• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SHANE WILLIAMS IS 'A RUGBY FREAK'

G

Gavin

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/displayN...tentPK=20876493

John Smit has hailed Shane Williams as a "freak" of World Rugby. This term was last given to Jonah Lomu, by Will Carling, after the 1995 World Cup Semi-Final.

Does anyone agree that Shane deserves to be called a "freak" of World Rugby? In my opinion he is the best winger in the world at the moment but he is not a "freak" of World Rugby.

I think he is a "freak" of rugby, how many other 5 foot 7 inch 170 pound wingers do we see running around making larger and faster guys look like fools?

It's not always about being a huge-hulking-physical-monster-athlete to be a freak but rather what you can do given what youve got.

As soon as the guy gets the ball you cant take your eyes off him as he dodges tackles, anytime he gets that ball he can make something happen its just incredible to watch.

yeah, he's a lot stronger than he looks, and is incredably strong for his size. A few times in both tests, as well as a lot of his games recently, whenever someone does catch him, he has a habit of getting straight back up and wriggling forward another few meteres. Great player, really nice bloke too. Hope he doesn't get injured before the Lions Tour, he'll be a superb asset in SA next year!

harp_1_lg.gif

pray.jpg

yeah if you don't like Shane, then what's the point of you even reading it, let alone posting random pics? what's the harp got to do with anything?

I see it hurts you, Darkmanx, to see a NH player run rings around a whole SH team?

I like Shane Williams I really do he's my favorite player ever since Jerry Collins retired.

Hmm, scraping the barrel again, the journalist is twisting Smit's words a bit there. He's not saying Williams is THE freak of world rugby, he said he's a freak. He's called Spies a freak before too.

Jean De Villiers, best player in the world on CURRENT FORM!!!1!1!

Saying De Villiers is the best rugby player is like saying Shane Williams is the best rugby player.

<div class='quotemain'>
Jean De Villiers, best player in the world on CURRENT FORM!!!1!1!
[/b]

Never have truer words been spoken. B)
[/b][/quote]

How about we put Williams, de Villiers and Smith in our world backline and nip this in the bud..

Saying De Villiers is the best rugby player is like saying Shane Williams is the best rugby player.
[/b]
They're both the best though. :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn:

:lol:

Freak is a bit harsh, unqiue definately. When defences rule its nice to see someone with imagination and flair to do the unexpected. Imagine Shane on 1 wing and Jason Robinson at his peak on the other what a Lions attacking force that would be. :bana:

lol this thread has turned to ****...

it doesn't surprise me that a wellingtonian claims that conrad smith is the best player, and 2 south africans say that jean devilliers is the best player

i could fuel the fire and say matt giteau is the best player in the world EVAR!!!!!111

but i wont, they are all pretty good, including shane williams

who the best is, will always be debatable

Shane isn't even a blip on Jonah's talent radar screen. If the term freak has only been given out to Lomu, then no way does a player like Williams deserve it too.

We have two wingers in NZ that have 100% try scoring ratios and you Welsh rave on about his what... 35 from 60? Come on now, he's quick and scores some great tries but every decent winger does that.

I do rate him in the top 10 wingers in the world though, if that's any consolation to you.

Lomu did things that no other player before him or since has ever done which makes him freakish.

Shane Williams...well Jason Robinson was there before him doing his stuff and more. There was also Brendon Paulse before him, Tony Underwood, etc etc. Robinson wins the battle of the small wingers quite easily. When you put these small wingers up against big wingers like Lomu, Vidiri, Sivivatu, Rokocoko, Tuqiri etc.....the winner is the big wingers all the time.

Lomu pushes Underwood around like a little kid 1995.

Cullen gases Paulse 1998

Howlett burns Robinson 2002

Tuqiri jumps all over Robinson 2003

Sivivatu is too fast and too agile for Williams 2005

Therefore Williams is a fantastic winger but he is one of many small wingers and Robinson is the winner of his class which struggles against the bigger wingers. The wingers that dominate are big wingers and the greatest of them all was Lomu who was faster than the fastest small winger, had a bigger sidestep, better fend, stronger barge, etc. Lomu is the only one who could be called a freak as he was more powerful than the top forwards, faster than the top wingers, better stepping than the best centres.

Therefore let this matter rest...Shane Williams is only a Rugby Freak on EA Rugby 2006!

Cullen gases Paulse 1998
[/b]

Paulse kicks on a loose ball after an AB fumble, toes ahead again! certain try, Wait Cullen from the OTher side of the field mows him down and beats him to the ball... 2000

Anyways

Williams has been in pretty good form lately, especially when you look at the wingers he was against the past two weeks. Hes so nippy and agile!

Latest posts