• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scotland team selection

Saltire Caley fan

Academy Player
Seeing as Gregor Townsend announces his final squad for the world cup on Tuesday, I thought I'd start a thread for you peeps to discuss who you think should or could make the final cut :).

Hamish Watson is out of the rest of the tournament, Magnus Bradbury has been called up to replace

Expected but a real shame... 1 of 3 Scottish players that would have a pretty good shot at getting in any World Cup squad.

Price has been ruled out too. Replaced by Pyrgos. Time for Horne the younger?

The Scottish XV that faced Ireland are good enough to beat Samoa. Laidlaw can marshal his superior pack easily enough in the remaining pool games. He just doesn't fit the more flamboyant style of the rest of the backs when up against top packs. I dont think any player dropped can have any complaints. Overall I think Scotland's best quality will be found with:

Berghan and Zander at prop

Horne at scrum half

D'Arcy and Kinghorn on the wings (although questionmarks on Kinghorn defensively)

Bradbury for physicality (seeing as Watson is down and is the usual muscle)

Centres staying the same (despite an ordinary game the alternatives in the 31 are not the answer, did Huw lose a leg down the back of the sofa or something? How is he not in the 31 when such ordinary centres were picked?)

But most importantly, despite the flak Townsend is getting Scotland need XV players that are going to be on board with whatever he decides. If that means guys like Finn and McInally (being hypothetical) get dropped then so be it.

Price has been ruled out too. Replaced by Pyrgos. Time for Horne the younger?
That is a shame. I like Price. The way he plays and he always has a smile on his face.

Latest posts