• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scarlets set to part with Davies

C

Cymro

Llanelli Scarlets are expected to announce the end of Phil Davies' reign as director of rugby on Wednesday.

Just six months ago the 44-year-old was a contender for the Wales national job after Gareth Jenkins was sacked.

Davies had already succeeded Jenkins at Stradey Park, but Jenkins is thought to be a leading contender to reprise his role should Davies leave the Scarlets.

Scarlets chief executive Stuart Gallacher is expected to make an announcement later on Wednesday.

Former Lions, Wales and Scarlets back-row Scott Quinnell is - like Davies and Jenkins - a Llanelli man through-and-through and could also be in the frame to take over.

Quinnell cut his coaching teeth at the Scarlets, overseeing the region's youngsters and Llanelli's semi-professional Premiership side.

But he left suddenly under a cloud claiming he had been "undermined" by Stradey Park officials and it remains to be seen whether that relationship has been fixed.

o.gif

There have been rumours of unrest behind the scenes at Stradey Park this season, compounded by the region's debts and the delays in moving to a new stadium at Pemberton.

But back in January, Gallacher denied that there was any problem with player dissatisfaction.

"There are no major issues between the players and coaches, we will move forward," Gallacher said then in a statement.

"I'm aware of the innuendo and rumours regarding [director of rugby] Phil Davies' relationship with his players - when results are poor it's easy to point the finger at the coaching staff."

Just last week Davies travelled with Scarlets chief executive Stuart Gallacher to New Zealand and Australia on a recruitment mission.

New Zealand tight-head prop Greg Somerville, the second most capped prop in All Blacks history, is expected to join the Scarlets from Super 14 powerhouses the Crusaders.

But it seems that it will not be Davies who will be picking the team-sheet next season.

Davies, who enjoyed a prestigious playing career with Llanelli and Wales, joined the Scarlets in May 2006, having resigned as director of rugby at Leeds Tykes after their relegation from the Premiership.

The Scarlets reached the semi-finals of the Heineken Cup in Davies' first year in charge, but failed to win a single game in this season's pool stage.

The west Wales region also failed to emerge from the EDF Cup pool stages and have won seven of their 16 Magners League games to date.

[/b]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_unio...ets/7374978.stm

Interesting to read that Greg Somerville is about to sign!

This is a load of ****, we should have given him another season at the very least! We should be getting rid of these useless journeymen foreigners who have served little good all season!

This is a load of ****, we should have given him another season at the very least! We should be getting rid of these useless journeymen foreigners who have served little good all season! [/b]

To be honest I think Phil Davies is a brillaint coach and one for the future for Wales. I think it falls down to the modern way of rugby now. If you don't get instant success then your out. I look back at what he did with Leeds, he truned things round and put a fight up with a side that was never really gonna do anything special in the league. It's a very sad day and I wonder if Grav would have stopped this blunder if he was still here. Kid me not Davies will get a job elswehere easily. I however would like to see Phil Davies coming to the Blues and help Dai Young sort the side out but it won't happen.

Llanelli have to many journeymen in their squad. Bruce Douglas, Deacon Manu, Ben Broster (although he is a good prop aint played well for Llanelli), James Hayer (who has already gone), Alix Popham (conterversial but I feel he is going backwards rather than forwards!), Adam Eustace, Vernon Cooper (great servat, but lacking the performances), Matthew Watkins, Nathan Brew, Dafydd James and Gavin Cattle. These are the players I would say ta ta to at Llanelli.Very few of them are worth keeping and I reckon that if Scott Quinnell does become headcoach I reckon that some of these players will be gone. Gareth Jenkins is also linked to the job but will the Stradey faithful want him back?

Latest posts