• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scrumhalf going to Flyhalf

U

unskilz

Last year I played mostly scrumhalf (wing if any starters were injured) and so far this year I am still at scrumhalf. However, at the last practice my coach told me he wants me to start practicing at flyhalf too (our starting flyhalf is reaching the end of his college career).

What are the main things I should be practicing in my spare time?

When I kick the ball down the field to relieve pressure, how do you kick the ball? At practice I was kicking the pointy end of the ball at about 45 degrees. This made sure the ball got height and air time, but I feel like I am kicking at least 10 meters short.
By the way, at my club we do not do up and unders.. just grubbers, occasional crossfield kicks, and just kicking for touch.

Also, does flyhalf need more or less stamina than scrumhalf? As scrumhalf I was at (nearly) every breakdown, what about at flyhalf?

What muscle groups should I target at the gym?

Basically, any flyhalfs out there that could give me some pointers that might take me a while to realize on my own?

i haven't played scrummy, but ill tell you what ive learned from fly.. first off, the kicks. typically when you kick the ball you want the ball to spiral (someone on here called it a 'screw-kick' once) because you get so much more distance with them, which you will simply have to have someone show you.. whose call is it for no up and unders?? we use them often and quite efficiently at times. definitely should be in your ability..

since you were a scrummy, i assume you are vocal and have a good pass.. if not, work on these things. a lot. the best thing about a good fly-half is their ability to read defenses and find the hole, knowing by a quick glance where the best chance for a breakthrough is, where to put the ball to where support will be had, keeping it inside when you need to, and when to swing it wide.. the best way is experience and just ask the current one, or just someone with an uncanny eye for gaps and play creation, what he saw before he did something really good so you can recognize it also..

oh, and relax.. a nervous fly-half is completely worthless. just slow down if you get all wound up..

hmm.. that was more than expected.. hope this helps, and good luck..

Latest posts