• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Semi Finals

Both should be close, but Eng v Can should be "never in doubt"

NZ v Fr should be fascinating.
NZ are coming into form well, whilst France are still learning to play without Sansus, especially. Hopefully Menager and Trémoulière will be fit again for the SF.

IMO France are the better team, but there's about as much in it as home advantage usually brings; so I just can't pick between them.
I'd say if France get both RM and JT back, I'd have them slight favourites; if neither, then NZ are slight favourites.

Agree with WT , England will be pushed but have a good proper hit out v Fra so take them by 10.
NZ v FR toss of coin could be best game of tournament as whatever the final is no doubt will be a nervy affair.

Going to be interesting, I don't think I've ever thought so much about the weather would be before the game. Looks to be sunny so I'm imagining smooth sailing for England. France should see away New Zealand pretty easily but games aren't played on paper and I think the Kiwis will do something here.

ABT has canucks England
Neville has New Zealand France

After some researching I see England are 23.5 point favorites and France are 6.5. The France line is similar to what I think but for some reason I was thinking experts would see this is a big France win.

I think the bookies, and experts, are favouring France a bit too much right now.
Largely based on NZ's disastrous tour of the NH last year - when they hadn't played any rugby for 2 years previously, and were a bunch of amateurs just doing their bit in the gym.

First 2 matches of the RWC gave doubt for NZ as well, but (for me) those have been put to bed in R3 and QF.
Then you have France's injuries, and it's all levelled off for me.

As for the weather - as mentioned on the QF thread; I don't think it's all that much of a big deal. France can play in light-medium rain perfectly well, but they basically never play in NZ style downpours - unlike NZ. NZ's handling in the wet will be better, as they just have stronger basics there. Whilst France will be stronger in the scrum and maul, and the kicking game - the scrum and kicking isn't as much of a help in the women's game; as they're mostly good for earning penalties, and gaining territory, but the ladies just can't kick the ball as far - hell, we've seen plenty of kicks for touch making 0 metres at all, and even occasionally making negative metres; whilst kicks for goal are about 15m shorter than in the men's game; so you've got to be well inside the opponent's half before it's even worth thinking about.
Rain (if there is any) will play it's part, but it's far from the simplistic "plays right into the hands of the stronger pack" cliche we're all used to.

@Umaga's Witness had a good point on the QF thread, that NZ can be a little bit... lazy... about where they join rucks and mauls; and I don't expect Neville to give them much joy there.
On the refs, I can't quite believe that Cox & Groizeleau are relegated to the touch lines; nor that ABT gets another go after bailing out of a decision for dropping a player on her head.
Neville should be nailed on for the final, with Groizeleau an option if France don't make it; but WR obviously don't care about ABT's cock-up, and see something I'm missing in Groizeleau's performances.

Canada should test England, but it really should be "never in doubt" - England to win by anything from 2 scores to 6 scores seems reasonable.

Last edited:
Canada v England; Eden Park; 3.30am (UK)
Ref:
Aimee Barrett-Theron
TJs: Aurelie Groizeleau & Maggie Cogger-Orr
TMO: Ben Whitehouse

Canada
1 Olivia DeMerchant
2 Emily Tuttosi
3 DaLeaka Menin
4 Courtney Holtkamp
5 McKinley Hunt
6 Fabiola Forteza
7 Karen Paquin
8 Sophie De Goede

9 Justine Pelletier
10 Alex Tessier
11 Paige Farries
12 Sara Kaljuvee
13 Alysha Corrigan
14 Maddy Grant
15 Elissa Alarie

16 Gillian Boag, 17 Brittany Kassil, 18 Alexandria Ellis, 19 Ngalula Fuamba, 20 Tyson Beukeboom
21 Gabrielle Senft, 22 Sara Svoboda, 23 Anais Holly

England
1 Hannah Botterman
2 Amy Cokayne
3 Sarah Bern
4 Zoe Aldcroft
5 Abbie Ward
6 Alex Matthews
7 Marlie Packer
8 Sarah Hunter

9 Leanne Infante
10 Zoe Harrison
11 Claudia Macdonald
12 Tatyana Heard
13 Emily Scarratt
14 Abby Dow
15 Helena Rowland

16 Lark Davies, 17 Vickii Cornborough, 18 Maud Muir, 19 Rosie Galligan, 20 Poppy Cleall
21 Lucy Packer, 22 Holly Aitchison, 23 Ellie Kildunne

New Zealand v France; Eden Park; 6.30am (UK)
Ref:
Joy Neville
TJs: Amber McLachlan & Sara Cox
TMO: Ian Tempest

New Zealand
1 Phillippa Love
2 Georgia Ponsonby
3 Amy Rule
4 Maiakawanakaulani Roos
5 Chelsea Bremner
6 Alana Bremner
7 Sarah Hirini
8 Liana Mikaele-Tu'u

9 Kendra Cocksedge
10 Ruahei Demant
11 Portia Woodman
12 Theresa Fitzpatrick
13 Stacey Fluhler
14 Ruby Tui
15 Renee Holmes

16 Luka Connor, 17 Krystal Murray, 18 Santo Taumata, 19 Joanah Ngan-Woo, 20 Kennedy Simon
21 Ariana Bayler, 22 Hazel Tubic, 23 Ayesha Leti-l'iga

France
1 Annaelle Deshaye
2 Agathe Sochat
3 Clara Joyeux
4 Celine Ferer
5 Madoussou Fall
6 Gaëlle Hermet
7 Charlotte Escudero
8 Romane Menager

9 Pauline Bourdon
10 Caroline Drouin
11 Marine Menager
12 Gabrielle Vernier
13 Maelle Filopon
14 Joanna Grisez
15 Emilie Boulard

16 Celia Domain, 17 Coco Lindelauf, 18 Assia Khalfaoui, 19 Safi N'Diaye, 20 Marjorie Mayans
21 Alexandra Chambon, 22 Lina Queyroi, 23 Chloe Jacquet

Botterman out (knee), Cornborough to start, Brown to bench.
LPacker out (ankle), Kabeya comes in which seems... odd; probably a reaction to Canada's 7:1 bench split (sorry about the team lists above, I don't know the Canadian squads well enough to have noticed).

7 minutes in - I thought Canada were supposed to be able to challenge our forwards / set piece.
It's a scrappy opening couple of minutes; but then we calmed down, got hands on ball, and established some confidence.
Kicking that penalty to the corner from 5 m out, in front of the posts is an unusual decision in the ladies game; but the kick is fine, as is the lineout, and maul straight on over.
Again, I thought they'd provide a bigger challenge to our forwards.

14 minutes - Wow from Rowland, but, Canada... just standing off her. Well finished by Dow.

I'm obviously on my own here, so I'll restrict comments to once per quarter

Last edited:
HT

Canada finding their feet since then, and back into the game.
1 (well worked and taken) try against the run of play and a HUGE celebration, but the confidence has flown in.

As for the battle of the packs - I've seen nothing so far to suggest that Canada can stop us at scrum or maul, or particularly spoil our rucks.
But they're sure providing a threat of their own.

Stadium is virtually empty

57 min

Ref really needed to stop that earlier - passing the ball literally over the top of the injured player who's holding her head - no problem apparently.

But the far side winger getting a little medical attention 70m away? Yeah, we can't allow the lineout until she's ready.

Last edited:
FT

Now that's knock-out rugby.

Well played Canada, sort out some professionalism, and you'll be properly scaring the top teams.

Was a touch closer than I expected, but it never felt that Canada would actually win.

Good match so far. France looking stronger. NZ's chances have come really from being given field position by poor kicking from the French 10.

French kicking really letting them down. NZ got their tails up. France need a big moment.

Good match so far. France looking stronger. NZ's chances have come really from being given field position by poor kicking from the French 10.
TBH as predicted.
Without Sansus and Trémoulière, France just lack those call heads in key decision makers. Not that the replacements are bad in any way, just that bit of control, and that but of genius.

Commentary getting carried away with the NZ hype though.
The way they're talking it's as if NZ we're heavy favourites, and spent the first half 14 points up! "France coming back at NZ" they're 7 points up you idiot. "France have to hope they can keep in touch" again, they're leading the damned thing.

Of course, maybe not leading by the time this post goes through,but 7 up when those things were being said

They went back for that? Potential head kick not reviewed, but let's stop for a bit of obstruction.

Latest posts