• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Second Center] How fast

Aout

Academy Player
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Racing Metro
I've joined a quite good side this year, and we have a very intensive pre-season training. A new coach has been hired and he told us that we will be assigned new positions depending on our skills, our speed, our size, strength, etc...

He didn't gave us his criterias but someone said that in his previous club, second centers have to run the 100m sprint below 12.7sec. So I was wondering how fast can your second centers run 100m ?

I am making the transition to 2nd centre too this year... I am not sure what my sprint times are these days :/

Wow, playing second center is going to be a huge shift.

Yeah haven't played there in a good while , getting my defence right will probably be my biggest issue

Fastest I've done the 100m is 12.97 and I play centre - this was self timed though so could be out either way
It's more about acceleration than top speed though (which is something I need to work on)

Agree about the acceleration part, this is why I don't find these requirements very relevant. It's quite rare that you have to sprint over 80-100m as a center in a game.

Acceleration and the ability to step are much more important for centers. I remember reading about 5 or 6 years ago that BOD was the fasters players in the Ireland squad over 10m but isn't very fastover 100m. David Wallace was second fastest over 10m and second fastest over 100m (Denis Hickie was fastest over 100m). Both BOD and Wallace score loads of tries and make loads of breaks. So I think 10m speed is more important especially against good defenses. For wings the 100m or 60m time would be more important.

Of course there are other important things too like the ability to change direction quickly and step etc. Shane Williams had all that except for size but he has a great try scoring record.

Quick feet and acceleration are far more important to rugby in my opinion ...if you can change direction fast and hit the gas you are bound to make a shed load of breaks

It depends who you're going to be partnered with, as it's always nice IMO to have at least one quick centre.
As people have said, acceleration is more important from a centre. Speed over 30 above speed over 100 any day.
Still, I'd kind of be thinking you want a 13 to be doing 100 in around 12 seconds, because as a 13 you're far more likely to need a proper sprint than at 12.

If you are weak get stronger. If you are strong get weak a good friend of mine (and top S and C coach) once told me. That has served me well over the years.

I think times are totally over-rated - particularly for that distance. It should be over 5 and 10m at the least.

If I was assessing athletes I would look at them PLAYING rather than their 100m times especially at inside centre

Good Luck
John
http://www.fitnesssforrugbyblog.com

Latest posts