• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scotland 32 Man Squad

A

An Tarbh

Andy Robinson has included 3 uncapped players in his squad for the Autumn Internationals with Fiji first up on November 14 at Murrayfield, followed by tests against Australia and Argentina. Worcester's Alex Grove, Edinburgh's Alan MacDonald and Glasgow Warriors' Richie Vernon are the 3 players in question.

No place for Parks which is only surprising considering Jackson is out injured.

Scotland squad: John Barclay (Glasgow Warriors), Johnnie Beattie (Glasgow Warriors), Mike Blair (Edinburgh), Kelly Brown (Glasgow Warriors), Ben Cairns (Edinburgh), Geoff Cross (Edinburgh), Chris Cusiter (Glasgow Warriors), Simon Danielli (Ulster), Nick De Luca (Edinburgh), Alasdair Dickinson (Gloucester), Thom Evans (Glasgow Warriors), Ross Ford (Edinburgh), Phil Godman (Edinburgh), Alex Grove (Worcester Warriors), Dougie Hall (Glasgow Warriors), Nathan Hines (Leinster), Allan Jacobsen (Edinburgh), Alastair Kellock (Glasgow Warriors), Rory Lamont (Toulon), Sean Lamont (Scarlets), Rory Lawson (Gloucester), Scott Lawson (Gloucester), Moray Low (Glasgow Warriors), Alan MacDonald (Edinburgh), Scott MacLeod (Edinburgh), Graeme Morrison (Glasgow Warriors), Chris Paterson (Edinburgh), Hugo Southwell (Stade Francais), Alasdair Strokosch (Gloucester), Richie Vernon (Glasgow Warriors), Nikki Walker (Ospreys), Jason White (Clermont Auvergne).

Glad Nikki Walker's in it. He deserves it. Actually, I'm not. Continue playing for the Ospreys, Nikki!

No Parks? He's looked like he's going to destroy any team when they go up to Glasgow.

From an outsiders point of view I'm surprised that Ally Hogg is not selected. I would have thought with the absence of Simon Taylor they would have wanted some experience in their loose forwards. Who has the inside running to play at 8?

Also whats the story with Max Evans - is he injured or just not selected? He was the first choice centre for much of the Six Nations so it seems like a big demotion to me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darwin_23 @ Oct 22 2009, 05:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
From an outsiders point of view I'm surprised that Ally Hogg is not selected. I would have thought with the absence of Simon Taylor they would have wanted some experience in their loose forwards. Who has the inside running to play at 8?

Also whats the story with Max Evans - is he injured or just not selected? He was the first choice centre for much of the Six Nations so it seems like a big demotion to me.[/b]

Hogg has been playing very poorly recently, his form seemed to dip when the captaincy returned to Blair. (At the same time Edinburgh's performaces dipped. Go figure.)

Evans is still injured.

Edit: I wanted roddy Grant to get a place. he has limited experience in the 15 man game but he's been Edinburgh's most dynamic forward this year, and with Barclay not playing so well I'd like an out and out 7 to compete with him.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g6mcg @ Oct 23 2009, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darwin_23 @ Oct 22 2009, 05:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also whats the story with Max Evans - is he injured or just not selected? He was the first choice centre for much of the Six Nations so it seems like a big demotion to me.[/b]

Hogg has been playing very poorly recently, his form seemed to dip when the captaincy returned to Blair. (At the same time Edinburgh's performaces dipped. Go figure.)

Evans is still injured.

Edit: I wanted roddy Grant to get a place. he has limited experience in the 15 man game but he's been Edinburgh's most dynamic forward this year, and with Barclay not playing so well I'd like an out and out 7 to compete with him.
[/b][/quote]

Max Evans was playing tonight against Connacht and he scored within 3 mins of kick off so he is fit again. He will probably be added to the squad closer to the tests...

Max Evans scored 2 minutes into his comeback game against Connacht tonight. Too late for the AI's, unless we get serious injury problems.

Edit: Like alexmac said.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g6mcg @ Oct 24 2009, 06:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darwin_23 @ Oct 22 2009, 05:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Evans is still injured.

[/b][/quote]

Roddy Grant was that ginger that played for the Scotland sevens team right? He looked a good sevens player, but seemed to lack a bit of bulk (which may have been due to the sevens training he had been doing...).

Anyone care to make a prediction as to a starting team from this squad?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darwin_23 @ Oct 23 2009, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g6mcg @ Oct 24 2009, 06:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Evans is still injured.

[/b][/quote]

Roddy Grant was that ginger that played for the Scotland sevens team right? He looked a good sevens player, but seemed to lack a bit of bulk (which may have been due to the sevens training he had been doing...).

[/b][/quote]
1. Moray Low
2. Ford
3. Cross
4. Kellock
5. Hines
6. White
7. Barclay
8. Beattie
9. Cusiter
10. Godman
11. Evans
12. De Luca
13. Cairns (or Max Evans if he returns.)
14. Walker
15. Rory Lamont

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (alexmac @ Oct 24 2009, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darwin_23 @ Oct 23 2009, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Evans is still injured.

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
1. Moray Low
2. Ford
3. Cross
4. Kellock
5. Hines
6. White
7. Barclay
8. Beattie
9. Cusiter
10. Godman
11. Evans
12. De Luca
14. Walker
15. Rory Lamont
[/b][/quote]

I heard somewhere that Alasdair Strokosch has been guaranteed he will start at 6 in the first test - may mean that White will move into the second row to lock with Hines. My biggest worry for this team would be the lack of experience in the front row and loosies. The front row will not be a problem against Fiji, but it could be put under pressure against both Australia (who have quite a good scrum this year) and particularly Argentina.

Aye I forgot about Strokosch. My mistake. Hines and Kellock would work but im not sure about the front row...BRING BACK TOM SMITH!!!!

No just no with De Luca, he's plain awful and offers nothing. Much better having Morrison there or even Sean Lamont, or they might look at playing him at outside centre where he's been playing well with the Scarlets.

The team for Australia will be:

1. Jacobsen, 2. Ford, 3. Low, 4. Hines, 5. MacLeod, 6. Strokosch, 7. Barclay, 8. Beattie, 9. Cusiter, 10. Godman, 11. Danielli, 12. Morrison, 13. Cairns, 14. Evans, 15. Paterson

Subs: Dickinson, Hall, Kellock, Brown, Blair, A Lamont (not sure which one), De Luca

Compare that to the team that played Australia 3 years ago:

Scotland: Paterson (capt); Lamont, Di Rollo, Henderson, Webster; Parks, Blair; Kerr, Hall, E Murray, Kellock, S Murray, Taylor, Brown, Callam.
Replacements: Ford, Jacobsen, Hamilton, Strokosch, Lawson, Godman, Southwell.

Front row: Better now
Locks: About the same
Backrow: Better now
Half backs: Better now
Centres: Much better now
Back three: Better now
Subs: Better now

And the Aussie's have lost Larkham, Latham, Gregan, Tuqiri and Mortlock is out injured. They've got some good replacements (Giteau is a fantastic player) but I think we'll give them a much better game than 3 years ago.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (alexmac @ Oct 23 2009, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darwin_23 @ Oct 23 2009, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Evans is still injured.

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
1. Moray Low
2. Ford
3. Cross
4. Kellock
5. Hines
6. White
7. Barclay
8. Beattie
9. Cusiter
10. Godman
11. Evans
12. De Luca
14. Walker
15. Rory Lamont
[/b][/quote]

No Patterson? You've practically chucked away 6 points at least already. And Sean Lamont has been in outstanding form for the Scarlets. I'd have him at 13.

Is Murray still suffering the same injury that plauged him for the Lions?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (crispy @ Oct 24 2009, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The team for Australia will be:

1. Jacobsen, 2. Ford, 3. Low, 4. Hines, 5. MacLeod, 6. Strokosch, 7. Barclay, 8. Beattie, 9. Cusiter, 10. Godman, 11. Danielli, 12. Morrison, 13. Cairns, 14. Evans, 15. Paterson

Subs: Dickinson, Hall, Kellock, Brown, Blair, A Lamont (not sure which one), De Luca

Compare that to the team that played Australia 3 years ago:

Scotland: Paterson (capt); Lamont, Di Rollo, Henderson, Webster; Parks, Blair; Kerr, Hall, E Murray, Kellock, S Murray, Taylor, Brown, Callam.
Replacements: Ford, Jacobsen, Hamilton, Strokosch, Lawson, Godman, Southwell.

Front row: Better now
Locks: About the same
Backrow: Better now
Half backs: Better now
Centres: Much better now
Back three: Better now
Subs: Better now

And the Aussie's have lost Larkham, Latham, Gregan, Tuqiri and Mortlock is out injured. They've got some good replacements (Giteau is a fantastic player) but I think we'll give them a much better game than 3 years ago.[/b]

To be fair, I don't think Australia will be too worried.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Oct 25 2009, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (alexmac @ Oct 23 2009, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Evans is still injured.

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
1. Moray Low
2. Ford
3. Cross
4. Kellock
5. Hines
6. White
7. Barclay
8. Beattie
9. Cusiter
10. Godman
11. Evans
12. De Luca
14. Walker
15. Rory Lamont
[/b][/quote]

No Patterson? You've practically chucked away 6 points at least already. And Sean Lamont has been in outstanding form for the Scarlets. I'd have him at 13.

Is Murray still suffering the same injury that plauged him for the Lions?
[/b][/quote]

Murray is still injured (I think - after Max Evans comeback minutes after I said he was out I'm not taking any chances)

Mossy is a great kicker (at under 40 metres anyway). But Godman is pretty good, and has the ability to get those longer penalties. I would pick Paterson, but only because he's been playing well at 15, not for his goal kicking ability, though it is pretty useful ;)

Cairns got injured against the Dragons so he might miss all the AI's. Paterson and MacDonald have some wierd injuries that kept them out the Dragons game but are expected to play some part in the AI's.

Also Kyle Traynor got called up to replace Dickinson.

Incredible Schalk might like to know that De Luca has been very good the past few games, vicious in defence, tireless at the breakdown and making lots of breaks. He still makes some frustrating errors, but he's not as bad as you make out.

I would rather Nathan Hines played centre for Scotland, i just dont rate him at all at international level. We make enough mistakes without bringing in De Luca.

Latest posts