• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scotland or Italy for Argentina in 1/4?

J

jabali

Things are going tight in pool D (yes, I said 'pool D')

The most likely result is Argentina leading it. In order to have things changed, for the next Ireland-Argentina game Ireland should win with bonus point over Arg. That means to do 4 tries to a team who have not conceded a try yet in the tournament.

Being said that: who will play Argentina? Scotland or Italy?

I'd love to say Scotland, but after the woeful performance against New Zealand yesterday I fear the worst.

Italy have got some momentum behind them, whereas the Scots must surely have had their morale kicked right into touch with such an inept display of rugby at Murrayfield.

If it is Italy it gonna be tough for most of the players: half the team is argentinean. It will look like pumas vs pumas :(

If it is Italy it gonna be tough for most of the players: half the team is argentinean. It will look like pumas vs pumas :(
[/b]

As I've said in another forum that would be: Pumas vs Argentina "B" :bleh!:

i dont think you can say we were "woeful" yesterday - we fielded a weakened side to what will play in St. Etienne, and we only lost by 40 (italys first string conceded 70 odd). with our first choice pack, and Parks starting at Stand-off, mossy on the wing and the lamont brothers back in im confident we can beat Italy on saturday (its gonna be a nervous week though)

also, the prize at stake is massive! this could be scotlands best chance to reach the semi's since 91, and a chance to become "the best northern hemisphere side" based on world cup positions. just 2 simple wins away from the semi's in the Stade de France - sounds so easy put like that! ;) i just hope the pressure dosent get to scotland, we dont want a repeat of the 6 Nations game!

I think that the New Zealand game was a formality really. Hadden waved the white flag with that selection - most know my feelings on that subject. We did turn them over a bit but playing a team that quality we were hardly ever going to get the ball and when we did, we didn't have a chance to use it.

Our first strength side should beat Italy. Our pack has beefed up and I think we've nullified Italy's only real sorce of strength. Our backs certainly have more skill and are now rather large. Parks' tactical kicking game has been pretty spot on all World Cup and he really has won me over (see some previous posts of mine), so if he maintains that our lineout - which has functioned pretty well I'd say - should pressure Italy into mistakes and keep them in their corner.

The most important thing is that we keep cool and calm. IF we find ourseleves behind with time on our side, take the 3 points. Surely the strength and conditioning work put in all over the summer, which is evident for all to see, will pay off in the last 10 minutes. The most important 10 minutes of the game.

Funny how you guys interpret history. Since I am myself an historian, i rather see it as "italy old world vs italy new world" since half the argentinial players have italian roots like half the argentinian population.

But as usual people forget about history.

Funny how you guys interpret history. Since I am myself an historian, i rather see it as "italy old world vs italy new world" since half the argentinial players have italian roots like half the argentinian population.

But as usual people forget about history.
[/b]

When we talk about rugby I think it's quite clear which of these two countries have a long tradition playing it and producing good players.

By the way it would be quite difficult for most of us to forget about this fact when we hold italian citizenship too ;)

Hard to judge which of these two teams is going to meet France in the 1/4 final.

Neither showed much against the ABs: Italy eventually got over their stage fright, and Scotland's second team spent all match doing a sword dance in their own 22. I'll go for Scotland, because they've tightened up their defence.

Hard to judge which of these two teams is going to meet France in the 1/4 final.[/b]

Yeah is so much easier who's the so called favorite team that's going to lose two matches in POOL D.

At least 2 of our Pumas are as good as yours though... Castrogiovanni and Parisse :)

Anyway, I cant see Italy winning... Scotland B v NZ isnt any effect in the actual Scotland that will play Italy... an Italy which has been poor and unimaginative so far.

Scotland's defense has always been pretty good. But Italy just lack that bit of spark in the backline, so if Scotland play semi decently and with Paterson kicking the points with alarming regularity (Scary that his kicking is like better than Wilkinson), can't see anything but Scotland winning.

semifinal will be Scotland-France

Ireland are more than capable to beat Argentina (I'd say by 15 - 18) even if I can't see the Irish getting the bonus point (but it's not impossible)

Argentina didn't prove a lot so far as they played vs. an horrible France (and France always struggled vs. Pumas, losing 4 of last 5 tm)

Ireland's gonna play with pride trying to develop an efficient open game, that Pumas don't love to face...

this will allow Les Blues to clinch first spot in pool D and play their quarterfinal in Paris vs. the Scots

actually, Italy has no chance to beat Scotaldn even if I think Azzurri will settle a real dogfight and Scotland will struggle, but at the moment the difference in game quality is too much

so we will probably have NZ-ARG in Cardiff and France-Scotland in Paris

Ireland are more than capable to beat Argentina (I'd say by 15 - 18) even if I can't see the Irish getting the bonus point (but it's not impossible)[/b]

15 - 18? In that vain I could say that we could win by 30 points, we have beaten France and France has beaten Ireland easily. In any case I guess that you haven't seen latest results from maybe 1990 onwards, not more than 10 points of difference ever between these two teams (except once - 11 - and for us, well and the last 16-0 for us too).

Bonus point impossible? Well, we haven't received any try so far so I wouldn't dare to bet on that.

Argentina didn't prove a lot so far as they played vs. an horrible France (and France always struggled vs. Pumas, losing 4 of last 5 tm)[/b]

Well, that means something, and it's actually 5 out of 6. Also we have beaten both Georgia and Namibia without any trouble at all, that can't be said for Ireland.

Ireland's gonna play with pride trying to develop an efficient open game, that Pumas don't love to face...[/b]

Let's see if they can raise their level first. By the way the Pumas are going to be even MORE focused against Ireland than in the opening match, they will seek revenge after what happened in RWC 2003 and they will play 100%.

<div class='quotemain'>Ireland are more than capable to beat Argentina (I'd say by 15 - 18) even if I can't see the Irish getting the bonus point (but it's not impossible)[/b]

15 - 18? In that vain I could say that we could win by 30 points, we have beaten France and France has beaten Ireland easily. In any case I guess that you haven't seen latest results from maybe 1990 onwards, not more than 10 points of difference ever between these two teams (except once - 11 - and for us, well and the last 16-0 for us too).[/b][/quote]don't have a cow, it's just a prediction... :)

I hope Pumas players aren't understimating the Irish so much as you are doing, it would be a bad error

p.s.: the 16-0 was versus a "4th string" Ireland, doesn't mean anything

I hope Pumas players aren't understimating the Irish so much as you are doing, it would be a bad error[/b]

I'm not doing it, what I'm saying is if they played as they have been playing so far they have no chance, I expect them to improve but to beat us by 15-18 is not even something logic in any case, that have never happened so far (never ever) and playing like that ... just impossible.
And as I've already told you, the Pumas will go for it very seriously, they will be 100% ready for a fight because they have been waiting for this match since four years ago, it will be better for the irish side to be ready.

p.s.: the 16-0 was versus a "4th string" Ireland, doesn't mean anything[/b]

Yep, that's why it was between (), I stressed that the matches involving Argentina and Ireland are almost always very closed and decided in the final minutes.

re:patterson - he was statistically the best Goal Kicker in the Northern Hemisphere in 2006, i think some people dont give him the credit he deserves!

and compare him to a certain D. Carter - he missed 5 of 9 on sunday - whereas Mossy has landed every attempt (and so has Parks for that matter)

I'd love to say Scotland, but after the woeful performance against New Zealand yesterday I fear the worst.

Italy have got some momentum behind them, whereas the Scots must surely have had their morale kicked right into touch with such an inept display of rugby at Murrayfield.
[/b]

I find this analysis quite strange, I would have thought it was the Scots who had the momentum despite their result against the All Blacks, but in fairness that was going to happen regardless of the side that played, but comparatively speaking the Scots performances against Romania and Portugal have been far better than Italy's.

I think Scotland will come through relatively comfortably and have a decent chance against Argentina as they could get complacent thinking they have one foot in the semi-finals.

Either way the winner will be facing Argentina, they won't lose to Ireland cause we haven't addressed any of our problems.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

I find this analysis quite strange, I would have thought it was the Scots who had the momentum despite their result against the All Blacks, but in fairness that was going to happen regardless of the side that played, but comparatively speaking the Scots performances against Romania and Portugal have been far better than Italy's.

I think Scotland will come through relatively comfortably and have a decent chance against Argentina as they could get complacent thinking they have one foot in the semi-finals.

Either way the winner will be facing Argentina, they won't lose to Ireland cause we haven't addressed any of our problems.
[/b][/quote]

I agree with you in everything. I expected the same reaction from the scottish fans when I opened the discussion, but I was sourprised of their derrotism.