• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scrum Feed

Robert2289

Academy Player
I was wondering if there had been a rule change regarding scrum feed, aren’t they supposed to be straight? Seems to me the ball is fed straight to the team putting in, seems a bit pointless to me … unless the rules have changed why isn’t this being addressed?

Ragey Erasmus

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Bath

I was wondering if there had been a rule change regarding scrum feed, aren’t they supposed to be straight? Seems to me the ball is fed straight to the team putting in, seems a bit pointless to me … unless the rules have changed why isn’t this being addressed?
Originally they said scrum feeds must be straight but then it was determined that was not the politically correct thing to do so they allow all feeds now.

paddybrown

Academy Player
Club or Nation

Ulster

It's been like that for several years now. Officially, the rule says the ball has to be rolled in straight, but the scrum half is allowed to stand towards his own side, so long as one shoulder is at the middle of the tunnel. In practice, they roll the ball in practically straight back to the number 8, and I assume referees are under orders to allow it. Can't remember the last time I saw a scrum won against the head.

Nubiwan

Bench Player
As a former scrum half, I must agree, and add my 2 bits.

Feeding the scrum? Its a joke. Can hookers not hook any more? No need to. Joke!

As is the untouchable scrum half standing in his (I'm about to box kick) pose, at the back of the ruck. I want to see forwards pile through as soon as his hands are on the ball, and work him over for being a ponce, not have him Faff De Klerk it for 10 seconds, with blond curly locks. Then hoof it. It slows the game down. Downright halts it, while the scrum half does his "look at me". Does nothing for the spectacle, and encourages more kicking. Useless and boring part of most games these days.

Which Tyler

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Bath

As a SH, I was just always slightly worried that the props would take the feed a bit too literally, and eat the damned thing.
Always a little relieved when it emerged at the back.

Oh, and completely agree with the above about the protection SHs are afforded.

Latest posts