• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scotland v Australia

H

Haj

Fox Sports commentator Greg Clark previews Scotland v Australia
By Greg Clark
[/i]November 18, 2009 The Grand Slam dream might be over but all is not lost for Robbie Deans and his Wallabies on their northern tour but their aim now must be to go through undefeated after their 20-all draw with Ireland.

The players are still hurting after allowing Ireland to snatch a draw in the dying minutes in Dublin and until they rediscover how to close out a game there will be more frustration.

They've been in front of the All Blacks at half time in five of their last six Tests and haven’t gone on to win.

Last week they were ahead at the break but couldn't go on with the job.

But at least the positives outweighed the negatives again. The scrum was very good and critics in the northern hemisphere are amazed that the Wallabies have been able to turn things around so quickly when it comes to scrummaging.

The back row of Elsom, Pocock and Palu turned in their best performance for some time.

While coach Deans says George Smith is still a big part of his ongoing plans, the decision to elevate David Pocock to the starting side last week paid dividends.

He thoroughly deserved his man of the match award but Rocky Elsom must have come close. It was great to see him leading by example and it doesn’t appear that the added responsibility of the captaincy is stifling his performance.

Will Genia had another solid game at scrumhalf and has clearly overtaken Luke Burgess as the preferred No.9. His combination with Matt Giteau will only get better, but the midfield is still a concern to me.

With Berrick Barnes on the injured list I believe Deans has to stick with the Quade Cooper-Digby Ioane combo but I’d like to see them attack more often.

Last week there was a chance to have a crack out wide but the first instinct from Giteau and Cooper was to kick.

Fox Sports expert Rod Kafer was throwing his hands in the air during the commentary as opportunities to attack weren't executed.

Then there was the defensive mix up at the end that allowed Brian O'Driscoll to waltz through untouched and the conversion clinched the draw.

The lineout remains the biggest problem though and let's just hope that there is an improvement against Scotland this week. Like the Irish, the Scots won’t be overawed and they’ll be keen to attack our throws.

I wasn't impressed with Scotland's win over Fiji last week and the Wallabies have a golden opportunity to remain unbeaten on tour. Australia hasn’t lost to Scotland since 1982, winning 16 Tests on the trot.

While this Wallabies can't afford to be complacent, I expect them to win comfortably.

The best way to relieve the frustration of last week’s missed opportunity is to take it out on your next opponent.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,2...5016959,00.html

Scotland 22 is unchanged

Rory Lamont
Sean Lamont
Alex Grove
Graeme Morrison
Simon Danielli
Phil Godman
Chris Cusiter
Allan Jacobsen
Ross Ford
Moray Low
Nathan Hines
Alastair Kellock
Alasdair Strokosch
Johnnie Beattie
John Barclay.

Dougie Hall
Kyle Traynor
Jason White
Richie Vernon
Mike Blair
Chris Paterson
Nick De Luca

Only a few changes I’d have liked:

Thom Evans for Danielli
Richie Gray to replace White on the bench
Cairns to replace De Dropped it on the bench

Either way I expect us to lose, heavily and without scoring many.

I'm going! £5 a ticket just tells you how dire rugby is in Scotland. Come on Australia!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Nov 21 2009, 02:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm going! £5 a ticket just tells you how dire rugby is in Scotland. Come on Australia![/b]

We've only sold about 40,000 seats, why don't we move the games around for a different audience?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g6mcg @ Nov 21 2009, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Nov 21 2009, 02:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm going! £5 a ticket just tells you how dire rugby is in Scotland. Come on Australia![/b]

We've only sold about 40,000 seats, why don't we move the games around for a different audience?
[/b][/quote]

£5 a ticket and only 40,000 against Austrailia. That's just insane. At those kind of prices Murrayfield should easily be sold out, especially with Scotland playing better than for amny years and a new eara just beggining with Andy Robinson as coach and the likes or Thom and Max Evans providing some much needed flair (even if they aren't starting today).

Wow Kepu is playing really well at #8 despite being a hooker and not being named in the starting 15. Good job dave man.

wallabies have bombed a lot of chances in the first half. Scots defence has been solid.gits might regret missing the penalty and drop goal.

Australia just don't seem to be able to finish,
They've spent alot of time in the Scottish 22, but just can't cross the line

Don't think anyone expected the scoreline to be this close/Scotland to be ahead with less than ten minutes to go!

This has really come down to it!
A try at 80.23 for Australia to put it at 9-8!
A conversion for the win...

Took too long on the run up, the scottish players almost got a hand to it in the air, and it misses!

Scotland do what Ireland and England failed to, and beat Australia!

Well done to the scots. Huge defensive effort but more importantly played with lots of heart.
wallabies were rubbish in the second half.

For f***'s sake, I don't think I've ever seen a team more dominant lose a game before.

Australia scuppered between 10 & 14 with clear cut try-scoring chances. Giteau scuppered 8 easy points with his boot, perhaps even more from that DG.

A clinical team should have won that game at least 26-9; at most 33-9. I cannot believe they lost.

................................................................................
.................................................................................
.................................................................................

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Nov 22 2009, 01:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Australia just don't seem to be able to finish,
They've spent alot of time in the Scottish 22, but just can't cross the line

Don't think anyone expected the scoreline to be this close/Scotland to be ahead with less than ten minutes to go![/b]

Scotland 9 Oz 8 FT

Upset of the day if not the month

Congrats to all Scottish fans, a day to remember. Best defensive effort since France against NZ in the WC. I thought Aus had stolen the win there at the death, but Giteau who was totally off with the boot missed the conversion................ and I cheered and jamp around as if it were Wales. For 160minutes there, I became Stottish.

Awesome!

Latest posts