Scrum Time Technique Discussion

ORothlain

Official Plastic Paddy
TRF Legend
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
Ulster
I was watching this video this morning and it got me thinking about how many different things I've been told about scrummaging since the first time I stepped onto the rugby pitch.
In this video BJ Botha walks us through Ulster's scrum machine time. Excellent stuff, in my opinion, especially the sink and squeeze in unison.

What other advice, technique or questions do you have about the scrum?

Last edited by a moderator:

The one on one drill from the start is something I made my whole forward pack do almost every training session. If you're coach isn't doing it, I suggest getting with a mate and doing this a few times a week. It really helps with your stabilization.

Here are 2 other worthwhile videos to checkout.

Last edited by a moderator:
What age group do you coach?

the scynisation in the frist vid is so important if you can ge that right you have gone a long way to wining your scrums.

I did coach a university side for 2 years. I ended that role a year ago when my wife and I moved out of state. Presently I don't have adequate time to be involved in rugby aside from showing up to trainng occasionally and the odd B-Side match. I'm hoping this changes soon. It's hard to go from full on involvement with the sport to aalmost zero.

One thing to pick up is the feet position in some of those videos.

If you have your feet level when you engage it makes it very easy for the opposite prop, to 1. get underneath you, 2. have no real control of your body position and 3. it leads to easy collapse of the scrum.

If you are playing at tight head the right foot should be slightly forward of the left before engagement. And vice versa for the loose head. None of the videos really show that.

Nice tips, I'll be going over them in my head before Saturday.

The last mike cron vid in O'Roth post is really good.

As a winger anyway...

robocop-431x300.jpg

All I can think about is scrumming against this robot from Robocop for some reason, LOL!
That scrum machine is feckin' brilliant.

robocop-431x300.jpg

All I can think about is scrumming against this robot from Robocop for some reason, LOL!
That scrum machine is feckin' brilliant.

Is this the start of a Robot XV?

That robot and Optimus prime as props

In all seriousness Johnny Five will be in the mix also!

That machine is pretty awesome mind for scrummaging.

Well, now that we've all seen the absolute best in Scrum Machinage, what's the worst?
My present club built one out of wood and spaced the pads to closely together, I ended up with a massive bruise on my head and splinters in my ear. They've tweeked it and got it fixed now, but it's not the first time I've gone up against some shite equipment...anyone else?

Wooden one ... with the padding ... well having none or little padding left!

At my old club one of the coaches took the back off an old pick up truck, built loops so the props could fit their heads in (padded but not well) and used that.

Bristol-iain, your story reminds me of this: http://scrumbob.com/whatisscrumbob.html
574_DSCF1588.JPG

I've seen a few different companies offer something similar...seems like it'd be fairly easy to make. Not nearly as complicated as the Robo-Scrum 3000X that le French have.

PS. - I love how they've labled the slots, in case the front row has forgotten where they stick their heads...LOL.

Last edited:

Latest posts