• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Seven Nations?

D

Disturbed

Hello.

Does anyone know if there is gonna be a 7th Nation coming into the 6 nations. If there is, what teams have the chance to enter it, and when?

Disturbed

I highly doubt it. Not enough space in the already crowded fixture calender to fit another team into the tournament.

Rather than a 7th Nation, I would rather a Lower League system was introduced, so the smaller clubs like Spain, Portugal, Germany etc played in there and maybe the winner of the Wooden spoon in the Six Nations got demoted to that league the next season, with the winner of the other moving to the Proper 6 Nations??

Just a possibility

that could work, but to be honest no team in a lower division would be worthy of replacing wales, england, france, ireland, scotland, or italy.

thats not really the point, it gives the teams in the lower division games against other opponents where i think they would learn from them. Doesnt matter which team came last into the lower division every team in the lower division would learn from playing them, not just by watching them. And the team going up would have a bigger advantage when they go down to the lower division again. It might be the same two teams moving in the first few years but i am sure it would spread itself out over time.

i think it would be a good idea.

but teams like georgia, portugal, and germany certainly cant hold the big 6's jock straps, plus so much money would be lost for the nation which dropped to obscurity that you'd be f***ing the thriving nations (such as italy) and doing very little for the small nations.

it would depend on how much the IRB push into it, i am sure they could afford to give the nations a decent amount of money, somehow they have to raise the exposure of the sport in the country, what better way to play decent teams and showing the young ones they have something to aspire to.

teams like portugal etc dont have the money or the exposure, but if there was a teir 2 or lower division it would help out, maybe playing the torny in the biggest city over a few weeks might help. but remember there isnt going to be a quick fix. no matter what we think of.

I've never heard that a 7th nation joining the 6 Nations is officialy under consideration but that would be interesting to see a new team there. What did people think when the Italians joined? They've received thrashings from the bigger teams back then but now they're becoming more like a big challenge to take care of now. So why not the IRB add another team I must say.

Rather than a 7th Nation, I would rather a Lower League system was introduced, so the smaller clubs like Spain, Portugal, Germany etc played in there and maybe the winner of the Wooden spoon in the Six Nations got demoted to that league the next season, with the winner of the other moving to the Proper 6 Nations??

Just a possibility
[/b]

This lower league you mention already exists actually and is commonly called the 6NB, Portugal, Romania, Russai, Georgia, Spain and the Czech Repubic are in it. There's a promotion/relegation system with another league which could be seen as a third division where you can find Germany, Netherland, Sweden, Poland, etc. These competitions are organized by the FIRA-AER.

The idea of relegation from 6N to RNB has be envisioned but it was felt that this could be the kiss of death for a Union such as the Scottish one which may be relegated and not able anymore due to very poor finance shape at the moment to come back. So in order to secure Scotish Rugby future and the continuous strenghtening of the Italian Rugby it is better to not have this relegation system yet. The IRB and the FIRA should focus on strengthening the Unions involved in the 6NB. In the Long Term Romania or Portugal can be strong enough to become the 7th Nation or mybe this will require a reorganization of the top level tunaments in Europe.

that could work, but to be honest no team in a lower division would be worthy of replacing wales, england, france, ireland, scotland, or italy.
[/b]

Then have a play-off at the 6 nations nation's homeground...it'd stack the odds in favour of the bigger nation but it'd allow something to aim at. If the smaller nation pulled it off it'd be a huge boost for that country's rugby scene even if it meant a 5 match drubbing session then a return fixture against the previous relegatee.

What is the freakin' obsession with the relegation structure? It makes no sense, especially in a competition like the 6 Nations.
Let's be honest a tier two 6 Nations tourney would take 20+ years to catch up to the level that the actual 6 nations are at now...those countries just don't have the national interest. Will tournaments like a Tier Two 6 Nations help? Yes, but it still takes a long time to gain exposure and then begin to develop talent.

What is the freakin' obsession with the relegation structure? It makes no sense, especially in a competition like the 6 Nations.
Let's be honest a tier two 6 Nations tourney would take 20+ years to catch up to the level that the actual 6 nations are at now...those countries just don't have the national interest. Will tournaments like a Tier Two 6 Nations help? Yes, but it still takes a long time to gain exposure and then begin to develop talent.
[/b]

You could have said that about Italy before they were given their chance.

Closed shops aren't meritocracies and meritocracies are the essense of sport.

I do understand that bit...but I don't believe in having a two level 6 Nations Competition with echoings of the GP and Nat. Div. 1. I just don't think that will be productive...imagine if Wales or someone besides Italy finishes bottom in the 6N? I don't see how it would be productive for Welsh Rugby?

there was talk of argentina joining the six nations. they could be based in spain/portugal (fledgeling but growing markets) as the nearly all their top players are europe based.

as they have consistently proved themselves in recent years it is a crime they have not been included in a major tournament. sanzar seem to have no interest in them competeing in the tri (or four) nations, so europe is really the only option.

it would be very sad if they were aloud to weaken as an international side. if anything the irb should be making a special effort to help out teams like the argentines and samoa who have been a threat to the larger nations in recent years.

ideally id like to see the argentines and the pacific islanders added to the tri nations. okay so they might well get a few floggings but i think it would add interest to the comp which is getting a little stale in my view. who knows the way the argies are playing this year they might even have given the aussies a fright!

there was talk of argentina joining the six nations. they could be based in spain/portugal (fledgeling but growing markets) as the nearly all their top players are europe based.

as they have consistently proved themselves in recent years it is a crime they have not been included in a major tournament. sanzar seem to have no interest in them competeing in the tri (or four) nations, so europe is really the only option.

it would be very sad if they were aloud to weaken as an international side. if anything the irb should be making a special effort to help out teams like the argentines and samoa who have been a threat to the larger nations in recent years.

ideally id like to see the argentines and the pacific islanders added to the tri nations. okay so they might well get a few floggings but i think it would add interest to the comp which is getting a little stale in my view. who knows the way the argies are playing this year they might even have given the aussies a fright!
[/b]
I thought they were joining the Tri-Nations?

[/b]

Pumas can`t join the 3N because of the sponsors and TV contracts, until 2011. It`s a shame: I would rather see Argentina competing against Southern Hemisphere teams than in an odd 7 Nations .

For the ones who say that lower european Nations can`t compete against the 6 nations; i think they are wrong , especially after watching recent Scotland games. or Wales going down 45.27 to Argentina. In fact this would be the final table in an hipothetic 7 Nations:

1 France
2 Ireland
3 Argentina
4 and 5 England and Italy tied
6 wales
7 Scotland

I just don't think that will be productive...imagine if Wales or someone besides Italy finishes bottom in the 6N? I don't see how it would be productive for Welsh Rugby?
[/b]

Well if a nation is bad enough to earn a wooden spoon and then lose a play-off on home soil against a second tier team they'd probably not be in a position to complain.

<div class='quotemain'>
I just don't think that will be productive...imagine if Wales or someone besides Italy finishes bottom in the 6N? I don't see how it would be productive for Welsh Rugby?
[/b]

Well if a nation is bad enough to earn a wooden spoon and then lose a play-off on home soil against a second tier team they'd probably not be in a position to complain.
[/b][/quote]

AGREE 100%. Besides it would be aa great boost for 2nd tier Nations, i mean to compete for the glory of being in the older international tournament in the world.

Argentina? They're from South America, 6N is a European Championship ;| Even tho they would be based in Portugal/Spain, they're still a South American team.

My dad talked to an old Saracens player, he said that Bulgaria or Poland have the chance to join the 6 nations after the 2011 World Cup.

Latest posts