• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scrumhalf/halfback help

michaelmas

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
I posted this in the general because I'm not sure where it belongs. I know there are a lot of threads out there about scrumhalf training. I looked through as many as I could find and everywhere else online but I'm still lost. I played wing for a few years and now I'm a scrumhalf with a new team. This new team has a scrumhalf that is experienced but doesn't offer any advice when I ask him for help. All he can say is "practice" and blows me off. I'm determined to be the best scrumhalf I can be so I won't just stand by and hope I get experience. I need help with the technical aspects of the game. My passing and speed aren't great but I am working on it with the advice of other forum members. I have a weighted ball and kicking bands as well as other training aids.
So to get better mentally I want to know the technical aspects of the position. I looked everywhere online and tried to find the technical side of the position but all I can find are some drills and small bits of advice. I'm in the Eastern US and I can't really find anyone I can train with or any coaches. I'm trying to watch other scrumhalves online but you don't know what's actually going on down on the field or what he's thinking/saying.
I want to get better, I want this very badly and I would really appreciate help. Outside of drills what will make me better? I don't know the position very well so it's hard to come up with specific questions. I'm just so frustrated that rugby isn't bigger in the states and I have so little help available around here.
The only questions I can think of that I can ask is basic positional stuff. I tried a few games and the other scrumhalf was all over me and I just couldn't get to him on our scrums. I don't know how I can even it out.
I heard that scrumhalves need to take control of their forwards and tell them where to go so another question is where do you want them to be?
During rucks and scrums when do you have time to look at the opposing side to see if there are any openings? I found that I was trying to track the ball so much that I never had time to look at the opposing side's positioning.
Are there any books/DVDs out there that will help with the technical side of the position?
I know this is asking a lot and I'm really frustrated with the whole thing but I'm dedicated to being the best I can be. I'm working on the physical aspect I just need the rest. I really appreciate any help I can get or any resources out there.

Talk and dictate your forwards (even the simpel slap on the back after a turnover or a won scrum, they are there to do a job and so you reward them when they do it well in return they wil protect you during the game, sounds stupid but thats just the way it is, they can make sure you get clean easy ball) be loud and instructive but always stay positive. Organise your ruck defence, simple just even things out you have a glance over the ruck and do the maths is there an overlap send some forwards there etc. also sounds stupid but its simple, pull people out off rucks who are overcommiting and send them on there defensive duty. And cover/sweep, after the ball has left the ruck you sweep behind the line of defence and cover for any chipkicks or missed tackles. Sweeping is simple for a scrumhalf altough hard work. You just cover 10m behind the line.

You have time to 'look at your opponents alignment' when you're running to a ruck, just have a quick glance over the ruck, at scrumtime and when you're running after you're pass, you have bags of time. Seeing you dictate the pace of the game ;).

In attack you just make sure you and your forwards (as many as are needed don't overcommit) get to the breakdown as soon as possible, communicate with your flyhalf (very important) and get the ball out there again either too the backs or the forwards. And after you passed it just have a little glance if the opposition gaurds/defenders are in line. If they're slacking you could have a little snipe/run right through the gap you just saw. Even if you don't get through they will look at for you which means they have to commit someone to you, which means the flyhalf gets more time!

If the opposition scrumhalf is giving you a hard time at the scrum you are either not picking the ball up clever or your flanker/nr.8 aren't blocking him or he's offside. Just alert the ref to the fact that he might be offside, by saying 'Isn't he offside ref?!' Picking the ball up right, you just turn your body away from the other SH and pass off your other hand?

Practice your pass, the flyhalf ignites the backline he can't do that with sloppy ball. But most important of all be confident/cocky. Boss your forwards over the pitch. Run, talk, pass.

I really appreciate the advice. I have a lot to work on but it gives me a good place to start from. If anyone else has more advice I'll appreciate that as well. Can't get too much information

JW pretty much nailed some good points.

You need to talk to your flankers and number 8. You must know at every scrum what your eight is going to do on your put it. Is he going to keep the ball in the scrum, or is he going to pick up and go etc. Also chat with your hooker so you both have a firm understanding of how he wants the ball put in at the scrum. While you there speak to your line out jumpers as well, as to how you want the ball. Do you want it tapped down, caught and released etc. Also don't forget to tell your scrum when the ball has gone or been released the front row won't have a clue.

In short the scrum-half is a bloody pain in the arse and should be telling the forwards what he want's. Remember quality ball to you makes things easier for your backs. A good scrum half will also engage with the ref pointing out the problems the other pack are causing if illegal.

Skills you should also practice are, passing off the floor, quick ball, as most of your passes will be from the deck. Another is box kicking from a scrum, ruck or maul.

Search for videos of George Gregan, Matt Dawson, Ben Youngs to see how these guys work. Watch as many world cup games as you can to get the idea too.

Get the ref to clarfiy exactly when the ball is out the scrum, some times he will say the ball is out. Shield the ball with your legs, back and arse. The minute you lay hands on the ball get rid of it quicky to your backs.

Some old srum half tricks would be standing on the other scrumhalf's foot, getting your legs in the way of his, just do not get caught and remember the second he has his hands on that ball, and as long as your on side he is fair game and can be smashed.

Good luck.

Latest posts