• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Schalk Burger's sister abducted, assaulted, and raped

J

Jer1cho

This is extremely sad, and is happening every day here. She is truly a hero for being this courageous through something like this. I hope they catch the piece of crap that did this. It happened a week ago, but it was only made public recently that the victim was Rene Burger, sister of Springbok Schalk.

http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/Rugby/0...2322920,00.html

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/...2322996,00.html

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/...2323063,00.html

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/...2323385,00.html

Absolutely appaling story and my heart goes out to the girl and her family. I just hope she is able to deal with the obvious long term effects of this traumatic attack.

Terrible news, she's so young. *******...
Gotta say it was only a matter of time before this happened to somebody who's well known (or related to). I was watching a South African documentary on SABC this week that said every 23 seconds a woman is raped in SA. You don't hear about them cause it happens in the black townships mostly. This guy will probably get a long jail sentence because it's so public now, however in reality most rapists get off easily. Most only get 3-5 years while they should be getting 15-LIFE.

I know most common law nations have a thing with cruel and unusual punishment, but the idea of locking the culprit in a room with Schalk would work on so many levels.

"This guy will probably get a long jail sentence because it's so public now, however in reality most rapists get off easily. Most only get 3-5 years while they should be getting 15-LIFE."

Yeah it's ridiculous, Australia has a high incidence of rape, which compounded with the fact that only a quarter of cases are reported, presents a rather frightening picture. The problem is, those in the judiciary and legislature are all/mainly men. They can't foresee the possibility of being raped themselves, but they can sure as hell foresee the possibility of being falsely accused of rape, subsequently most sexual assault legislation is right off the mark.

Even after we reformed the Crimes Act 1900 (NSW), the sexual contact itself is still not seen as inherently violent. For example, there is a big gap between aggravated sexual assault under s 61 and just sexual assault, the punishments for each being very disproportionate. It's better than it used to be though, before 1983 if a woman did not fight back during the assault, it sometimes was taken as evidence that the penetration (which could only be penis-vagina contact, good luck litigating if you were done up the coal shoot) was consensual.

A lot needs to be done to prevent this ****, we're still a long way off.

Terrible, a physical attack is bad enough but she was raped and kidnapped as well and must of wondered if she was going to be killed. A horrible story, as Steve says an eye opener though, around the world rapists are becoming more prominenet, it was only a matter of time before a profile relative etc.. was rapped.

Bring back capital punishement, in these cases.

You here about these stories everyday.terrible what these people do and for what, all they do is ruin peoples lives. Wonder if the man was HIV, hopefully he is not one of the millions who do.
Had a man come to my school to speak about Rape, saying that they have new law to keep rapist behind bars, hope they keep to the act
They should really start castrating rapists

Terrible, a physical attack is bad enough but she was raped and kidnapped as well and must of wondered if she was going to be killed. A horrible story, as Steve says an eye opener though, around the world rapists are becoming more prominenet, it was only a matter of time before a profile relative etc.. was rapped.

Bring back capital punishement, in these cases.
[/b]
Bring it back as a deterrent right? Well, I thought it was abandoned due to it not deterring criminals from committing such acts. In my opinion, the only way to scare people from committing these crimes is to either introduce really gruesome methods of capital punishment (Hang drawn and quartering for example), or to allow vigilante's to 'deal' with the criminal.

Vigilantenism is normally paved with good intentions, that's how the Mafia started out.

This is absolutely terrible. My heart goes out to the Burger family and I agree with Steve-o, she is the bravest of the brave for standing up to this sick, cowardly and despicable crime.

Even after we reformed the Crimes Act 1900 (NSW), the sexual contact itself is still not seen as inherently violent. For example, there is a big gap between aggravated sexual assault under s 61 and just sexual assault, the punishments for each being very disproportionate. It's better than it used to be though, before 1983 if a woman did not fight back during the assault, it sometimes was taken as evidence that the penetration (which could only be penis-vagina contact, good luck litigating if you were done up the coal shoot) was consensual.

A lot needs to be done to prevent this ****, we're still a long way off. [/b]

The original Sexual Offences act which made rape a criminal offence did not include lesbian rape. This is because Queen Victoria refused to sign it into law as "lesbians do not exist."

What is a lesbian? I mean, what is the unique thing that one ... does?

Another woman, I suppose. But so what? It's a load of old ****. Suppose it attracts government grants.

How come the media are allowed to release the name of the rape victim? Don't the victims of sexual assault get anonymity in SA, unless a judge agrees to lift the ban?

It's terrible that this has happened but it would be a shame if we only saw justice in this case because she's the sister of someone famous. Every rape victim, and rapist, derserves to be treated the same way whatever their background.

I have to say that I'm against the death penelty, however. I believe that rotting in jail your entire life is nastier than the 'quick release' of an execution.

How come the media are allowed to release the name of the rape victim?
[/b]

I think that it is the choice of the victim. All this talk of bringing the death penalty back, whether the punishment fits the crime etc. defeats the fact that such atrocities can still occur anywhere. Utterly disgusting. I will always struggle to work out why and how people can stoop to such levels. Just hope that recovery is quick, but no one deserves this.

Another fear the girl must have is the infection with HIV and she has to wait for the test results. Beside all she's been through this must be totally horrible.
Good to see that she is so strong and has the support of her family.

Such a sad story!

It doesn't feel right saying it, but a lot of good will come of this. Hopefully this will spark more woman to stand up and be really outspoken about what is a major issue in South Africa.

2008051513192014_rapesuspect220.jpg

ASSHOLES. I don't even think that's a strong enough term. Good Luck and Godspeed on catching this man and his friends. They deserve the worst of punishment.
I hope Rene is able to cope mentally with this whole ordeal. It sounds as if the family are close and are supporting her which is great. It's just a horrible, horrible ordeal.
I don't get what these sort of men actually get out of doing this sort of thing. I've never understood how someone can pervert sex, a wonderful, fun and enjoyable act that you share with someone, into some sort of abusive-control thing and how that is enjoyable. Twisted minds and souls.
It's sad that it takes someone of a higher profile to draw so much media attention to this topic. However, I hope that this can help to change things in SA.

What flippin coward I hope they catch the idiot that did this. They shouldn't give him the easy way out and give him the death penalty I say let them die in jail.

Thats really f***ed up man, I hope the guy that done the crime gets murdered.

To the victim and to the family keep your head up.

Thats really f***ed up man, I hope the guy that done the crime gets murdered.

To the victim and to the family keep your head up.
[/b]

Mandatory castration recommended.
Death penalty is usually no deterrent unfortunately.
But castration, now...

With a choice for the victim or her relatives to carry out the punishment. With a very blunt knife.

Absolutely sickening, I was staying over in Tygerberg just a few months ago, found it to be a really cool place, guess you never know what sicko is going to be walking around. South Africa has some violent brutal people, it's hard for anyone not living there to understand how valuable the death penalty is to safety for ordinary hard working citizens which are the overwhelming majority.

Bring it back, it'll save a lot of lives.

Latest posts