TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_51875197_4530055.jpg

Scott MacLeod will leave Edinburgh in the summer and join Japanese outfit Kobe Steel Kobelco Steelers.

The 32-year-old Scotland lock has opted not to take up the club's offer of a contract extension.

And the former Border Reivers and Scarlets player has made himself unavailable for international duty to focus on his new club challenge.

MacLeod was first capped in 2004 and made his last Scotland appearance in February's Six Nations defeat by Wales.

"I've massive respect for the national team and for [Scotland head coach] Andy Robinson," said MacLeod.

"He's the guy who [as Edinburgh head coach] brought me back up here in 2009, and I thoroughly enjoy playing for him.

"He knows the massive pride I take in representing my country, but I've explained to him that I want to focus my energies on making a success of the move to the Steelers and he understands my position."

Robinson confirmed: "Scott is a talented and committed rugby player who I've enjoyed working with at Edinburgh and with Scotland.

"He's a very honest person, and he's sat down with me to detail his reasons for making himself unavailable for selection. I respect his decision and will be happy to talk to him if that situation changes."

Having made 24 international appearances, MacLeod is now unlikely to be part of Scotland's World Cup squad but said he is looking forward to a new life in Japan.

"It's been a very difficult decision to make, because Edinburgh are close to my heart and I've a lot of affection for the club, but the opportunity to go to Japan is exciting not just for me, but for my family," he added.

"From a lifestyle and learning perspective, this will be great for us all.

"After the recent tragic events in Japan, I've been in regular contact with the Steelers, because clearly I would never do anything to expose my family to risk.

"I have a huge amount of sympathy for those who've suffered terrible losses, but I've been given the appropriate reassurances and as a family we're entirely comfortable about going out there.

"My focus remains on helping Edinburgh finish the Magners League regular season strongly, after which I will be throwing myself into this new challenge."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/edinburgh/9438823.stm

Latest posts