• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SBW signs with New Zealand and the Blues for 3 years

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Pity he's left the Chiefs, but it makes more sense for him to go to the Blues with Ngatai, Tamanivalu and Anton Lienert-Brown at the Chiefs.

Biggest signing for the Blues since Nick Evans. They'll have a pretty handy backline next year: Pulu, West, Ioane, Williams, Ranger, Moala, Nanai/Visinia. Imagine if they had signed someone like McKenzie too.

Last edited:
So much for all the haters who said he was all about the money.

He has turned down seven-figure sums to to play rugby in France and RL in Aussie because he wants to keep playing for the All Blacks. I get the feeling he has gone against Nasser's wishes on this one.

Shame to see him leave the Chiefs, but good for NZ rugby, you imagine he has an eye on the Lions tours and the next world cup.

Good for NZ rugby.

Pity he's left the Chiefs, but it makes more sense for him to go to the Blues with Ngatai, Tamanivalu and Anton Lienert-Brown at the Chiefs.

Biggest signing for the Blues since Nick Evans. They'll have a pretty handy backline next year: Pulu, West, Ioane, Williams, Ranger, Moala, Nanai/Visinia. Imagine if they had signed someone like McKenzie too.

Well, you could argue Piri Weepu and Ma'a Nonu were huge signings. Hope this one works out better ;).

Very interesting move. I believe this ties him to the next RWC, and includes a Lions tour, so I can certainly see the appeal for SBW.

A three year deal is a good size commitment (not sure I'd even want him signed longer than that considering he's already 30). Will be fascinating what sort of influence he will have at the Blues. One thing I will say is despite how good he was for the Chiefs in their winning season (which I think was largely down to just how good Cruden was at getting him hitting holes) - he arguably looked best playing at the Crusaders and putting Robbie Fruean into holes with his offload game. I think he could do wonders with guys like Ranger, Moala and R.Ioane hitting holes.

I still think the Blues are a handful of reliable and intelligent players away from really competing next year. I think they need to focus on signing a quality lock, and possibly a more reliable fullback.

I still think the Blues are a handful of reliable and intelligent players away from really competing next year. I think they need to focus on signing a quality lock, and possibly a more reliable fullback.

And a 10. Personally don't rate West and know the Blues have been after Barrett for a while.

And a 10. Personally don't rate West and know the Blues have been after Barrett for a while.

I agree. I think the Blues are lacking a confident, reliable pivot. Imagine that young backline with Cruden running the show.
I thought West wasn't great again v Crusaders last week. He certainly has tackling frailties. I liked him on the way up through the ITM Cup and thought he was worth his spot in super rugby. However he's another one who has arrived at the Blues and, to my mind, not continued with his development.
I would think there are a few 1st 5's with an eye on a move to the Blues. Umunga will need to find the next Lima Sopoanga.

A Williams/Ranger centre pairing is a pretty frightening partnership. Wouldn't have thought anyone will be able to match them muscle wise but it would result in a lack of distribution.

Well, you could argue Piri Weepu and Ma'a Nonu were huge signings. Hope this one works out better ;).

Very interesting move. I believe this ties him to the next RWC, and includes a Lions tour, so I can certainly see the appeal for SBW.

A three year deal is a good size commitment (not sure I'd even want him signed longer than that considering he's already 30). Will be fascinating what sort of influence he will have at the Blues. One thing I will say is despite how good he was for the Chiefs in their winning season (which I think was largely down to just how good Cruden was at getting him hitting holes) - he arguably looked best playing at the Crusaders and putting Robbie Fruean into holes with his offload game. I think he could do wonders with guys like Ranger, Moala and R.Ioane hitting holes.

Supposedly they have a few more signings to announce, including Jimmy Tupou.

The Blues are just a decent 10 away from being competitive.

Great young backline, a forward pack that can muscle up when needed.

Just need a 10 to take charge of the backs.

Fingers crossed we can lure Barrett!

Is Barrett really the answer to your 10 crisis? He's never struck me as a game managing, take charge 10 which is what the Blues need. Realistically he's more of a full back tha a fly half.

Is Barrett really the answer to your 10 crisis? He's never struck me as a game managing, take charge 10 which is what the Blues need. Realistically he's more of a full back tha a fly half.

Disagree. He's great for the Hurricanes.

I think the Blues would easily settle for him at this stage, he is certainly better than any options they have had over the last few years.

He actually is pretty good at super level at 10, just he few forays at test level at 10 haven't been the best.

So is Sonny at the Blues now? Will he be playing against the canes this weekend?

He's signed for the Blues and will be available for the All Blacks come RC time, sorry SA, Aus and Argentina.

Latest posts