• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sharks sign JL Potgieter

User1245

Academy Player
Club or Nation
South Africa
deb9539a4f8945578b339fc405c3281a.jpg

There may be more than a touch of irony in the decision, but the Sharks have made another major signing when they snapped up the signature of Bulls fly-half Jacques-Louis Potgieter for the 2011 season.

Potgieter, who last year kicked a last-gasp drop goal to put them out of the Currie Cup while at Free State, will also ironically start the game against the Durban team this weekend when the Blue Bulls head for their Currie Cup league fixture at the Absa Stadium.

The blonde fly-half moved to the Bulls at the start of the season from the Cheetahs and played a good supporting role in the team’s Vodacom Super 14 victory, alternating between flyhalf and inside centre.

But with one eye on next year’s World Cup, it is understandable why he will want to move, especially with the Sharks unable to settle on a first-choice fly-half and Springbok Ruan Pienaar heading to Ulster after the Tri Nations.

Sharks Director of coaching Rudolf Straeuli confirmed to Supersport.com that Potgieter had signed for the Union.

“Yes we have a contract with him,†Straeuli told Supersport.com.

Potgieter is keen to try and claim a place as the second choice fly-half behind Morné Steyn at next year’s World Cup in New Zealand and the best way to do that would be to get as much game time as possible.

The story, which first appeared in the Pretoria News over the weekend, was also confirmed by the Bulls themselves, who said they were sad to see Potgieter go.

The blonde fly-half declined an interview over his move, saying he wanted to concentrate on Saturday’s game and didn’t want his decision to distract his team-mates in the defence of their Currie Cup ***le.
Source

I've always rated him, especially when he was at the Cheetahs. I've always felt we needed that extra kicking option at 12, something the Sharks have NEVER had. Very happy with the signing.

Very good news, btw do you know how long the contract is?
If it is shorter than two years, I think I actually might complain, seriously.
Its all good and well signing these talented players, but honestly, as soon as the fly/srum half start to gel, the season ends.
Hopefully Im wrong

So who would theSharks supporters want as flyhalf? Or even fullback for that matter?

At 10 you have 1 Butch James, 2 Steve Meyer and now 3 JL Potgieter. Lambie could also be considered I guess.

At 15 you're options are 1 Stefan Terblanche, 2 Pat Lambie and 3 Loui Ludik. Three very talented 15s.

Yet having lost Brad Barritt and Fran Steyn and even Murray and Adi Jacobs to injury the centres are looking very thin. Guess Lambie and Terblanche are going well at 12 and 13 but seriously.. my paranoid Saffa mind is starting to think John Plumtree is intentionally messing our most talented backline players about to frustrate them into leaving for Northern shores. Steyn, Pienaar, next will be Lambie. Barritt, though him leaving I can understand. Those sly kiwis. Guess they've spent too much time trying to be Australians.

Butch James? Is he coming back? overrated violent piece of ****.
Steve Meyer and JL Potgieter are both equally good when it comes to the NR. 10 position.

At 15 I prefer Terblanche who, in my opinion, still is Springbok material despite his age. He would do a lot better than Zane Kirchner. Patrick Lambie is a player who I would love to see as a full back in which case Terblanche can move to the 13 position.

Latest posts