• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Shanklin, Brew, Stoddart, M Jones, Hibbard, Lydiate, Cooper

DuncTheDoodle

First XV
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Ospreys
All 'Probaly' out for the rest of the season, and will all 'Proberly' miss Wales' summer tour to New Zealand, although one of these isn't that big a loss. (I'll leave you to guess who.)

Cooper, Shanks and the Scarlets pair are all definatly out of the tour.

But with Halfpenny and James also going to miss the tour (Well, James is presumably after his stupid actions) who will be at 14? (Byrne and Shane as the rest of the back three) The realistic options are:

Shane is 11 in all of these

-15: Hook, 14: Byrne
-15: Byrne, 14: Prydie
-15: Byrne, 14: Harries (A bit of a wildcard, but...)
-15: Byrne, 14: Fussell
-15: Tovey, 14: Byrne
-15: Evans, 14: Byrne
-Or Roberts/Byrne, either way around

I don't really want to move Byrne out to the wing, so I'd personally put Harries in, even though he's hardly played for the Dragons until recently. Gatland is apparently looknig at Fenby from the Scarelts as well, but I can't see that...

If the alternatives are dropping out all over the place, why not stick with Prydie?
He played decently, didn't do anything to deserve being dropped, and has the bonus that he's not going to get injured in club games like the rest of them :D

Byrne - Prydie is most likely/probably the best of that lot (imo)

I see Tovey going, Pyride, Phillips, Williams, James and Fussell

Tom James still despite his walk-out?

I would bring Tovey, but as the second-choice 10. Biggar can stay and come back down to Earth. He's massivly over-confident.

I'd give Lydiate's back-row spot to Bearman, as he's due back in the Dragons' next game. Hibbard -For some reaosn- isn't getting into the Wales team anyway, even though he should be. Shanklin's bench spot can now belong to Jon Davies, Ashley Smith would be my next-choice centre, but I wouldn't pick him anyway.

Last edited:
There's Kristian Phillips too, I mean Gatland obviously thinks highly of him to call him up to the Welsh 6N Squad, and on the form he's in atm he could really do some damage, especially in a a back 3 with Shane and Byrne! I'm really hoping Brew makes it through, he's been fantastic for the Dragons and has really been knocking on the door of the Wales squad for a long long time - no idea why Gatland is ignoring him!

Ye hopefully Brew will be fit, he is only 23 which took me by surprise and has a good season.

Brew is only 23! Seems to have been around for ages...

I'd personally go with a back three of Shane, Byrne, Prydie/Phillips.

Phillips is still probably a better player that Prydie in my book. He's really developed this season and become a true leader in the under 20's side. He's probably the quickest available winger (Prydie still doesn't look as quick as they siggested), and has been solid defensively and under the high ball in all games I've seen him play. He proably missed out against Italy because of his bareavement, but he should get a shot in the summer. Big ask for both against NZ though!

I personally wouldn't touch Fenby with a barge pole! He's basically another Tom James, but with zero defending ability. The amount of times he's been caut defending too narrowly for the Scarlets is rediculous!

His brother, Nathan Brew, is 27 and has 2 caps for Wales and currently plays in the Premiership for Swansea. Aled is 23 and has 3 caps.

And Philips, defensivly solid? Under the highball, yes, but he steps out of the way if a forward runs at him! I agree about Fenby, though. He's got a nice fend, but that's about it.

His brother, Nathan Brew, is 27 and has 2 caps for Wales and currently plays in the Premiership for Swansea. Aled is 23 and has 3 caps.

And Philips, defensivly solid? Under the highball, yes, but he steps out of the way if a forward runs at him! I agree about Fenby, though. He's got a nice fend, but that's about it.

Nathan Brew is Neath and not Swansea.

But as dull said Aled seems to be around for years, and is worthy of a shot at the Welsh wing spot.

Another kingly spirit martyred,
Another regent of our dreams.
He passed, and left to Freedom mourning,
His laurels to Eternity.

Latest posts