Sharks interested in signing Ma'a Nonu

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
The Sharks have joined the growing list of Super Rugby teams interested in signing former Hurricanes star Ma'a Nonu.<article>Nonu was told that he would not be needed by the Hurricanes for the 2012 Super Rugby season and has been told to look for another team to play for.
The Chiefs, Highlanders and Blues have also expressed an interest in signing the All Black second five-eighth who was effectively sacked by Hurricanes coach Mark Hammett a couple of weeks ago.

Sharks coach John Plumtree knows Nonu well from his time with the Wellington Lions and said that they would be be interested in getting the powerful midfielder to Durban, South Africa.
"He would fit right into my group very nicely," Plumtree told Radio Sport.
"I'm sure everyone wants him."
"We haven't had a discussion about it yet but who knows, maybe I will catch up with him while I'm in New Zealand."
Hammett's decision to restructure the Hurricane's playing stocks has left the futures of Hosea Gear, Cory Jane, Aaron Cruden and Piri Weepu all up in the air.
Weepu said after the Hurricanes lost to the Crusaders 16-9 that he would make no decision on his playing future until he had a chance to talk to his parents.
"I've been trying to talk to my mum and dad these last two weeks after what's happened and see what their thoughts are," he said.
"I got a bit of growling from my mother because they've been waiting for me to talk to them.
"I've actually been waiting for them to give me the time to talk to them. Hopefully after the weekend I can sit down with my parents and have a decent talk."
Weepu stressed that he would not be basing his decision on whether or not he was selected for the All Blacks.

"This is a business and you've got to put No.1 first. If I get the opportunity to play for the All Blacks it's a huge honour again."
"Every time you get selected and run out on the field it's always an honour and a privilege," he told Sportal.
"But it's never going to be a huge factor in me making my decision to stay. Some of the boys are waiting."
"If they don't get the opportunity they are on the plane and off."

Source: superxv.com

Well, this is interesting!!!
</article>

Attachments

• Ma_a_Nonu5.jpg
    Ma_a_Nonu5.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 6
Not sure if there is a limit. I just know that the national teams have a rule that players playing in their own domestic league, get preference over players who are showing their skills abroad.

Ma'a should go. I think he'd be the first elite tri-nations international to play for another tri-nations province teams, if you know what Im sayin.

Well, Andre Pretorius was contracted by Western Force in 2009, but missed the entire season due to injury.

Well, Andre Pretorius was contracted by Western Force in 2009, but missed the entire season due to injury.

I never knew you considered him an 'elite" player :p

I doubt Nonu would come here, what would the point be? He wouldn't earn a lot more than he would in NZ, and if he stays in NZ he will remain in the frame for AB selection.
Saying that I would jump over the moon if he came here, style of play that could work nicely with the Sharks backs.

Yes wonder if he would consider it as it might affect his AB selection

Last edited:
Ma'a should go. I think he'd be the first elite tri-nations international to play for another tri-nations province teams, if you know what Im sayin.

Tony Brown, Carlos Spencer, Daniel Braid

He should stay in NZ, proven everybody wrong, winning the Super ***le next year

I reckon he will go to the Blues or the Chiefs. I doubt he will go overseas as he has a lot of family in New Zealand plus that would mean giving up on the All Blacks. Blues have the money plus the need for a centre once Jared Payne and Luke Mcalister go overseas.

Any team should sign him. He is a true asset for any team in the world.

I doubt Nonu would come here, what would the point be? He wouldn't earn a lot more than he would in NZ, and if he stays in NZ he will remain in the frame for AB selection. Saying that I would jump over the moon if he came here, style of play that could work nicely with the Sharks backs.

I agree, I can't see him moving to South Africa for that reason. If he is looking for somewhere to go we would be more than happy to have him (and Hore, Gear, and Jane) at the Highlanders!

I reckon the Force should put up their hand. They have the scratch after losing JOC

It's a shame we don't have the whole trade/draft system they have with the NHL for instance. How cool would that be? It's impossible to do so of course, since the franchises are build on provincial sides.

Latest posts