Scotland v France

A

An Tarbh

<div align="center">
Scotland.gif
Scotland v France
France.gif
</div>

So another new era in French rugby now that Laporte has taken his seat at cabinet and a number of high profile players have called a day on their international careers. Lièvremont has certainly rung the changes therefore ahead of this opener in Murrayfield where they came acropper 2 years ago. The Scots will certainly hoping for history to repeat itself.

Confidence levels certainly are high in Scotland ahead of this opener, there's certainly no fear of the French given the way they dismissed them 2 years ago but they did get a hiding in Paris last year. However that is likely to have no bearing on Sunday's outcome given the massive changes in French personnel.

Hadden, for his part is certainly adding to those reputations after admitting that he fully expects to be involved in the shake-up when his side head to Rome on March 15. Firstly though they'll have to dispatch this French side and that's no easy task.

If Scotland are to be in the shake-up then these home games are must wins. So are Hadden's expectations justified or will they fall flat by Sunday evening???

Lièvremont has certainly brought in the new faces and left out some familiar ones to boot. So will this fresh injection into the squad be the right pick-me-up for the French following their world cup dissappointment???

I dont know if i should be optimistic or not for Scotlands chances. France have brought in some new faces but they would still walk into our squad so realistically the French definetely have the edge in class. But at home and hopefully like 2 years ago we can shock the French, you couldnt wish to have them in a better situation. I just hope we see a few tries and if we win, all the better.

Yeah I predicted a French win, but a close one. To be honest though I havent a clue which way it will go. Obviously hoping for a Scottish win.

I really don't know what to expect of this new french side sunday. There are plenty of talents, a clever staff (at last...) and I'm confident for the future. But now ? You don't create a team in less than a week... the first training was yesterday !

Don't know what to expect from the Scots too. They are as always - and like us - unpredictable and we saw some good stuff in the World Cuo or recently with Edinburg and Glasgow in H-Cup.

However, like Schalk said and no disrespect to the scots, France is a class above. Some players, especially from Toulouse and Clermont are now the best in Europe, we saw it in H-Cup too. The H-Cup where Toulouse beat Edinburgh twice, but with only a 4 points lead at Edinburgh. I think it's a good indicator, 70% of these two teams will be on the field sunday.

So i'd go for a close french win again, with maybe something like 23-16 at the end.

I hope france wins but as seen above their first training was yesterday, so the game on sunday is going to be exciting and that defeat 2 years ago doesn't matter as much because of all the new players in france's starting line.

Considering this will probably be the closest game of the weekend im surprised there isnt more activity in this thread. Where yeeee Scots...

It's going to be a great game. Might not be a pretty one, but I think it's just going to be one of thos closey fought matches.

France have had made alot of changes since the RWC, whereas Scotland haven't really. We've got a couple of new faces, but overall the continuity is there from what was, for us, a decent world cup that could have gone further. Just like 2 years ago, a good start is key. Get an early score and keep on the front foot.

We're at home, and last year aside, we've given the french trouble for the past couple years so we certainly know how to beat them.

I say Scotland, just.

I think Scotland have a good chance of winning. It is always good to get France at the beginning of the tournament and there should be a big crowd at Murrayfield. It is looking more and more likly that most of our key and experianced players will be fit and there is a wealth of talented youth.

As everyone else has said it will be tough but i reckon a Scotland win will be the outcome

Really looking forward to this game - and im relitivly confident going into it - not that Scotland are going to win, but that we will give it a good shot and at least make a game of it. I was disapointed with our backline in the WC, they seemed to have no confidence and indecisive (its a telling fact that R. Lamont was the only one to bag more than 1 try!) but with a sellout murrayfield crowd behind them if we start well that confidence will quickly build!

as everyone has already said, its going to be tight, but i'll predict a hard-fought 22-20 win for the scots.

Cant wait to shout myself hoarse on sunday now! :D

This is such a hard game to call given the French team is so different. Scotland at home is never easy but i will stick my neck out and say France to win by 10 points ( I hope)

This is such a hard game to call given the French team is so different. Scotland at home is never easy but i will stick my neck out and say France to win by 10 points ( I hope)
[/b]

Why do you "hope" France win? If they dont surely England will have a good shot at the ***le. <_<

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Why do you "hope" France win? If they dont surely England will have a good shot at the ***le. <_<
[/b][/quote]

If England win all their games they will win the ***le.We shouldnt have to rely on other teams to win,I dont mean that in an arrogant way it should be that way for all the teams. The grand slam is important simply winning the ***le isnt that important. Also I would much rather see France win because I like their style of play(historically) and Scotland are not really a significant rugby nation in my view.

I really don't know what to expect of this new french side sunday. There are plenty of talents, a clever staff (at last...) and I'm confident for the future. But now ? You don't create a team in less than a week... the first training was yesterday !

Don't know what to expect from the Scots too. They are as always - and like us - unpredictable and we saw some good stuff in the World Cuo or recently with Edinburg and Glasgow in H-Cup.

However, like Schalk said and no disrespect to the scots, France is a class above. Some players, especially from Toulouse and Clermont are now the best in Europe, we saw it in H-Cup too. The H-Cup where Toulouse beat Edinburgh twice, but with only a 4 points lead at Edinburgh. I think it's a good indicator, 70% of these two teams will be on the field sunday.

So i'd go for a close french win again, with maybe something like 23-16 at the end. [/b]
I agree with every point - except the last one! And it looks like there's going to be snow.

Ntamak may restore the magnificence, but under his watch France will also collapse magnificently a few times.

And I hope Scots rugby is recovering its canniness - plenty of evidence there from the RWC, and from Edinburgh over the last two seasons.

French team named 4 debutants included:

France team: C Heymans (Toulouse); J Malzieu (Clermont-Auvergne), F Fritz (Toulouse), D Traille (Biarritz), V Clerc (Toulouse); F Trinh-Duc (Montpellier), J-B Elissalde (Toulouse); L Faure (Sale), W Servat (Toulouse), J Brugnaut (Dax), L Nallet (Castres, capt), L Jacquet (Clermont-Auvergne), F Ouedraogo (Montpellier), T Dusautoir (Toulouse), E Vermeulen (Clermont-Auvergne).

Replacements: N Mas (Perpignan), D Szarzewski (Stade Francais), A Mela (Albi), J Bonnaire (Clermont-Auvergne), M Parra (Bourgoin), D Skrela (Stade Francais), A Rougerie (Clermont-Auvergne).

Oh now that looks a team capable of capitulating. Nothing like introducing a debutant out-half to international rugby in a miserably wet and windy Murrayfield. Get at em yee Scots!

Wow, why is Bonnaire on the bench? With such a young team I'd thought they'd put all their big guns in the starting XV. Bold choices there from France.

Wow, risky choices ! Especially Trinh-Duc at fly half. This kid is talented, but at high level ? He never played in H-Cup ! Plus I saw him at Paris against le Stade Français, and he did a bad match, don't sure if he is mature enough or able to play under pressure in big games.

Skrela has been excellent in his last 3 games with le Stade Français and he has now some good experience, to me he's more solid since his bad world cup experience. Picked him would have been more prudent. A good compromise between youth and experience would have been Beauxis but he was injuried during the last 3 months... hope to see him for the next games.

Ouedrago is also a good player, strong runner, but with Bonnaire on the bench, we lose a good jumper...

Heymans has done a few excellent games with Toulouse at fullback, but everybody has in mind his match against Argentina. Might be some up and under sunday...

Well at least the trio Lievremont/N'Tamack/Retieres have the courage to pursue their idea, and to test some new talent. And even if I'm a little scared, it's good thing.

Servat was the best hooker in France before his injuries (better than Ibanez imo...) he's now in good form again and his cap is deserved, he was pretty good with Toulouse in Top 14 & H-Cup. Plus Szarszeski on the bench maybe a good impact player.

Faure, don't know much about him but I heard that he pushed Sheridan on the bench at Sale. If it's the case, I believe he's really good.

Brugnaut... I know that Dax has a strong scrum, but I can't say more.

Anyway, this match will be very, very interesting ;)

Latest posts