• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Selecting players of foreign origin in a win at all cost drive

Where would Australian & New Zealand rugby be without players from Polynesian Island origin?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rinus

Academy Player
I couldn't but wonder where countries such as New Zealand and Australia in particular be without players from polenysian / South Sea Island origin.
Feeling sad for Fidji, who went down to Australia, principally due to the individual brilliance of players of Fidjian origin.
It obviously doesn't end with these countries, with a number of countries relying heavily on foreign based players.

Where would japan be without foreign players? Old news, disproven, move on

Lol the biggest myth in rugby.

The more the All Blacks win the more desperate people become searching for excuses and reasons why.

I think New Zealand has the least foreign-born players of any tier 1 nation team and by some margin too.

The majority of All Blacks are homegrown. They all come through the incredible school's system.

"Foreign Origin" means race. We can all tell what you're saying ********.

Where would the Pacific Islands sides be without selecting players from New Zealand
not in the world cup that's for sure. Literally the majority of the tongan and Samoan squads are kiwi born and raised and only qualify for an island nation via parents or grandparents. In fact there's only one player in the entire tongan squad who was born and raised in tonga AND leanred his trade and made the squad by playing rugby in Tonga.

So yea the creator of this thread is a bit out of touch with reality I'd say. They clearly don't understand the ethnic make up of NZ and why it is the way it is.

I also saw an interesting stat yesterday.... there are something like 60 new zealand born players playing for nations other than NZ in this world cup. That's more than 3 times the next highest, england, who had 18. South Africa were the next highest after that i think, but yea...... shows how much other nations benefit from the NZ player base, and that's of course not even mentioning coaches.

Last edited:
I couldn't but wonder where countries such as New Zealand and Australia in particular be without players from polenysian / South Sea Island origin.
Feeling sad for Fidji, who went down to Australia, principally due to the individual brilliance of players of Fidjian origin.
It obviously doesn't end with these countries, with a number of countries relying heavily on foreign based players.

You mean Samu Kerevi who moved to Australia at 4 years old. Clearly his time in the Fijian Rugby system helped him hone his skills.
It's well known that a lot of Pacific Islander players are born in New Zealand, or their native countries and move to a different country at a young age. Ben Franks was born in Australia does that mean we should sook he plays for the All Blacks?

As far as I know. Its been a few years since I've seen the stats but I doubt they have changed.
There are more Samoans living in NZ than in Samoa. Similar story for Tonga.
NZ is a mix of Maori, European and Pacific island people and culture. The All Blacks represent that mix.
We have what? 3 players in our squad not born in NZ?!
There are over 50 NZ born players at the Rugby world cup playing for other countries.
With that in mind tighter rules around international eligibility would only make NZ stronger overall.
But what you are talking about basically sounds like racial segregation.

There are about 196,000 Samoans in Samoa, there are 20,000 Samoan's in my city in Queensland alone.... There are 115,000 Samoan's in New Zealand....

There are about 196,000 Samoans in Samoa, there are 20,000 Samoan's in my city in Queensland alone.... There are 115,000 Samoan's in New Zealand....

where did those stats come from by the way, was trying to find them myself

edit, apparently the 2013 census has 145,000 samoans in NZ

did I hear someone say England?

Where would England be without resources from other countries...

yes resources = rugby players

sarcasm...

where did those stats come from by the way, was trying to find them myself

edit, apparently the 2013 census has 145,000 samoans in NZ

The census results are all over the place hahaha. I've seen different results all over google.

The census results are all over the place hahaha. I've seen different results all over google.
census results are surely the most reliable source, what other measurements of the type are there, what do you mean all over the place?

census results are surely the most reliable source, what other measurements of the type are there, what do you mean all over the place?

They take place every 5 years but then they only have results for like 2013 but not last years one. And some sites list different results.

This argument comes up over and over again, foreign born doesn't mean foreign and even being born in a country doesn't mean you've grown up there or feel aligned to it in any way.

As long as counties apply the rules people should be annoyed at the rules and not pick on specific countries all the time, unless they have a project players system, in which case be annoyed.

Latest posts