• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Second row/ Flanker workout

J

janispodins

Can anyone suggest me some gym workout plans for second row and flanker positions?
What muscle groups should I focus most on ?
I go to the gym on Tuesdays Thursdays Saturdays.

A program i was using for the last couple of months is a modified version of "Stronglifts 5x5"
If you google it, theres a free eBook of it on its website explaining it all,
Basically you start with 0 weight on the bear, and add 2.5kg every time you hit the gym, but its a beginners program aimed at improving strength quickly, so i modded it a bit, like started with weight on the bar and changed some exercises, so mine was:

Workout A
Squats
Bench Press
Powerclean
Reverse Crunches
Pressups

B
Squats
Overhead Press
Deadlift
Pull/Chinups
Prone Plank (or whatever it's called)

It doesn't seem like a lot, but you go three times a week (week 1 is A B A, 2 is B A B etc.), and as you're adding weight each time it does work

Obviously, if you've already got a decent amount of strength, you could find better programs out there, but this covers all the major groups, and as you've got compound exercises in there, everything gets a workout.

Ok I have another question about workout plans.
I go to the gym 3 times a week and each day a do 2 muscle groups
Tuesday- Shoulders and chest
Thursday- arms and back
Saturday- legs
I want to know is this is enough or do I have to do each muscle group twice or more in one week.
i want to gain strength and muscle mass.

Nice workout Olyy. Lots of compound and power movements. The workout I use when flanking is similar, though during the offseason I like a little more variety. I usually use a 2/2 split, doing Push/Pull on Mon/Tues and 80% Push/Pull on Thurs/Fri. Inseason, I'm only lifting twice a week with a balanced approach. They are moderate length intense sessions implementing a variety of techniques from power movements to stability ball and core training. The key is specificity and balance. Focus on exercises that mimic the motions you encounter in a game.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (janispodins @ Nov 29 2009, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ok I have another question about workout plans.
I go to the gym 3 times a week and each day a do 2 muscle groups
Tuesday- Shoulders and chest
Thursday- arms and back
Saturday- legs
I want to know is this is enough or do I have to do each muscle group twice or more in one week.
i want to gain strength and muscle mass.[/b]

Well that will have alot to do with whether you are in season or not. If you're in season, then you should probably really only be lifting weights twice a week, unless you don't have a game that weekend. Every muscle group twice a week is overkill; that will lead to way over training. Main thing though, it all comes down to what part of the season you are in. It's almost futile to try to gain size in season, as you have so little recovery time.
By the way, I am a licensed personal trainer and I was taught by several world class and Olympic-level strength coaches. Don't want to come off as a jackass spouting off online.

I'm now in my off season, it ended just a month ago.
now i have to get ready for the U 18 european championship in april and i want to be in good form.
I want to know if my workout is ok and will it give results ?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (janispodins @ Nov 30 2009, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm now in my off season, it ended just a month ago.
now i have to get ready for the U 18 european championship in april and i want to be in good form.
I want to know if my workout is ok and will it give results ?[/b]

Ok then yes you will want to do more weight work. However I would still say every body part twice a week might be too much, especially for someone your age. And that takes us to a major point, which is something alot of rugby players get caught up in. To be successful in your training, you must not be sucked into trying to get big via what some call a "bodybuilding workout". You need to focus on movements, such as the workouts that Olyy posted. Make sure you are squatting and doing plenty of compound and power movements. I would go into a big spiel about periodization, but I don't have the time lol. If you want to hear about that, PM me lol. I will say though, that for example, take Olyy's workouts and do them on Monday and Tuesday, but replace the squats in workout B with lunges. Then, on Thursday and Friday, do the same workouts, but only use 80% of the weight that you used earlier in the week. This allows your muscle fibers to stay in shape while allowing your nervous system to recover for the next week. And don't forget to keep running and doing sprint work. You gotta be fast in today's game.

Latest posts