Scrum law ammendment approved

Cruz_del_Sur

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
CASI
Not sure this is the best of times to start changing the rules.
I am particularly not happy as i have no clue how the enforcement of something like this could go.

https://rugbyreferee.net/2019/07/15/scrum-law-amendment-approved/

PS: While at it, i highly recommend checking out this too (it's in the first link too but this is bigger version). It's a pretty clear decision framework for high tackles (nothing, penalty, YC, RC).

https://rugbyreferee.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/2019-PlayerWelfare-HighTackleDecision_v2_EN.pdf

This change doesn't make much sense to me, on the face of it, for props at least. Can't say I've ever heard of anyone getting hurt from it. They say it increases axial loading (obviously) but I couldn't see anything about increased injury from it in the article? More than anything it just strikes me as slightly impractical, sometimes the different leverages of front rows leads to the head on shoulder at least. Just from my own observance of playing it either happens every scrum or not at all.

Interesting to see how it plays out.

The silliest thing is that in the picture they mention

Both blue and white hookers liable to sanction (FK)
but it doesn't mention who would be penalized in that case. How do you restart from that double infraction?

This was how the scrums were supposed to be anyway. On bind the front rows were supposed to be ear to ear but no contact on shoulder. International teams decided they didn't want the space so they ignored the law. Referees just let them cause why fight teams on something kind of trivial (not like both teams agreed to forward passes). I remember angus telling teams they agreed to space before the match once after both teams preengaged.

This directive is going against the wishes of the teams and is putting the hit back in the scrum. Poor hookers necks.

Latest posts