• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scotland v France

<div class='quotemain'>
Szarzewski is a good player but god he's awful at throwing. I see him every week with le Stade Français and he don't seems to improve...
[/b]
Wasn't Ibanez poor at the lineout? Everytime I see him play he loses about 20% of his own throws. You seem to have a weak link at the lineout. :unsure: [/b][/quote]

Well to be fair to poor old Ibanez, he did have the handicap of being sat in the BBC Studio as a pundit. Pretty hard to throw the ball from there :lol:

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
Szarzewski is a good player but god he's awful at throwing. I see him every week with le Stade Français and he don't seems to improve...
[/b]
Wasn't Ibanez poor at the lineout? Everytime I see him play he loses about 20% of his own throws. You seem to have a weak link at the lineout. :unsure: [/b][/quote]

Well to be fair to poor old Ibanez, he did have the handicap of being sat in the BBC Studio as a pundit. Pretty hard to throw the ball from there :lol:
[/b][/quote]
I think you misunderstood me, I mean he's been poor in the lineout for France when he wasn't retired, and he hasn't been brilliant for Wasps either. <_<

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]
I think you misunderstood me, I mean he's been poor in the lineout for France when he wasn't retired, and he hasn't been brilliant for Wasps either. <_< [/b][/quote]

Its a bit difficult to misunderstand when you don't even say the words which would cause the misunderstanding. Sadly, Cisco haven't developed the technology for telepathic networking.

Didn't see much of this, but Scotland look musclebound - all grunt and crashball, without trying to stretch the opposition. Very disappointing. But Patterson is a smart player.

Agree about Clerc. All the talent in attack and defence, plus he does pick his moments, doesn't he? Like Croke Park last year - :%#%#: Malzieu is a beast - caused Munster a bit of terror. If Heymans can really settle in at fullback - he had a nightmare against Arg in the RWC - then nobody will stop that back three.

Is Ntamak responsible for this? I think he was coach of the U-21s, which was a brillllllliant team.

Actually, the first half was pretty good stuff by Scotland, lots of running and offloading.

I guess not, but I sorta implied what I meant in the message dry.gif. My bad. [/b]

lol, no, you implied that Ibanez was running the line out today :p

Didn't see much of this, but Scotland look musclebound - all grunt and crashball, without trying to stretch the opposition. Very disappointing. But Patterson is a smart player.

Agree about Clerc. All the talent in attack and defence, plus he does pick his moments, doesn't he? Like Croke Park last year - :%#%#: Malzieu is a beast - caused Munster a bit of terror. If Heymans can really settle in at fullback - he had a nightmare against Arg in the RWC - then nobody will stop that back three.

Is Ntamak responsible for this? I think he was coach of the U-21s, which was a brillllllliant team.
[/b]

This style of play is exactly what Ntamack is aiming at. But he will need time to make it reliable, as today was more of a "the gods of rugby are on our side" day i reckon. I mean, two perfect rebounds and a dubious pass made three tries that we could as well have missed on a bad day.
I also agree about the whole clerc craze going on here.
One of his best games with france, against the boks two years ago, magic handoff for his second try
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1...h&plindex=0

Anyone else see Vincent Clercs NFL type celerbration jumping into his team mate in the air?! quality!

Never saw that match before. Now explain to me again - why didn't France win RWC 07? :rolleyes:

BTW - I started the Clerc craze on the England-Wales thread on 01 Feb - Teh Mite is just following my good judgment.

Never saw that match before. Now explain to me again - why didn't France win RWC 07? :rolleyes:
[/b]

1/ France didn't dare enough. If this kind of game would have been a suicide against Blacks, it certainly could have made France qualified for the final

2/ France suffered for some partial arbitration, especially in the Argentina and England matches.

I know, easy going guys... you're telling yourselves it's another justification. On that I will say what could have been partially legitime for years, reflects of french bad actions and behaviour, is no more.
Discipline education is one of the rare lesson Laporte taught to our rugby.

Disappointing is one of the many ways to descibe Scotlands performance today.

Same as last year the school-boy errors are still present and gave the game away. Although you have to admit the ball was bouncing in France's favour all game.

There were some stunning performances from some of the more inexperienced Scotland players and once the whole team has jelled and starts to play as well as they can then they'll be a force to be reckoned with.

When Dan Parks is on form then he is immense but he is a bit patchy at the moment. Patterson made a great impact when he came on and that almost try was unlucky.

I must say that neither team played well. France had some good plays but they had some awful ones too. If the ball bounced differently then the score-line and the game would have been much different.

It bodes well for both sides though. You can see that with a bit more practise they will both be immense teams.

Just lets make sure Scotland don't perform the same as last year and only beat the Welsh...cos if they do i won't hear the end of it from my welsh girlfriend!

Today we were rank rotten.

We made so many mistakes, comical defending for two of the french tries and so many basic handling errors which are just sinful at this level. We made very little effort to play smart rugby, just hit it up and hit up again with no real attempt to put width on the ball.

I mean, the simplest but most effective game plan is to use slow ball for a few phases to suck in the opposition forwards, maybe use a cheeky wee crash ball to stretch the defence then just fling it wide. Instead, we continually just used crash balls and forced offloads that weren't on. This did improve to a degree when Paterson came on (not sure if that was because he was on or just coincidence though) but by that stage it was far too late. If we're going to use our size and strength we should also learn that the ball is the most important thing and that we should not be needlessly throwing it away.

The handling errors were shocking. How many knock ons and fumbles can one team make? Simply not good enough for so called internationalists. For instance, the 1st half there was a wee grubber through which Walker gathered. Now, when tackled he should have kept hold of the ball and we could have built a platform from there. Instead, he throws the ball away, France gather and run up the park with it. Compleltey wasted territory and possesion. We also dropped alot of off-loads. Great, we're trying to play running rugby but we need to have the basic skills before we do that and today it just didn't look like we did.

We pannicked. Parks' drop goal came about because we were going nowhere. Our team was bunched up, standing far too flat. No one thought to just take the ball, slow it down and get set and go from there. Instead we were frantic and threw the ball away.

As for the selection....Well Hadden was always going to be judged on how well the team played. Barclay and Callam in the back row weren't too impressive. Hogg and Strokosh really should have been involved today, going by form and experience (though more for th former than the latter). Paterson's introduction was the loudest chear of the match. We seemed to run the ball better with him at 10 and didn't just hit it up. His goal kicking would have come in handy at times today. Parks had a poor game apart from a couple of a good tactical kicks. De Luca was OK for his first cap, but by no means brilliant. Infact, the only player who I would say deserved anything vaguley resembling praise was Alan Jacobson.

A vast, vast improvement needed in the 6 day turnaround. If we don't improve we will have our arses handed to us down in Wales next Saturday.

France have surprised me, good mixture of youth and experience really paid off and i believe they've easily played the most exciting rugby out of the 3 games so far. Elvis at number 8 didnt have a blinding match and i expect Bonnaire to start next time, but a pretty solid performance none the less.

ok, just back and im seriously ****** off so i'll keep this short:

we were sh*te! end of!

OK, were actually looked quite useful in the first half but what followed was just terrible. we created so many chances, yet didnt convert a single one. The number of overlaps we had that went to waste was ridiculous (although the near-try I dont believe was a knock on - I think it came off a frenchmans knee, however the bottom line is we didnt deserve anything)

The coaching staff have been talking the last week about how much strength-in-depth Scotland now have, and how there is competition for places - well Hadden, this is the time to take a hard line! tell the players that the perform or they warm the bench - starting with Parksy!!!!!

Also, the A-team performed well in venice, so reward these players with a place in the team, and let the seasoned internationals know they have to prove their worth!!!!

I was going to end this post on a plus, but I cant actually think of any! (other than how great it is to be able to drink at your seat! :D )

I reckon that the French were made to look decidedly better than average by a very poor Scottish side today. Reminds of some past Wales games I've watched - a lack of ideas and no really drive.

[/b]

And they have Rougerie to come off the bench... Worrying for sure.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

1/ France didn't dare enough. If this kind of game would have been a suicide against Blacks, it certainly could have made France qualified for the final

2/ France suffered for some partial arbitration, especially in the Argentina and England matches.

I know, easy going guys... you're telling yourselves it's another justification. On that I will say what could have been partially legitime for years, reflects of french bad actions and behaviour, is no more.
Discipline education is one of the rare lesson Laporte taught to our rugby.
[/b][/quote]

You forgot the fantastic match saving tap tackle from the much maligned Worsley.

Not quite sure why France didn't put Skrela to start off at 10, but Trinh Duc was suprisingly okay, not good, but he didn't make mistakes and did his job. He impressed me. Paterson made a definite impact when he came on, well played to him I thought.

Scotland played horribly the second half, winning the ball where it mattered but failing to use it and just ending up making a shambles of it all. Hope to see improvement in Scotlands game..

Latest posts