Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
So I think Dan Carter is typically considered the best first five, but who would you want backing him up?

Let's recreate this old argument...

I tossed up having an 'other' option, but I don't think any other players have legitimate claims to being right up there. McAlister might come close.

Alternatively, you might not think DC is top at all, in which case simply vote for who you think is best!

I tossed up having an 'other' option, but I don't think any other players have legitimate claims to being right up there. McAlister might come close.

Alternatively, you might not think DC is top at all, in which case simply vote for who you think is best!

If Goosen could stay fit for more than five minutes, maybe him. But yeah. Voted Cruden.

I didn't forget him, I honestly didn't think anyone would even consider him.

The Irish may not have posted, but they've been here alright. 3 votes for Johnny Sexton.

I couldn't help but vote For Quade Cooper; he may not be the most rounded 10 but he can be absolutely sublime at times. Oz may fall more often to the Northern Hemipshere sides than South Africa do, but I feel that the only realistic chance of New Zealand losing at the moment is against a fully charged Oz pack directed with Genia and Cooper at their attacking best.

Last edited:
I think Dan Carter is still the premier first five but appears to be on the decline. The ABs don't seem to lose a gear when Cruden starts instead of him and at times brings an attacking flair that Carter is slowly losing.

edit. I picked Cruden.

Toss up between Cruden and Sexton for me. Sexton is probably the better rounded of the two with Cruden having better bottle in the big games. Games like Wales this year, Northampton 2011 and England 2010 and 11 give it to Sexton for me.

Is second best first five another one of those mad New Zealand positions?

Is second best first five another one of those mad New Zealand positions?

Noooooo

Fly-Half = First Five Eight
Inside Centre = Second Five Eight
Outside Centre = Centre

Then "second best first five" means nothing, is just a question like: "Who is the best Fly-Half?"

I prefer Quade Cooper before Dan Carter. Yes, I know Dan is better kicker and is more consistent but I love the mad fly-halves, they are what make the game entertaining. Maybe for my team I prefer Dan but to watch on TV, I prefer a crazy fly-half like QC.

To many he's a villain but he's my personal hero. :cool:

Noooooo

Fly-Half = First Five Eight
Inside Centre = Second Five Eight
Outside Centre = Centre

Then "second best first five" means nothing, is just a question like: "Who is the best Fly-Half?"

You must be great at parties.

I'm all for humility and being objective about our own national players and all that, but not considering FTD here is just silly.
He is like Barrett and Cooper, his goal kicking can go to **** at times. But they make their own chances like no-one else, they receive the ball standing then just start going past people and their running and passing makes them so good, their vision to see what's on and how to execute it is better than everyone else. But FTD is not the best in the world, to be the best in the world you have to be consistent over a long length of time.
Anyway, I voted for Cruden as I think he is the best in the world as he can play anyway you choose kicking or running he is brilliant.

What's this "first five" position the OP speaks off?. And there was me thinking cricket had the monopoly on ridiculous positions..."silly mid off"..."short fine leg"

Sexton is an excellent infield runner, but his kicking is nowhere near O'Gara, both in terms of field placement and goal kicking. When O'Gara was still doing it he was first choice, and even when past his best he was still brought on to shore up the game. Sexton doesn't give that security.

The best #10 for me is Wilkinson, because he's been the only decisive #10 in a RWC winning team. For two years prior to the RWC he got England out of a hole time after time, and then carried that on at the tournament itself. Burnt out completely straight after that, injuries caught up with him. Clive's England were labeled "10 man rugby" as they played to their strengths, incredible scrum and a goal kicking machine. That label is a testament to Wilkinson's brilliance.

I went for Cooper, he was a real joy to watch these last AI. I really like Barrett too, he will be awesome.

Latest posts