• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scam warning. www.yourube.com.

dullonien

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Right, I've posted this on a couple of other forums, thought it's worth posting here aswell, just incase.

This is just a quick warning to hopefully stop anyone getting suckered into this.

Just now, I went to browse youtube, but accidentally, without realising, started typing www .your.... into my IE9 adress bar, sinse IE9 automatically fills in known websites I saw what I thought was www .youtube.com automatically entered and pressed enter. Of course I didn't enter youtube, instead I entered a scam website: www .yourube.com which pops up a message saying 'today is our 6th birthday', pressing ok on this leads you to a page with the message:

Quote:

<table border="0" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="6" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td style="border: 1px inset currentColor;" class="alt2">Dear Visitor,
Today is our 6th Birthday and you've been selected to take part in the celebration! For your chance to win choose one of the amazing gifts on the right! Prizes are available today only: March 29, 2011

</td></tr></tbody></table>
and asks you to select a prize (macbook air, iphone 4 or iPad 2). Once you've selected a 'prize' it asks for your mobile number to let you know if you win, but of course really signs you up to funmobile (or something similar) which sends you text after text and charges you £1.50 per text.

Now, I'm cautious enough not to have given them any information, and quickly realised that this had nothing to do with youtube. But I was fooled at first, simply because I hadn't realised I'd typed the wrong letter, r instead of t!

Just a quick warning, incase anyone does something similar, afterall it's an easy mistake to make. A little annoyed that Microsoft are auto-completing such a site, not sure if other browsers will aswell.

Edit. Had to add spaces between the www and the rest of the website adresses to stop them automatically changing into links, which I didn't want.

Further edit. www .youtbue.com also leads to the same scam. Sure there's plenty more!!

Last edited:

Latest posts