• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scotland vs South Africa (2021 EoYT round 3)

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
To a small extent SA 'A' vs SA? Spicy.

Scotland will be up for it though everything considered- beating Aus whereas Aus beat us twice just last month it feels like. For SA I suppose we just want to go through this tour unbeaten to get back on the horse. I did pick up though that if in the likely event of NZ beating Ireland by less than 15 points if we beat Scotland by 15 or more (though Ireland more likely to beat NZ than us beating Scotland by 15+ ?) we go top of the world rankings again since the margin between us are so close even though Ireland is a juicier plum than Scotland WR-wise.

For SA Nkosi will be available on the wing. Not that I think that'll influence other positions. Possibly Frans Steyn to start at 15 with Kriel to move to the bench? Who knows- I certainly don't. For me it is still a no-brainer to have started Gelant at 15 with Fassi at 14 while Kolbe is out. I also have Marx starting as I think he is more impactful in the tight with the more mobile Mbonambi off the bench last 30. I suppose I should just shut up and be happy we actually have had a lock replacement on the bench the last two games out.

Last edited:
It must be the strongest bench in World Rugby?
Screenshot_20211109_223842_com.news24.ui.core_edit_12713034176705.jpg

Finn Russell saying Scotland can achieve top 5 in the world. Realistically if they want that they need to put in a good game here. Quite contrasting styles but I personally can't see the Scots being able to deal with the SA forwards in an arm wrestle so I think their best bet is to try to outscore them rather than to keep them out.

@ChicagoKid Since I won the bet of the previous round, here are your options to change your profile pic for the next week.

1. A pic of Owen "shoulder supercharge" Farrel
image.jpg

2. A pic of Willie le Roux looking like he Is saying "i told you so"
4b521316220260700b54bb22b3e3b988.jpg

3. Or this majestic Springbok
5eb5e22428f9b4b8f90244604d2d497d.jpg

The choice is yours.

Here is my next bet, I Say Cobus Reinach will start ahead of Jantjies vs England. Is anyone brave enough to challenge me on that?

@ChicagoKid Since I won the bet of the previous round, here are your options to change your profile pic for the next week.

1. A pic of Owen "shoulder supercharge" Farrel
image.jpg

2. A pic of Willie le Roux looking like he Is saying "i told you so"
View attachment 12499

3. Or this majestic Springbok
5eb5e22428f9b4b8f90244604d2d497d.jpg

The choice is yours.

Here is my next bet, I Say Cobus Reinach will start ahead of Jantjies vs England. Is anyone brave enough to challenge me on that?
Done. And Corbus definitely starts versus England. This is a very important game for Herschel.

Jaden Hendriske has already gotten a cap and Faf was still performing well before the injury. I could easily envision a Faf/Jaden pairing for RWC2023 unless Herschel makes major strides in the next 5-7 tests.

FD6hJk9X0AYRI_m

Watson on the bench is up there with Manu on the wing IMO.

Especially with SA having Smith in the side. Ritchie, Fagerson and Watson is a really well balance back row why panic?

So Dylan Richardson is still not.capped maybe he performs in Super rugby and the Springboks still have the chance to cap him first if Scotland dont play him.

Screenshot_20211111_201147_edit_91714208741734.jpg

How could a future South Africa squad look like without any players currently slected in the squad for the Autmn internationals? Ignoring players like Fassi and Moerat as they are already with the squad.

15 Gelant \ Richard Kriel
14 Tyrone Green
13 Wandile Simelane \ Stedman Gans
12 Esterhuizen \Rohan Janse van Rensburg \ Johan Serfontein
11Senatla\ Kurt lee Arendse
10 Goosen
9 Jaden Hendrikse
8 Evan Roos \ Buthelezi
7 Dan du Preez \ Nama Xaba
6 Marcel Coetzee\ Jaco Coetzee
5 Jean Luc du Preez \ van dee Mescht
4 Elrich Louw \Ernst van Rhyn
3 Jan hendrik Wessels
2 Johan Grobelaar
1Ntutuko Mchunu

Phew, why looking so far ahead? I doubt there'll more than a literal handful of players coming in prior to 2023 and a lot of the players are young enough still to do duty beyond that.
How could a future South Africa squad look like without any players currently slected in the squad for the Autmn internationals? Ignoring players like Fassi and Moerat as they are already with the squad.

15 Gelant \ Richard Kriel
14 Tyrone Green
13 Wandile Simelane \ Stedman Gans
12 Esterhuizen \Rohan Janse van Rensburg \ Johan Serfontein
11Senatla\ Kurt lee Arendse
10 Goosen
9 Jaden Hendrikse
8 Evan Roos \ Buthelezi
7 Dan du Preez \ Nama Xaba
6 Marcel Coetzee\ Jaco Coetzee
5 Jean Luc du Preez \ van dee Mescht
4 Elrich Louw \Ernst van Rhyn
3 Jan hendrik Wessels
2 Johan Grobelaar
1Ntutuko Mchunu

From reading media reports all week both local and international. It seems the Scots are very confident at securing victory. Maybe this explains the Scottish silence on this thread, maybe silent confidence. The Scots even dropped Hamish Watson for this game even though he got MotM last week and he is not overworked or anything.

I think Townsend and the rest of the Scottish players think that if they play the style they wanted to play on the Lions tour then they will win the game against a Springbok side they think they know how to beat. Finn Russell and to a slightly lesser extent Stuart Hogg is outspoken about this belief of attacking/ expansive rugby would be a better strategy against the Boks.

Am I far off with my judgement of the Scottish camp and their perceived beliefs.

Maybe the Scots are trying to play a strong bench to counter a Bok bench arguably stronger than the starters?

Last edited:
"He passes to the left, he passes to the right, Matt Scott, he shags 10 birds a night" - Drunk Edinburgh fan, Aviva Stadium, HEC Semi final 2012.

He's been a hero of mine ever since!

For a moment I thought you meant the drunk fan has been a hero of yours.

Interesting selection from Toonie. Sam Johnson did nothing wrong last week against Australia and so interested to see how Matt Scott goes at 12. Also keep an eye out for Rufus McLean on the wing. Bit surprised Toonie has thrown him in against the Boks but a really good prospect nonetheless. Nick Haining clearly selected for added beef and a menace factor - there's no way he's getting through this game without getting involved in a scuffle or some kind of controversy.

To a small extent SA 'A' vs SA? Spicy.

Scotland will be up for it though everything considered- beating Aus whereas Aus beat us twice just last month it feels like. For SA I suppose we just want to go through this tour unbeaten to get back on the horse. I did pick up though that if in the likely event of NZ beating Ireland by less than 15 points if we beat Scotland by 15 or more (though Ireland more likely to beat NZ than us beating Scotland by 15+ ?) we go top of the world rankings again since the margin between us are so close even though Ireland is a juicier plum than Scotland WR-wise.

For SA Nkosi will be available on the wing. Not that I think that'll influence other positions. Possibly Frans Steyn to start at 15 with Kriel to move to the bench? Who knows- I certainly don't. For me it is still a no-brainer to have started Gelant at 15 with Fassi at 14 while Kolbe is out. I also have Marx starting as I think he is more impactful in the tight with the more mobile Mbonambi off the bench last 30. I suppose I should just shut up and be happy we actually have had a lock replacement on the bench the last two games out.
Straya played like absolute **** against the Scots and still only lost by 2.

Also SA are full strength. SA will win this easily as long as they don't phone it in

Going to make a bet now, if this game is close or SA lose, expect all social media to be swamped with supposed incorrect decisions and SA to try to continue playing the tiniest of violins.

In other news, this is Scotland's year.

Latest posts