OZ saying from where he sits SBW has yet to make a decision.

As hated as he is (Khoder Nasser) you must admit he is pretty awesome at getting max media time for SBW.

I hope he signs for the 3 year deal this week. SBW "could" go down as a Rugby legend but he needs to spend the 3 years here to prove him self. Another couple Super Rugby Championships with the Chiefs, a starting spot with the ABs, position himself as arguably the best 12 in the world, and of course back to back World Cups with the ABs then it would be hard to argue that he is all hype!

Anyone hearing anything?

he better come back. I know I'm repeating myself, but it's just simply perfectly ridiculous he's not an AB as we speak. Was fantastic to watch during that last RWC.

he better come back. I know I'm repeating myself, but it's just simply perfectly ridiculous he's not an AB as we speak. Was fantastic to watch during that last RWC.
Would put the Nonu dramma to bed one would expect as well!

It would put it to rest but it just seems to cheapen the black jersey. I realize they all play for money but he just seems so mercenary. I realize he is a very dynamic player and I love to see him. Hopefully he can commit to something and stick to it long term.

It would put it to rest but it just seems to cheapen the black jersey. I realize they all play for money but he just seems so mercenary. I realize he is a very dynamic player and I love to see him. Hopefully he can commit to something and stick to it long term.

Meh, I've always held the belief that you cheapen the jersey by not playing your best team. If SBW is the best option for the All Blacks then he should play.

Yeah I used to hold that view but at the end of the day we don't know the guy, we don't know what he is thinking, or why he makes the decisions he does, so I'm not sure it is fair to call him a mercenary. I've decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and let his on field performances do the talking (provided he doesn't break any more contracts). If you do that then what you can say about him is that he is arguably one of the best league players in the game right now, and (when he left) was arguably one of the best in his positions in rugby as well. You can say what you like about his boxing but at the very least he has done pretty well - I personally couldn't care less though.

As per Feicarsinn's comment, there is no doubt in my mind that if SBW returned to Rugby as good as when he left he would easily be the 1st choice 12 in NZ - so no cheapening the jersey at all IMHO.

The one thing that complicates things is his off field value to who ever he represents whether it's boximg promoters, the Roosters, the NRL, the Chiefs or the NZRU. I don't think SBW can be blamed for the way these organisations utilise him, yet he quite often is.

Last edited:
he's gonna be back but the question is when? yes 2015 is WC year and 2016 is Olympics but 2014/next year is just another year. I guess it's just another year in the NRL as well, where this year is league world cup. would have thought another stop in Japan would be attractive after the RLWC

only real reason for him to come back is to secure his position in NZ rugby and make sure he is established for World cup selection, or maybe he just misses the chiefs environment which is obviously pretty fizzing these days and well on its way to establishing a legacy.

a three year deal would be massive for NZ/chiefs hes just turned 28 so should still be in/around his prime and will still be around the same age or slightly younger than Nonu is now come the Olympics.

I find it very hard to imagine Nonu still being relevant come the world cup when he will be 33.5 years old when he's hanging by the skin of his teeth now and no NZ super franchises want him.

Because of that SBW becomes very important.

Dave Renee is a big part of it, obviously a supporter of SBW. I kinda get the feeling Renee could be looking for a move I mean he could pick his own salary up north after the success hes had with the chiefs. But then there is the All Black Coaching role. You would have to say Renee is a front runner for that after the 2015 WC where surely win or lose Hansen will move aside. And surely Renee, Foster and Blackadder would be the main candidates.

What I am hearing is that Khoder Nasser was in NZ late last week talking to the NZRU, and 2014 is a done deal!

What I am hearing is that Khoder Nasser was in NZ late last week talking to the NZRU, and 2014 is a done deal!

Reliable source? Never a done deal until the contract is signed I reckon so are you saying it has been signed and they are keeping a lid on it until after the NRL season? Otherwise why not make a PR now? Whenever it is SBW and contract negotiations I am skeptical....Good to hear though as he will be an integral part of AB's RWC 2015 so fingers crossed.

If correct, then uou have to admit a 2015 All Black backline of - A. Smith, A Cruden, J Savea, SBW, C Smith, B. Smith, I Dagg would be pretty mean!

And of course you could throw all sorts of other players into the mix, but on form right now (+SBW) you'd imagine that is how it would stand...

Last edited:
You would have to say Renee is a front runner for that after the 2015 WC where surely win or lose Hansen will move aside. And surely Renee, Foster and Blackadder would be the main candidates.

Agreed!! I'm a massive Rennie fan!! No doubt he is the best coach we have in NZ outside of the ABs so imagine he has to be next in line!

As a manawatu boy I watched him turn Manawatu around for the most part without any real household names, then he went to the Chiefs, turned them around, won first year up, and then even more impressively backed it up the following year with arguably a lesser squad and certainly more injury issues. Massive mistake not keeping him in Hurricanes territory!

I hope he stays in NZ. He could easily do the 3 peat with the Chiefs and no reason why they couldn't do 1 better than any other team in history and take 4 in a row. After that, as you say, Hansen might call it a day, and then you'd hope common sense would prevail and Rennie is the next AB coach!

Agreed!! I'm a massive Rennie fan!! No doubt he is the best coach we have in NZ outside of the ABs so imagine he has to be next in line!

As a manawatu boy I watched him turn Manawatu around for the most part without any real household names, then he went to the Chiefs, turned them around, won first year up, and then even more impressively backed it up the following year with arguably a lesser squad and certainly more injury issues. Massive mistake not keeping him in Hurricanes territory!

I hope he stays in NZ. He could easily do the 3 peat with the Chiefs and no reason why they couldn't do 1 better than any other team in history and take 4 in a row. After that, as you say, Hansen might call it a day, and then you'd hope common sense would prevail and Rennie is the next AB coach!

How about what he did with the Under-20's... unbeaten during the whole time he coached them?

Reliable source? Never a done deal until the contract is signed I reckon so are you saying it has been signed and they are keeping a lid on it until after the NRL season? Otherwise why not make a PR now?

Two words..... Benji Marshall.

As hated as he is (Khoder Nasser) you must admit he is pretty awesome at getting max media time for SBW.

The only people who seem to "hate" him are the mungo ball faithful and the stuck up aussie union crowd.

The NZRU seem to think he's a pretty straight forward chap

The only people who seem to "hate" him are the mungo ball faithful and the stuck up aussie union crowd.

The NZRU seem to think he's a pretty straight forward chap

I agree with that. The mungoballers don't like him because he encouraged SBW to break the rip-off Bulldogs contract that his previous manager (Gavin Orr) stitched him up with.

The media (esp NZ & Aussie) tend to slag Khoder off a bit, but Steve Tew reckons he is one of the most professional player agents he's worked with. Nasser does what is expected of him; the best he can get for his player, balanced against what the player wants.

Latest posts