• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sharpe axed from Australian squad

F

Fushitsusha

Burgess is also out of the squad due to injury...

Stirling Mortlock ©, Ben Alexander, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Berrick Barnes, Al Baxter, Richard Brown, Sam Cordingley, Ryan Cross, Matt Dunning, Rocky Elsom, Adam Freier, Matt Giteau, James Horwill, Peter Hynes, Hugh McMeniman, Drew Mitchell, Dean Mumm, Stephen Moore, Wycliff Palu, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Benn Robinson, Brett Sheehan, George Smith, Timana Tahu, Lote Tuqiri, Lachie Turner, Phil Waugh, Dan Vickerman.

I don't understand why Vickerman is in the squad despite the fact he is leaving at the end of the campaign. Last week his coming on the pitch coincided with the lineouts turning into shambles yet somehow this seems to be held against Sharpe, despite the fact he wasn't on the field. For gods sake, we have decent lock talent, get a young bloke into play the position. McMenimen for example, he's being playing loose but god dammit, he's young and one for the future. Absolutely ****** me off they can be this short sighted. (excempting Elsom as there is no one near him)

I don't understand why Vickerman is in the squad despite the fact he is leaving at the end of the campaign. Last week his coming on the pitch coincided with the lineouts turning into shambles yet somehow this seems to be held against Sharpe, despite the fact he wasn't on the field. For gods sake, we have decent lock talent, get a young bloke into play the position. McMenimen for example, he's being playing loose but god dammit, he's young and one for the future. Absolutely ****** me off they can be this short sighted. (excempting Elsom as there is no one near him)
[/b]

The lineouts were a shambles well before Vickerman came on.

They actually got worse due to Polata-Nau throwing the ball everywhere except for where it needed to go.

It was either too short, not straight, or to the wrong jumper. But, he's always been **** at throwing lineouts and it's the only thing holding him back from starting for the Wallabies.

Vickerman is by far the best lineout jumper in the country and deserves to be there. I predict that after this year he might not play for the Wallabies again simply because he'll be out of professional rugby for two years and will not be up to that level. Despite that, Deans needs to play him.

I can understand why Sharpe was dumped, however I wasn't expecting it.

His only real strength is in the lineout, and he was woeful against a team we've dominated against in the lineouts for a few years now. He's no good with ball in hand and absolutely useless at the breakdown.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw him weeded out of the team over the next couple of years. Especially when you've got younger guys like Horwill, Chisholm, Mumm and Kimlin all looking good.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw him weeded out of the team over the next couple of years. Especially when you've got younger guys like Horwill, Chisholm, Mumm and Kimlin all looking good.[/b]
Exactly, that's who we need in their NOW, if it doesn't work out bring in Vickerman but he's been injured for how long? He is hardly going to be the top of his game. I'm just hoping this isn't a continuation of a trend of thinking short term aka. the front row since forever.

<div class='quotemain'>
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw him weeded out of the team over the next couple of years. Especially when you've got younger guys like Horwill, Chisholm, Mumm and Kimlin all looking good.[/b]
Exactly, that's who we need in their NOW, if it doesn't work out bring in Vickerman but he's been injured for how long? He is hardly going to be the top of his game. I'm just hoping this isn't a continuation of a trend of thinking short term aka. the front row since forever.
[/b][/quote]

Hopefully there's hope on the horizon with Foley possibly taking on the NSW's forwards coach job.

Hopefully...

His axing caught me by surprise, although I do agree with some of the previous people who commented that Australia rugby has some younger candidates to carry on... like Mumm, Horvill, and Chisholm. Even Mcmanniem (sp is atrocious), would be a better selection than Sharpe, or Vickerman for that matter. I think Australia is another country that needs to start looking down the road to NZ'11 and selecting around that.

We are looking down the track.. They couldve easily dropped Horwill and left Sharpe in there..

We need Vickerman.

We are looking down the track.. They couldve easily dropped Horwill and left Sharpe in there..

We need Vickerman.[/b]
Oh, well that's fine then, Dunning is on the bench instead of starting, the front row doesn't need to be sorted at all anymore.

Hopefully this will sort out the front row -

http://news.rugbyheaven.com.au/sport/foley...80817-3wys.html

Wallabies assistant coach Michael Foley will join the Waratahs coaching staff next season after signing a three-year deal with NSW Rugby.

The former Test hooker will end a three-season stint with the national team when he takes on a new role as a Waratahs forwards coach from January.

"I have enjoyed my time with the Wallabies immensely and there is still much to be done over the next few months," Foley said.

"Looking further ahead, what this opportunity with the Waratahs provides is an appealing opportunity to be at home more frequently.

"With four children, that's very important to me and my family.

"The travel demands over the past three seasons have been extensive."

Waratahs coach Chris Hickey said Foley's acquisition would provide continuity in the coaching ranks.

"Michael's been working hard with our forwards for some time now and we've seen the results in the Waratahs set piece play and scrummaging in particular," Hickey said.

"During the Super 14 Michael has been a familiar face around the place so to know that we've got him full time now is a major coup for NSW Rugby."

The fact that he was responsible for not improving the Australian scrum and keeping Jeremy Paul out of the Wallabies meant he should've been given the sack after the World Cup.

Latest posts