• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sexton or Keatley?

J

Jockstap

I've been out of Ireland for the last 18 months but I still try to follow whats going on at home(rugbywise) as much as I can, so I've seen Sexton in the HC matches here in NZ, but I'm hearing loads of talk(especially from Connacht fans) that Keatley is the second coming. Sexton looks like a good solid controlling 10, basically he's an O'Gara who can tackle and runs a bit more with good hands. No surprise there considering he's said he has modelled his game on O'Gara's. I know absolutely nada about Keatley except he has a hilarious kicking style(see link below).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ8EnfxInnE

What type of 10 is Keatley, I heard he used to play sevens(could be wrong), from what you've seen who do you think will make the top spot?

Keatley is full of potential but hasnt delivered much with Connacht so far. Hasnt had a chance mind you. Humphreys in Ulster is another being talked up.

The difference is that Sexton played a huge role in winning both the HEC semi and final. He came on as a sub in the biggest club game the world has seen and it didnt phase him one iota. Played the final and was happy enough to drop a goal from half way. He's not perfect but he didnt fold in the big game and seemed to up his game.

He can have off days of course and his goal kicking isnt the most reliable, but hes well clear of the other two. The more appropriate question would be whether it should be O'Gara or Sexton.

Sexton has the coolest head in the world. Very solid and will let the men outside him do their thing. A much more rounded player than O'gara although his kicking game isn't in the same league yet.

Sexton has proved himself in the biggest games you can play in NH club Rugby so is rightly ahead of Keatley at the moment, but Keatley has been playing for Connacht, so expecting anything more than glimpses of what he could do in a good team is very unrealistic, look at what Warwick has done since leaving Connacht for Munster.

I think Keatley is getting slightly under-rated in this thread. I'm not saying his ahead of Sexton or anything (because I'd be loooking to start Sexton in the 6N this year if I were Kidney), but Keatley I think was Connacht's best player in the season just finished (along with Murphy and Cronin).

His kicking is decent but not as accurate as it needs to be yet but he's rather like Hook in that he has brilliant hands and seems to float when he runs. It's probably the 7s thing (and Hook did 7s too [I think??]), where he's confident with running.

I think we're in for an exciting battle at outhalf in the next few years.

p.s I don't consider Humphreys an option worth considering at the moment, his defence is worse than O'Gara''s from what I've seen.
And Niall O'Conner is just rubbish at the moment.

Not intentionally underrated, but not worth mentioning as a test starter for a while yet.

A move would be required or a revolution in Connacht.

If it's just on personal opinion, I've been impressed with Sexton. He seems like the obvious next number 10 in Ireland. Having said that, I rarely get to see a Connacht match. I actually would like to see more, I feel not only does Keatly probably get overlooked, but the whole of that province, much to their diservice.

No money, no investment, lack of talent and sod all interest in the area (except when you threaten to take them away).

That and the fact that they have finished bottom of the magners league year after year.

At present, Sexton is ahead of Keatley but both are very talented players.

Sexton in particular has a well rounded game. As a schoolboy he was an exceptional tactical kicker but relied too much on his boot. Learning behind David Holwell taught him how to control a game, Felipe Contepomi taught him how to play off the cuff, David Knox helped him develop as a passer (and probably contributed to his petulant streak) while Alan Gaffney brought it all together. His development is a result of 5 years high quality coaching.

Keatley seems a more naturally gifted player but he's very raw. His time playing 7s and his shift to inside centre for a year have contributed to his awareness on the field. Regular gametime with Connacht will help him but I don't think he's well coached there. In my opinion he needs to move next summer to realise his potential. A move to Munster backing up Ronan O'Gara for a year while being surrounded by talented players and receiving excellent coaching from Tony McGahan could propel him to international contention (in a full strength squad) down the road.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Jul 30 2009, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sexton in particular has a well rounded game. As a schoolboy he was an exceptional tactical kicker but relied too much on his boot. Learning behind David Holwell taught him how to control a game, Felipe Contepomi taught him how to play off the cuff, David Knox helped him develop as a passer (and probably contributed to his petulant streak) while Alan Gaffney brought it all together. His development is a result of 5 years high quality coaching.[/b]

Well now you've gone and f***ed it up. Hes bound to be shite next year after you said all that!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Jul 30 2009, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Jul 30 2009, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sexton in particular has a well rounded game. As a schoolboy he was an exceptional tactical kicker but relied too much on his boot. Learning behind David Holwell taught him how to control a game, Felipe Contepomi taught him how to play off the cuff, David Knox helped him develop as a passer (and probably contributed to his petulant streak) while Alan Gaffney brought it all together. His development is a result of 5 years high quality coaching.[/b]

Well now you've gone and f***ed it up. Hes bound to be shite next year after you said all that!
[/b][/quote]
It's all right, Isa Nacewa can play 10 and save us!

My only concern with Sexton is his consistency. He's currently on a hot streak but before Christmas he was out of sorts for the most part. Perhaps the vote of confidence he'll receive by being the number one choice at outhalf will boost his confidence and help him perform at a consistently high level.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jul 30 2009, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sexton has the coolest head in the world.[/b]
No he doesn't! Fired up f***er. He needs a bit more time behind ROG at international level. Will be interesting to see how Declan Yoda deals with him in the autumn.

Keatley could disappear as quick as he appeared. Dunno.

Coolest. head. ever.

Don't bring the Mafi kick up because if you do I'll just bring up the one in Croker :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Feicarsinn does not condone kicking, gouging or foul play of any sort.[/b]