• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Serious Shoulder Injuries

aaron1990

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
I haven't played rugby in 3 years now due to some bad shoulder problems. In February 2007 I partially-dislocated my right shoulder playing rugby, went off in that game and was back playing within a couple of weeks and played on the rest of that season without any problems. In June 2007 during college pre-season training, the same shoulder started subluxating (partially dislocating and then going back in itself) and it got worse from there and I stopped the contact training, it got so bad I would just throw a tennis ball and it would come out. Anyway that resulted in me finally having open anterior stabilisation surgery in July 2008, with the plan of getting back into rugby by the end of 2008...how wrong I was!

Before I got back involved with rugby, in late 2008 I started to realise my left shoulder had become a bit loose naturally and I could slightly subluxate it posteriorly (out the back). So therefore I knew something was wrong and didn't have the confidence to return back to rugby, I had several months physio which helped a little but it finally resulted in me having an arthroscopic posterior capsular plication on my left shoulder in March this year.

Both shoulders now feel stable but more physio is to be done. I still get a lot of non-painful twinging in my right shoulder, but I am told that is just all the scar tissue.

I was only 20 in August and don't want to give up rugby just yet, although seeing as the past 3 years have been a write off it has been something I have kind of accepted. I am just wondering if anyone has returned to rugby after injuries like these? The main thing for me if I do get back playing is confidence in my shoulders, something I have lost completely because of the past 3 years!

Latest posts