• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sharks v Brumbies

F

Fushitsusha

Well, I'm going to kick this thread off by writing from a Brumbies' point of view...

Unfortunately last week the Brumbies got off to an absolutely woeful start to their South African trip by losing to the 12th placed Lions...

The Brumbies would be absolutely guttered by this loss as their backline had only just begun to click after some fairly average performances in the first few rounds...

They created so many opportunities for themselves against the Lions but continually turned over the ball after they'd get within striking distance...

A win last week would've put them into 5th place on the ladder which would've been excellent considering they've already had the bye (unlike many teams sitting near the top)... now they sit down in 9th place and it puts a lot of pressure on them heading into a match with one of the favourites for the competition... a loss here would probably end any finals hopes...

What's not going to help is that Mortlock is under an injury cloud and not only would he be missed for the dynamic player he is... but the Brumbies would be forced to realign the entire backline to either make way for Fairbanks or Mafi's debut for the season...

A glimmer of hope resides in the fact that the Brumbies have not lost to the Sharks since 2005... in 2007 they bounced back after a dreadful flogging from the Cheetahs(!) and upset the then undefeated Sharks at home... and in both previous matches George Smith has nearly single handedly annhilated the Sharks' breakdown...

I'm a bit concerned by some of the changes made for the Brumbies XV and hope it's not panicking by Friend and co. after that dreadful loss... players who have done little wrong such as Fainifo and Kimlin have been replaced by Chapman (who will be making his first start to the year after shoulder injury) and Rathbone (who has been underwhelming all year)... hopefully Chapman will boost their lineout as the Brumbies' haven't had a height advantage over their competition this year (despite having Timani on the bench) and it's a shame considering Moore's pinpoint throwing...

Hopefully the Brumbies can pull off the upset... they've got the players to do it but it's going to be a tough ask...

Brumbies team to play the Sharks:

1. Ben Alexander
2. Stephen Moore
3. Guy Shepherdson
4. Ben Hand
5. Mark Chisholm
6. Mitchell Chapman
7. George Smith ©
8. Julian Salvi
9. Joshua Holmes
10. Christian Lealiifano
11. Clyde Rathbone
12. Tyrone Smith
13. Stirling Mortlock
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper
15. Mark Gerrard

Reserves
16. Huia Edmonds
17. Salesi Ma’afu
18. Shawn Mackay
19. Peter Kimlin
20. Patrick Phibbs
21. Gene Fairbanks
22. Alfi Mafi
23. Matt Toomua
(one to be omitted)

If the Brumbies win this I'll be returning home at 4am to have the best sleep ever...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
If the Brumbies win this I'll be returning home at 4am to have the best sleep ever...[/b]
Only to find out that your bed has been replaced with David Koch from Sunrise, that will teach you a lesson.

In all seriousness though, the Brumbies lost a game against a team not in the top... uh... 10 who cares? teams have their good days and their bad days, the Brumbies will return to form, they just need to stop letting injuries dictate they way they play the game.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woldog @ Mar 26 2009, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
In all seriousness though, the Brumbies lost a game against a team not in the top... uh... 10 who cares? teams have their good days and their bad days, the Brumbies will return to form, they just need to stop letting injuries dictate they way they play the game.[/b]

They've actually had it pretty good this year so far considering their last 4 seasons have been plagued with injuries... they just need to start scoring some points...

The competition is so tight at the moment that they could've been 5th with a win last week... now they're 9th! But not only do they need to win they need to get some bonus points... they've only got 1 from that first round game against the Highlanders...

There's very little separating the top 7 teams at the moment... many of which have yet to have the bye... for instance, if the Tahs don't start winning again they're going to have a huge drop on the ladder...

Well... Mortlock has been ruled out...

Fairbanks comes into inside centre and pushes Tyrone Smith out to outside centre...

I might have thought they would've shifted Ashley-Cooper to outside centre and brought in Alfi Mafi to the wing... apparently he's been awesome for the Brumby Runners...

I'm a bit worried about so much change in the backline... hopefully it works out...

I agree. The Sharks are going to run away with this one. Kankowski to score some long range stunners!

Ja the Sharks should have too much quality for the Brumbies now. HOWEVER Steyn is playing 10 while Swanepoel retains the 12 jersey.
Besides that we'll swapping 2 Springbok frontrowers for another 2. Smit and Carstens will be on the bench with BEAST and Bismarck coming in. :D

Latest posts