• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Shoe-Ins

DuncTheDoodle

First XV
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Ospreys
I saw a post the other day that got me wondering: What players, for whatever intenrational side, are truely unreplaceable, and must be on the teamsheet every time? I'm not talknig about coaches favourates, but those who deserve to start every possible game. In or out of form, (Well, imagining it isn't utterly attrochious.) could/should they keep their place?

I'd say:

England-
None, actually. Ben Youngs probaly will become one, but at the moment there are still people breathing down his neck.

Wales-
Gethin Jenkins, Adam Jones, Shane Williams, James Hook

Ireland-
Paul O'Connell, Brian O'Driscoll, Tommy Bowe

Scotland-
Chris Patterson

France-
William Servat, Yannick Jauzion

Italy-
Sergio Parriese, Martin Castrogiavani

New Zealand-
Richie McCaw, Dan Carter, Ma'a Nonu

South Africa-
Pieres Spies, Bryan Habana

Austrailia-
Rocky Elsom, Matt Giteau

Argentina-
Felipe Contepome, Jean Martin Fernandez Lobbe

Last edited:
Dan Cole's becoming one for England as well, he'll be first choice tighthead for a long long time, i reckon

cole is going to be a shoe in think he can be greater than vickery? ( in his best days of course)
i think earls and sexton are becoming the new irish shoe aswell would be a shock if they where dropped

did croft even play in the summer tests? thought tom rees, worsley haskell and mabey a few others could contend his place as moody is a shoe in as curent captain

I saw a post the other day that got me wondering: What players, for whatever intenrational side, are truely unreplaceable, and must be on the teamsheet every time? I'm not talknig about coaches favourates, but those who deserve to start every possible game. In or out of form, (Well, imagining it isn't utterly attrochious.) could/should they keep their place?

I'd say:

England-
None, actually. Ben Youngs probaly will become one, but at the moment there are still people breathing down his neck.

Wales-
Gethin Jenkins, Adam Jones, Shane Williams is not a shoe-in anymore, James Hook

Ireland-
Paul O'Connell maybe not, perhaps Jamie Heaslip instead, Brian O'Driscoll, Tommy Bowe

Scotland-
Chris Patterson is not the player he used to be

France-
William Servat, really?, Yannick Jauzion,

Italy-
Sergio Parriese, and the Bergamasco brother

New Zealand-
Richie McCaw, Dan Carter, Ma'a Nonu

South Africa-
Pieres Spies, Bryan Habana is a shoe-in but not sure why

Austrailia-
Rocky Elsom, Matt Giteau

Argentina-
Felipe Contepome, Jean Martin Fernandez Lobbe

My changes

For Wales I'd say the only ones who must play are

Hook,
S. Jones,
Gethin J
and Adam Jones

Maybe Roberts too.

did croft even play in the summer tests? thought tom rees, worsley haskell and mabey a few others could contend his place as moody is a shoe in as curent captain
Yeah he did, he's first choice 6 for England, but was injured a lot last season, so missed the 6N,
Worselys past it, and Johnson doesn't seem to like Rees. Haskell is his biggest threat, but Croft is much better, and Haskell would be better used on the bench (if at all) as he can do 8 as well

Croft is easily the best back-row available to England. Him not being a shoo-in would be a joke.

Just to update my shoe-ins

Scotland - Ross Ford, Euan Murray (if the match isn't on Sunday), John Barclay, Kelly Brown, John Beattie

Wales - Lee Byrne, Adam Jones, Alun-Wyn Jones, Gethin Jenkins, James Hook, Gavin Henson (if you are cyRil), Jamie Roberts

Ireland - Brian O'Driscoll, Tommy Bowe, Jamie Heaslip

England - Chris Aston, Ben Foden, Tom Croft, Ben Youngs, Courtney Lawes

France - Yannick Jauzion, Thierry Dusautoir, Dimitri Szarzewski

New Zealand - Dan Carter, Ma'a Nonu, Richie McCaw, Brad Thorn, Tony Woodcock, Cory Jane, Kieran Read, Mils Muliaina (I would say Conrad Smith as well)

Australia - Will Genia, Rocky Elsom, David Pocock, Quade Cooper, Matt Giteau, Benn Robinson, Ben Alexander (When fit)

South Africa - Victor Matfield, Pierre Spies, Morne Steyn, Bryan Habana (Unfortunately), Jaque Fourie, John Smit

Italy - Sergio Parisse, Mirco Bergamasco, Mauro Bergamasco, Martin Castrogiovanni, Leonardo Ghiraldini, Alessandro Zanni

Croft slipped my mind, I was only thinknig of Haskell and Worsley when it came to England 6s. I thought I'd picked Heaslip, but I clearly didn't.For some reason, I see Quade Cooper as a current fad, can't see him lasting as he is now for the time Giteau, ect. have managed. And how is Shane not a shoe-in? Can anyone explain that to me?

Stephen Jones is far from a shoe-in. Dan Biggar and Jason Tovey are both an inch or so from over taking him. (In fact, Biggar did just thgat in the second test in NZ) Lee Byrne was a year ago, but has since began to fall from grace, same with Alun Wyn Jones, Bradley Davies is nearing having the 4 shirt for a long, long time, and Charteris would better compliment him than AWJ.

Like **** would I have Biggar or Tovey in the Welsh team over Steve Jones.

Biggar has never shown that he deserves the 10 shirt whilst playing for Wales which is sad as he does for Ospreys. I also don't like his attitude, moaning and arguing with refs. He needs to buck his ideas up as Tovey might overtake him in being next in line for the 10 shirt.

Latest posts