• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scarlets Vs Leinster

F

feicarsinn

<div align='center'>
scarletscx5.png
leinsterit5.png
</div>

Scarlets welcome the defending European champions on matchday one of the new season and will be looking to improve on a rather disappointing 08/09 season. They give debuts to Richie Pugh, Rhys Thomas and Scottish wing Sean Lamont while Rhys Priestland deputises at 10 in the absence of Lion, Stephen Jones.

From a Leinster point of view it will interesting to see how new signings Mike Ross and Shaun Berne go, while alot of attention will be give to Johnny Sexton, Sean O'Brien and Paul O'Donohoe in the wake of last season's departures.

Leinster enjoyed two comprehensive victories over <strike>Llanelli</strike> Scarlets last year and will be looking for a repeat of that this year.

Scarlets: Daniel Evans; Sean Lamont, Rob Higgitt, Jonathan Davies, Mark Jones (capt); Rhys Priestland, Martin Roberts; Iestyn Thomas, Ken Owens, Rhys Thomas, Lou Reed, Dominic Day, Simon Easterby, Richie Pugh, David Lyons.
Replacements: Phil John, Emyr Phillips, Deacon Manu, Vernon Cooper, Dafydd Jones, Lee Williams, Dan Newton.

Leinster from: Leo Cullen, John Fogarty, Cian Healy, Bernard Jackman, Shane Jennings, Stephen Keogh, Ronan McCormack, Kevin McLaughlin, Sean O'Brien, Malcolm O'Kelly, Mike Ross, Devin Toner, Stan Wright, Shaun Berne, Girvan Dempsey, Shane Horgan, Chris Keane, Simon Keogh, Brendan Macken, Fergus McFadden, Niall Morris, Isa Nacewa, Paul O'Donohoe, Jonathan Sexton.

I was almost expecting the Scarlets to fling Stephen and Matt Reece into the thick of things now, alongside Regan King, as those tend to be the players that decide if the Scarlets win or lose. They'd want to strike early and get a win over Leinster whilst they're without their Lions.

Hes recovering for surgery he got after the summer tour(probably should have had it before imo but at least this give us a chance to see what POD is capable of.)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Sep 2 2009, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
but at least this give us a chance to see what POD is capable of.)[/b]
Saw him against LI for the 40 or so minutes he was allowed. Thought he did alright but the pack werent exactly bombing forward so its difficult to tell.

He certainly looks to be a better option over Keane (why is he still there?), and Keogh (He's a winger not a SH).

SCARLETS: 15: Daniel Evans, 14: Sean Lamont, 13: Rob Higgitt, 12: Jonathan Davies, 11: Mark Jones CAPTAIN, 10: Rhys Priestland, 9: Martin Roberts; 1: Iestyn Thomas, 2: Ken Owens, 3: Rhys Thomas, 4: Lou Reed, 5: Dominic Day, 6: Simon Easterby, 7: Richie Pugh, 8: David Lyons

REPLACEMENTS: 16: Phil John, 17: Emyr Phillips, 18: Deacon Manu, 19: Vernon Cooper, 20: Dafydd Jones, 21: Lee Williams, 22: Dan Newton

LEINSTER:

15: Girvan Dempsey
14: Shane Horgan
13: Fergus McFadden
12: Shaun Berne
11: Isa Nacewa
10: Jonathan Sexton
9: Chris Keane

1: Cian Healy
2: John Fogarty
3: Stan Wright
4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
5: Malcolm O'Kelly
6: Kevin McLaughlin
7: Shane Jennings VICE CAPTAIN
8: Stephen Keogh

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Bernard Jackman / Jason Harris-Wright
17: Mike Ross
18: Devin Toner
19: Sean O'Brien
20: Paul O'Donohoe
21: Simon Keogh
22: Niall Morris

Don't know what's going on with that tean. Fairly mediocre back-row that could have done with Sean O'Brien, the ever rubbish Chris Keane (maybe a tad harsh) ahead of Paul O'Donoghue and surely they signed Mike Ross for a reason. They may have some chance of domination in the Scrum with a fairly heavy second row if they'd started Mike Ross....

The battle in the backline should be good though. The 2 look fairly strong...consdiering Lions absences and such.

It seems as though Sean O'Brien and Devin Toner are paying for their below par performances last week against London Irish. McLoughlin was impressive off the bench last time out and deserves his chance although I'd prefer to see him at 8.

Surprised Chris Keane is scrumhalf although nobody else put their hand up last week.

Good to see Niall Morris rewarded for his strong preseason with a spot on the bench.

Jackman (possibly), Ross, Toner and O'Brien is some impact off the bench.

I would have liked to have seen Brendan Macken as a replacement but I'm guessing Cheika wants to bring him through slowly and preferably in a home game. It wouldn't shock me to see him in the 22 against the Dragons next week. Similarly I wouldn't be at all surprised if Niall Morris starts that game.

Despite being a winger myself, I don't like seeing the © being that far back. I expect it to be at the half backs at least. It just loosk wrogn to have a winger captain a game.

Anyway, I'll be slightly more optomistic and say that the Scarlets should be able to hold out before collapsing towards the end. Or they'll leak an early try and it'll be one-way traffic all game.

When Scarlets played in Musgrave park at the end of last year, although Jones was the captain, the number 4 on the day whose name I can't remember did all the on pitch captaining so to speak, he seemed to be the only one allowed talk as well.

Lamont showed good pace in taking that try, Leinster won't be too pleased with their defence, think it was Horgan who could have done better.

stupid penalty given away from Easterby and the backchat makes the kick even easier.

7-3

Demspey over for Leinster, good work from the forwards and nice pass from Berne to put Girve over.

good work from McLaughin in getting the penalty as Scarlets are done for not releasing and a nice kick from Sexton.

13-7 Leinster

Thomas lucky not to see red there, first with the boot and then the head on Horgan, can count himself very fortunate. Utter scumbag.

Latest posts