• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scrumhalf Wannabe - Weight/Size Issue

Pikachu

Academy Player
Country Flag
Wales
Hello all!

I am looking to join my local rugby team with a few friends come the new season, however, at the moment I am in preparation and am after your wisdom.

I am 22, about 5"6/5"7 im not even sure myself, and weigh 66.5kg on a good day.

My lifts are Squat (5 reps @ 115kg) Bench (75kg @ 5 reps) and Deadlift (5 reps @ 110kg). I've just come off the back off 10 weeks of Stronglifts and feel pretty good strength wise, however, it's my frame im slightly concerned about, I feel like I need to pack on a bit more size as I can't help but search other scrum halves and see that even Tanaka for the Highlanders weighs 70kg.

I have time now to hopefully put on a bit more weight before I get into power/aerobic training prior to the start of the season, but what would you suggest I be doing in order to pack on as much size as I can in the next 6/7/8 weeks or so? Apart from eating alot, what kind of training? Whereas before I've just been doing the main compound lifts at 5 reps.

Thanks for the reading this epic post! It took me a whole day of umm'ing and arr'ing as to whether i'd bother posting it, hopefully it hasn't all be in vain!

Have a magical day! :cool:

Hello all!

I am looking to join my local rugby team with a few friends come the new season, however, at the moment I am in preparation and am after your wisdom.

I am 22, about 5"6/5"7 im not even sure myself, and weigh 66.5kg on a good day.

My lifts are Squat (5 reps @ 115kg) Bench (75kg @ 5 reps) and Deadlift (5 reps @ 110kg). I've just come off the back off 10 weeks of Stronglifts and feel pretty good strength wise, however, it's my frame im slightly concerned about, I feel like I need to pack on a bit more size as I can't help but search other scrum halves and see that even Tanaka for the Highlanders weighs 70kg.

I have time now to hopefully put on a bit more weight before I get into power/aerobic training prior to the start of the season, but what would you suggest I be doing in order to pack on as much size as I can in the next 6/7/8 weeks or so? Apart from eating alot, what kind of training? Whereas before I've just been doing the main compound lifts at 5 reps.

Thanks for the reading this epic post! It took me a whole day of umm'ing and arr'ing as to whether i'd bother posting it, hopefully it hasn't all be in vain!

Have a magical day! :cool:

Of course you're going to be worried if you're comparing yourself to professionals! No doubt you'll be on the small side for most clubs, but unless you feel it's really affecting you whilst you play, just go ahead and play!

I'm pretty much the same size as you, a bit taller at around 5'10 - 5'11, but I bounce between 65 - 75 depending on what I had for breakfast, so I'd say you will be right, seeing as I go fine playing for a team filled with islanders and on tuesday Chris Feauai Sautia from the Reds was training with us in contact drills... so you should be fine.

Latest posts