• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

scrum... the touch

ashman_backrow7

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Munster
lads i was just wondering when ref calls touch is it illegal to have a closed fist?? i always have a closed fist but as i go higher grades i get penalised more for it.. i was told open palm and thats it! but its really hard to break habit sometimes!

also when i was in college our trainer told our loose heads touch the opposite shoulder to take away the opposing tightheads vision... i was also pulled on this a number of times... is it law to have to touch the outside shoulder?

i kno these sound like small things but for sum reason i usually get the upper hand using these techniques and its just habit for me now but i was threatened with sun-bin last day out... opinions please lads :D

Some of the lads on here will give you a more formal answer I am sure. A half decent ref will tend to talk to the front rows or at least the captains before the game regarding his expectations.

My advice speak to the ref before the game or before the first scrum and ask him what he wants or expects then you know and will not get pulled up for it. Getting binned seems a little harsh.

I've used both, and never had a problem. I agree, though...have the conversation with the ref before the match. The official should come to talk to both sides about his expectations and explain his calling cadence, etc...

How would touching the tight head's shoulder take away his vision? It's not like you can leave your hand there until the put in.

It doesn't. I primarily play tighthead. I've never complained about the loosey hitting my shoulder.

Latest posts