• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scarlets unveil new stadium name

C

Cymro

_44672984_stadium203.jpg

The Llanelli Scarlets' new £23million stadium is to be named Parc y Scarlets.

And the stadium's approach will be called the "Ray Gravell legends walkway" with bricks naming every Llanelli player capped by Wales.

"We want to give this important stadium to our community," said Scarlets managing director Gareth Davies.

"Parc y Scarlets is a name that will take the history of Stradey Park and Llanelli rugby with us into a whole new era."

He added: "Our identity as Scarlets is so crucial to our success.

"It celebrates our independence and our passion as a rugby region and we hope will continue to project the Scarlets name and its home in Llanelli on the world stage."

A statue of Llanelli legend Gravell will also be erected outside the south stand and other legends will be honoured in key parts of the ground.

Mari Gravell, wife of the late Ray Gravell said he would have been "delighted" with the stadium's new name.

"I know that Ray would have wholeheartedly agreed with the Welsh name and quite obviously a stadium that is Scarlet through and through.

"He was such a proud Scarlet and the club was so close to his heart, I know he would have been delighted with this decision.

"The girls and I are very proud that a statue is going to be placed at the new stadium in honour of Ray. He would have been thrilled and overwhelmed."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_unio...ets/7410473.stm

Oh the ambitious name :wacko:

I'm glad that Grav is being honoured in such a way. When the original name was announced I thought the scarlets missed the chance to name the stadium after Grav but these tributes are spot on. True legends are few and far between lets honour them.

Parc Y Scarlets...oh dear. That's actually embarrassing to say as an English-only speaker - Puh-ark-eee-Scar-lets. <_< At least Gravell is getting the tribute he deserves.

Latest posts